Cockpit to be independant of FOV

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MystaMagoo, Jan 6, 2015.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

had major pc problems so not been online for quite a while.

So what is wrong with wanting to view my cockpit while having a lower FOV?
    maybe 'independant' was the wrong word choice?
    maybe we just need more freedom with seat movement?

but regardless
    I want the outside world to change but my cockpit not to change.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The fact that you would see a ton of ceiling in the frame if the pitch was straightened-out proves that the view is too high.

Unless you run a larger FOV than a human has in real-life, then you shouldn't see more ceiling in-game than you do in real-life unless, again, your in-game view is set from a point too high.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Your cockpit is part of the outside world. It's like saying I want everything within 10 feet of me look like I'm using a FOV of 50, but everything else ahead if that to look like a FOV of 25, oh, and for things that are really, really far away, I want them to be viewed from a FOV of 10 so that only those reallyfar objects would be super zoomed-in on so that I could see them with binocular vision. Everything would look so distorted like being some crazy super-drug. It just doesn't make sense; there is only one point from which your view is created from; the angle at which that point expands outdwards is your FOV.

What you can do is create a custom HUD with dials and stuff that look just like the one in your car.

GT Legends had car-specific HUD dials depending on the design of that particular car's actual dials, same with Project Gotham Racing 4 (in single player mode). The HUD dials even light-up appropriately when you turn your headlights on. I always loved thus feature in games. Just made every car feel that much more unique.

Other than making a HUD mod or raising your FOV, I don't really know what else to tell you. Having a fake, static picture of a cockpit from a preset viewpoint and FOV, and having that picture just virtually "glued" onto your screen is just...not right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Boyd

Boyd Registered

Exactly correct.

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

So if I had say a larger screen or more screens my cockpit would scale better with lower FOV?
    What if there was more adjustment available on seat movement?
    Could 'free move' be used to get the desired result?

May as well use bumper cam with on screen dials if you cannot see the cockpit in cockpit cam.
    And to be fair when your driving in the real world you don't really 'see' your dials that much because your focus becomes a little 'tunnel visioned',your cockpit is hardly noticeable.

I suppose it's much better with something like OR whereby you tilt your head and cockpit is there,much like the real world.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm kind of confused. You said you want to be able to see much more of your cockpit, but then you're talking about how you don't really notice the dials and such in real life because you're paying attention to the track, other cars, etc. and so you might as well play using the bumper cam?

Not quite sure I follow you...

And yes, you can use free move to simulate sitting very, very far back. That works.

P.S. Playing from bumper cam means you are viewing the track as if your eyeballs are much too far forwards (front bumper instead of way further back perpendicular to the seat of the car), and also much too low, just a few inches off the ground. So bumper cam is always going to be highly unrealistic no matter the game or car, well unless you're playing a "skeleton" simulator :) ("skeleton" is like luge or bobsledding, but involves just 1 person, laying on his/her stomach, traveling head/face first).

P.S. Ultimately, you can use whatever view you like as it's your game; don't feel like you have to use a particular view. In the end, even RF2 is just a video game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

You don't notice in real life but in real life all you have to do is glance down and there are your dials.
    You cannot glance down in a video game unless of course you have OR,or it's mapped to a button.

Bumper cam could be edited in rF1 but I think that's changed now in rF2?

Is there a 'limit' to seat adjustment?
    I know there is when adjusting in game but the 'co-ords' are in one of the json files which could be edited?

But if one can use free move to move back a bit so one can see dials then that should be ok...

I said use bumper cam as there is a framerate hit when using cockpit and if I have to enable the dials for cockpit I may as well try bumper cam with dials.
    But that may be a moot point if one cannot adjust bumper cam.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well all those files should be adjustable just like in rF1, after all, RF2 is built for modding like it's predecessor, however, I just looked in the vehicle files and I can't see any physics or cam files for any car, stock or 3rd party content. All I see are 4, or so, MAS files which don't seem to open in Notepad. Not sure what's going on, I'm sure the modding section explains all this.

9. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

you need to open the mas file, usually the one named common, with the mas tool. Then you can extract the HDV file located in the MAS and open it with notepad like usual. If you modify the HDV, you need to use the mas tool to re-add it to the mas, save the modified mas out somewhere new (don't overwrite the old one or it won't checksum properly and that mod will be unusable). then in the mas tool use the "create package" button to create a new mod package including the newly altered mas file you just created, along with the other mas files in the cars folder. Then install that mod like any other mod. Not exactly as easy as RF1, I know. If you google "creating rfactor 2 package" theres a post somewhere here on the forums that gives an easy 4 step guide on packaging a new edited mas

the mas tool is included with your rf2 installation at Documents\rFactor2\Support\Tools

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Sit in a real car, with a real camera and zoom in. You will not see cockpit in camera.

Car is part of the 3D world. It's not an image painted on your monitor. If you zoom in, you zoom in.

You want to zoom in and see wider at the same time. The only way to have wider view is to either zoom out or have larger display.

Unless you go for a certain trick:

The more you move the camera back, the smaller the cockpit becomes on your screen. Then you can zoom in to get it bigger again. This gives you lesser fow with cockpit still on screen, but there's a catch.
    Since you moved camera away, car window gives you narrower view area. Simply put - you see less through front window. It's like with your home window - the closer you get to it, them more of the world you will see.

It can make driving more difficult, since you will not be able to see things you would normally see from proper seat position.

To sum it up - what you're asking for is basically wrong, but it's your choice. If you still want your experience changed in such unrealistic way then go for it. Don't expect anyone opening his .mas files for you, though. It's your own choice to do something unusual, so it's your own work to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

how would be monitor size and position to use lowest fov(10) ingame? Maybe back of my head?

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Experiment with the FOV calculator until it gives you an answer of 10 degrees. You would have to have a very small monitor and/or have the monitor positioned quite far from you.

13. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I should look at the formula. I thought the relation between was closer monitor~lower fov
    thanks

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No problem Luis

15. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

:)

Which fov calculator do you use for 3 screens?

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nope, closer and/or larger monitor equals larger FOV because the screen is taking up much more of your FOV. Think of the monitor as a window while the game imaginarily takes place all around you.

RFactor 2 uses a vertical FOV rather than horizontal, therefore it doesn't matter if you use more than 1 screen unless your monitors are vertically next to (above/below) each-other rather than horizontally.

Any of the calculators should give you the same answer. Google "rfactor fov" and it'll probably be the second link.

17. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

You are right, if i remember correctly, Oculus Rift uses higher FOV

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm sorry to drag this back up, but...

Are you saying the camera isn't at eye-height? Or are you saying eye-height is incorrect?

I didn't say seeing more ceiling and floor is unrealistic. It's not generally what people aim to do though.

I know when I sit in my car most of my vertical FOV is occupied by the interior of the car. The windscreen is actually a pretty good match for my single monitor setup, vertically; The problem with using this realistic FOV (for me) is that I then can't see much to the sides. I could use a very high FOV to match my real life peripheral vision, but because of the large difference between the virtual and actual FOV it gets very distorted and the bit I'm actually looking at pretty much all the time (that is, the road in front of me) is getting smaller and harder to see - and pixelated. So like a lot of people I have something in between - higher than real monitor FOV, but not as high as my real life view.

I think people forget how much of their car interior they can actually see when they're in a car. We tend to focus on what we're looking at and block out the periphery. It's like when I have my old camera (old as in age; it's still my current camera!) in my hand and am looking at something, and I think "hey, I'll zoom in and take a picture of that"... but when I go to its maximum 4x zoom what's in the frame is basically what I was looking at - not zoomed in at all. Just by focusing on something I'd 'zoomed in' and ignored the surrounds.

So if you want to talk about realistic, first have a look at what realistic actually is.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure I agree with you and always did, Lazza, unless I'm not understanding.

20. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

If I might inquire, why do you want to reduce your FOV?