Colors. Please add a saturation adjust if these colors are going to be this silly

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by ZeosPantera, May 29, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It has already been confirmed as an issue with rf2 directly. They have the color saturation nailed in RGB space and thus why some colors are neon. No way to adjust that away with any monitor settings since it is literally clipping at the end of the color spectrum.

2. daWave

daWave Registered

Something like that would be freakin' nice ;)

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yep. I took a few screenshots yesterday and was going over the levels in them, especially the blue channel was clipping very harshly.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I don't see the problem. I like the way the colors look. It makes the scene pop a little and at speed, it'll be easier to pick out braking, turn-in and track out markers.

5. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Clipped channels can't be 'adjusted' back, ie the lost information can't be recovered anywhere down the signal chain. ISI needs to fix this, it looks crap.

6. eobet

eobet Registered

Reds?? What about the glow in the dark green that's on the grass??? And the fact that someone painted the sky with pastel crayons?

Just in case it is a joke... yes, it's quite funny in an understated sort of British way.

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yeah, looking at the video in the first post, I only notice saturated reds, which isn't to be expected when you look at the source textures.

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Imho it's just the standard HDR profile with too high default values. I've tried to import all the tracks into the devmode and with some gamma/light adjustments everything looks far better...so maybe we've to wait for new working HDR profiles...:)

9. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yep, I just completed a red object for the track we're working on at the moment, and it's reacting the way I expect it to :) .

10. Tuttle

Nice! (I did not doubt that...):)

11. eobet

eobet Registered

Someone has to tell me if there is something wrong with my game still, because to me, it's not just the reds, it truly feels like driving a cartoon:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh, my god... the iRacing shot actually looks underexposed next to rFactor2 in that comparison!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  12. Tuttle

As already said we've to wait proper HDR profiles. The build we're actually using is loading nothing, just a flat HDR. So, for now, I suggest you to disable the ingame HDR or you can choose a low sun condition.

I can assure you that with proper HDRs those colors will look mutch more mellow and naturals...I've tried some HDRs tests in portugal and the difference is HUGE...be patient. :)

13. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

14. Tuttle

15. Tuttle

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

[​IMG]

Is it the photo that's over saturated... or is it just the grass? :)

To be honest, I find iRacing's textures to be undersaturated actually:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just look at all that "silly red" at the bottom left photo.

The reason why so many people find iRacing's low saturation realistic it that's because it's kinda "neutral" and lets our brain think whatever it wants to think.
    It's the easy way of making user believe that something looks right. You simply don't have to care much about colors and saturation - it will all just blend in. Kinda like taking black and white photo :)

On the other hand, I think that trying to get life like saturation on monitor may end up badly ("silly red", "silly green" or whatever) and you should aim somewhere between reality and what iRacing is doing.

17. Tuttle

Well...this is a over saturated picture for sure...but you're right about how full colors looks in a sunny day..:)

After this we've to separate how TV colors (broadcast cameras shooting) looks VS real life. EG; full red is the worst color for any CCD/CMOS based electronics ...:)

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The colors in iRacing are definitely dull compared to what I see when I go outside, my first impression of it was indeed that it seems really gray and lifeless (not to mention pretty low end in other respects even with everything maxed, but that's not the subject of this thread), but as far as I've seen at least in ISI tracks the colors are somewhat overdone (and indeed clipping when checking levels in GIMP or Photoshop). A happy medium would be appreciated.

19. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

You may de-saturate the colors by adjusting the color-vibrance in the nvidia control panel to a slightly lower value. Kind of an interim-solution but it's working well for me :)

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

At least, iR has natural color balance. rF makes everything warm... We did (basically feels3 did) a lot of tests to make tarmac just grey. Without success. Any attempt ended up with more or less pink tarmac (you may see on all croft pictures)

You may ask why grey? because without dominant sun, it reflects blue sky mostly. And when sun is high, it's mostly white-yellow rather than pink-violet. Just compare by your self: ir/rl pictures above to rf2 ones. I can feel iR colours looks more real.