Cleaning Your Wheel & Pedals Does Matter... A Lot

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by taufikp, Jan 9, 2013.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Following the post from Navigator about cleaning up the steering wheel to get 'like new' feeling, I decided to clean my pedals first. My wheel is a Logitech Momo Black, and the pedal was starting to squeaky-squeak and felt like there were some small gravels inside.

Opening the pedal require you to peel the rubber pads in four corners as well, there are four 'hidden' screws in those corners.

When opening the pedal, make sure the position is upside down, in other words, the pedals must be at the bottom, and the underside is facing top/you. It will be better if you put this pedal on your lap, as I found this position make me work much easier.

After the pedal platform was opened, I began to clean them. The amount of collected dust and other small particles were unbelievable. No wonder since this is the first time I open the pedal since I bought it in 2004 :) I also actually had to reduce the amount of grease inside. Logitech people put the grease almost everywhere, and this generous grease application trapped dusts and other stuffs inside.

I put some tissue in the potentiometer holder, to reduce their tiny movement. After reassembly, I launched Windows game/joystick properties app, to check the position of brake and accelerator pedal. I noticed that the brake pedal when fully released, the needle did not stay at zero position, but little bit higher, about one strip higher. Meanwhile, the accelerator pedal when fully pressed, the needle only reach about 5 strips under the maximum point. No big deal for me, since rFactor and other racing/driving games mostly have their own wheel calibration/setup procedure. The most important for me is the pedal's smoothness, and the squeaky noise is gone.

I launched rF2, recalibrate my wheel from Controller settings window. While fully press the brake/accel pedal, click 'Set Max', releasing the pedal, click 'Set Min' and that's all. The min and max position for brake and accel pedal are indeed changed, just like what the joystick properties window indicated.

So, I launched the Test Day, driving several laps with F2 2012 mod, and the pedals are now feeling smooth, no more squeaks. *put happy face here*

Next stop: cleaning up my steering wheel. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013