Check out our Rig

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by York Motorsports Village, Sep 5, 2017.

1. York Motorsports Village

York Motorsports Village Registered

Triple projection wrap around screen - Full Size F1 Cockpit - Full Leo Bodnar SimSteering 2 (54) Controller - GP2 Steering wheel - Fully adjustable Electronic Pedals - Twin Channel Amp for a very loud experience [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    https://www.ymsv.co.uk/simulator/
    upload_2017-9-5_19-14-41.png

CamiloNino, bravotangosix and wgeuze like this.
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Honestly ? Those "loose" front wheels are not exactly nice to see...

F1Aussie likes this.
  3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Nice stuff YMV, really profesisonal looking setup there :)

@Fanapryde
    With a correct seating position and true to life formula tub, just the top couple of inches of the front wheels is visible (at most).

4. York Motorsports Village

Granted it doesn't look great from this angle but when you are sat down in the cockpit it looks spot on, i'll upload you a photo from first person :)

5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

I'm aware of that, but what do we get to see here ?
    The top half of the wheels, without being connected to anything...
    This is what it should look like (can't be more correct than this):
    Skip to 1:30 if you wish.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

But, your post show exactly that, you can not see the suspension parts :p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Just wondering, did you have a look at the video in the ymsv link in the OP ? :rolleyes:

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

No I haven't seen a video, that is true :)

edit:
    Ah yes, I see. The problem with your perception of this being wrong is how these sorts of sims are set up in the first place. Everything revolves around the driver, the only way everything lines up correctly, and is intended to, is from the drivers eye. Any camera angle other than that pov or very close to it will show you the view as the driver sees it.

This is usually even worse for motion sims + platform tracking, most of the times it looks 'off' as a spectator. Untill you get in the physical tub or cockpit, then it all does make sense :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Even if I force myself in the drivers's eye position, I can't imagine it giving the right view. Above that, It seems to be missing rear view mirrors...
    My triple 27" setup, at a 45° angle and 58cm from my eyes, gives me a much better view (compared to the RL video, because I have never been inside a F1 car). ;)

10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

How much is it??

11. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Very nice.
    But, for the ultra-super-simulation, turn of the air conditioning. :D:D:p

12. York Motorsports Village

Ok, Maybe I can put it bed, here is the drivers view, this is my personal favorite view but the wheel height can be adjusted for each individual preference, also you can remove the wheels all together, I think it looks pretty much the same as in the Hulkenberg Video above.
    Sim front view.jpg

Prodigy and Ernie like this.
  13. York Motorsports Village

How much did the rig cost or how much to hire?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. York Motorsports Village

Very true but believe me after sitting in there for 1 hour in full race suit and helmet you need it :)

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I hope you've got the proper license for RF1 from ISI as you are charging people to use the simulator :)

16. York Motorsports Village

All legit mate :)

MarcG likes this.
  17. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

That's more in the right direction ;)
    If you can remove / add parts, are the rear view mirrors removed too ?
    Also curious, which pedals are used ?
    Btw: I like the Bodnar set :)

18. York Motorsports Village

The Pedals are a bit of a mystery so I have uploaded this top down pic, it's not very accessible IMG_1680.JPG , there is no manufacturer name but they are controlled by the Bodner control box, all fully adjustable, you can also see the reservoir for the brake pedal cylinder which gives you awesome feedback :) Also yes you can add or remove the wing mirrors, I prefer them off :)

Fanapryde likes this.
  19. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I can't help but applaud the load-cell-hydro-brake, as I've been using a similar (DIY) rig myself for more than ten years--a Toyota single circuit master cylinder with load cell directly attached in my case.

[BTW...I think you have a small fluid leak there... :D]

Sounds like your rig goes mine even better with vibrational feedback though? Or not? In any case, I would guess there is a DIY element to your setup too...or is that something you purchased directly from Bodnar too?

20. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

FWIW, the Williams F1 simulator from a few years back (running rF1 software then, I think) dispensed with unnecessary screen elements too, though in that case the whole cockpit moved forward into position after loading up (at least as I recall it) before driving. The essential point is that, from the drivers perspective, even the rendered suspension and brake duct may not even be seen...unless he leans far enough one way to get a quick look before "going out."

The more important point, which the Hulkenberg video shows clearly is that the drivers hands and the wheel rim itself block--entirely--any view to the outside of a corner when the wheel is turned about ninety degrees. It "works" because the drivers eyes will be looking the opposite way, into the apex of the corner. Even for a tall (6'4"+) driver like me this is probably going to be true in any modern F-car (survival cell) cockpit--despite being 6" taller than a driver of normal stature, my actual driving-eye level might be only a couple of inches higher than his and I might see a tiny bit more of the nose...but not much. This simulator reflects that pretty well--certainly better than most I've seen, but I would opine the view is still a bit "too high." Close, but still too high.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017