Cheap alternative to laser scanning

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by FlyPT, Dec 3, 2013.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You came through! Fantastic, great project man :D

2. FlyPT

FlyPT Registered

Thanks,

If you have any problem loading the sample project, please go to the download page to get latest version.
    I left errors related to the localization and decimal separator. I'm right now updating the files to correct those errors.
    There are more, but with time I hope to get them all.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm currently at work and on mobile, but just read through the instructions and guide, very complete "package", thank YOU!

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I've not yet tried your tool since I have neither notepad or web cams :p

But I'm thinking about wether it might be possible to do your magic from ONE camera - GoPro, drone attached with a sort of 'split screen' done with mirrors to still obtain stereo, only in same frame, this would also eliminate ALL sync/focus/colour -issues, etc.

Food for thought ?

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Flypt -PM sent

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

flypt where have you gone ....come back

7. FlyPT

FlyPT Registered

Hi,

I'm alive! I'm paying attention to what's going on.
    I'm working on a new version, but really slowly. Work and family are priority, but I think all is calming down and I will get some free time to work on PVS and a new project I have to use the point clouds.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Flypt

great your back, I've progressed with the plan a tad using a static laser scanner which makes it a bit more of a serious project with organising & when it finally comes to it .....actual scan time etc but I think results will be much better, I'm seeing the scanner in action next week
    (doing some scanning that's unrelated to sim racing etc )

but out of interest it will be great to get hold of one of your (latest) point cloud so I can examine close up the physical road texture ?

if your system gives half decent results it means almost any track can be scanned during a not so busy open track day

edit, I'm trying to get I'm with a local track at the mo,
    with a faster scan method I thought it would be a good idea to do some street circuits -scanning some actual roads close to my house,
    so it would be a real environment real roads but a non existing race circuit
    ( barriers / cones added )
    public roads (the ones near me) have an awful lot of character and I'm wondering how well that would translate into rf2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  9. FlyPT

FlyPT Registered

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

brill

I'll give it a try over weekend, I'll be also getting a sample scan from the static scanner to have a fiddle with, I can let you have that for you to compare too if it's of use to you etc

I'm very interested in road surface & more than anything else -irregular camber / small inclines / declines etc so it'll be interesting to see how your scan stacks up

cheers again