Chrome Colors for S397 Cars.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by D.Painter, Feb 28, 2019.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I say S397 cars only because at this time their the only cars that are using the new shaders. This tut will possibly apply to all mods if there set up the same way.
    So! How do I get this..????
    upload_2019-2-28_16-26-48.png
    Note; This color is example only. This can be any color, Red, Green, Blue, what ever you need.

First job is to paint you livery just as you normally would.
    Set the regions up as is the new norm. Personally I use all 5 regions including the ALPHA one.
    Note; The Alpha region only works if you use Alpha Channel on the Regions DDS. I realize this goes against the S397 tutorial but it's up to you but if you choose to ignore me and DXT1 "No Alpha" you not only loose 1 region, you also loose the ability to control the depth of shine that the Alpha Channel still gives you the same as it always did.

When setting up the livery use a darker color to the one you wish to chrome. You can use any off the Color! regions for this but I would recommend "not" to use BLACK, BLACK is the only Region that has Metallic fleck so if your livery requires a Metallic paint you need to use BLACK for this.

This is a base template to show the color I've use to get Chrome, Nothing more.
    upload_2019-2-28_16-43-28.png
    This color is R133 G99 B33 but it is under a darkening shade layer that is set at 22% Transparency. Darkens a 255 start white to 201. All colors are darken by this. Make sure you "don't" darken the region map. Make the regions layer group above this layer.
    Note; All the Carbon fibre, the AM logo are controlled by the Alpha Region.
    The colors for the livery would have all 4 other regions available.
    Because the Alpha controls the Carbon and others mentioned the region can be set up without the need to double up on these areas.
    So the Region looks something like this.
    upload_2019-2-28_16-51-21.png
    On the car in the showroom the GREEN is the base color, the BLUE is the side skirts that you can see are "Not" Chromed. The Blue region here is set to Matte Paint. for example.

Load the car in the showroom.
    Open Painteditor.
    upload_2019-2-28_17-8-14.png
    The GREEN region is the one we've Chroming for this example. Again, you can use any off the 4 Color regions for this.
    Once this is set, reload the car in the showroom.
    upload_2019-2-28_17-14-25.png
    This loads the setting to the json file. Regions used and colors.

So far nothing is different from what you've always done to skin the new cars with the region system.

Now however is the clincher.
    Open the json file using a editing app. Notebook is a Windows installed app that works fine for this.
    Scroll down to the Region color you wish to Chrome.
    Copy and pasd this, EXAMPLE is GREEN. This will be what you choose for the Region. Recommend "not" BLACK.
    "Green":{
    "baseCoatRefractiveIndex":2,
    "baseCoatRoughness":0.00275623,
    "baseCoatSpecStrength":9.50168,
    "clearCoatRefractiveIndex":10,
    "clearCoatRoughness":0,
    "lacquerColour":[

Save the change to the json but "Do Not Turn It OFF"
    Reload the car in the showroom. Now these new entries should wok/stay.
    If you close the json before you reload the car the edited changes will be over written deleting your edit.! Resave the json before closing so it over writes what the reload changed.

I've done this few times now. Restarted rFactor a few times and gone back to the same car. Visited other cars, then gone back to this and it's stayed.
    Most off this will be and has been trial and error so you need to be aware I can't help you, you need to work through this.

Have fun...
    D. Painter.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Hocician

Hocician Registered

Nice One!! Thanks for this detailed instruction and the work you had for this!! will try it tonight!

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Example of two regions being used.
    Had to edit this line to get the red to come out more , "clearCoatRefractiveIndex":2.5,
    Like I said, You'll need to play.
    upload_2019-2-28_18-33-31.png

Ernie, F1Aussie and Nitrometh like this.
  4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Once you understand the new system, the chromed ones are easy to make, although the reality is that in competition they are not used, only the Arabs buy cars of gold, or white gold or silver,maybe they use chrome in some small parts of the car, but I never saw the whole car

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

good contribution for those who want and do not know how you can achieve,all help is welcome +1

6. Hocician

Hocician Registered

yeah but there are a lot of racecars who use cromish liveries these days... mostly not the whole car but parts of it and sometimes all of the livery is coloured Chrom...

The-Saudi-Falcons-Porsche-GT3-Cup-Middle-East-1-1024x682.jpg

5887rp22.jpg

imago39028324h8-1551200387.jpg

juanchioooo likes this.
  7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I think the mercedes of f1 is not silver has color cris not chrome, in other cars if there are parts certainly, but it is not all the car

8. lagg

lagg Registered

McLaren did it.
    [​IMG]

Hocician likes this.
  9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Can't believe the stupid!!!
    The pictures above a purely Examples! off the working color chrome. No more than that.
    "Not" a Example off a Real race car. Didn't I write the word "Example only" enough? Must be there at least 4 times without going back to re read!

Chrome color is as common as matte colors are on race cars and has been for years now. Ever since vinyl wrap have been the normal. To say it's rarely seen I'd suggest you get a new TV.

K9VING likes this.
  10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

In comparison with all the cars that are seen in all the categories, the whole chromos are very few, but I said that certainly there are!

lagg likes this.
  11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I already told you above that: good contribution for those who want and do not know how you can achieve,all help is welcome +1

I did not say that there were no cases, what I meant was that: in comparison there are very few who use the whole car, that if there are many with parts

I am sorry if the translator does not write correctly and it is misunderstood

12. Hocician

Hocician Registered

hey everything allright... no problem here! :)

juanchioooo likes this.
  13. Bastian Paisler

Bastian Paisler Registered

Any idea how to make chrome more matte?

14. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

It's very convoluted. If you are able to get to the point where you are able to get your car to the show room, you can edit the reflective numbers for your chrome region color in the .json. I think the chrome, they have the default set to 50. Just play around with the numbers until you get your desired result.

I'm not at my PC, but I hope that helps with out screen shots. I don't think you can change those values on the Material site the way it currently is.