Chassis INI - Body width?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'm working on my next project. As my evolution of modding and physics editing continues, I'm starting to lean on the Physics Calculator sheet more. Boy it is powerful if you have the car information, but it is frustrating if you do not.

So I'm having an issue at the moment, that I can't quite solve yet. The model i have is very accurate. So I used the 3d geometry points for the location of the ball joints, upright locations, push rods, toe rods, etc. The issue I have is that it seems like there is an offset applied so that all of the points are narrower than what it is graphically.

Attach is a pic. The red is where the current spots are. Green is where they should be. This is the front, but it affects the rear as well.

I'm still very new, but the search for real world parts and manuals has been fun at times, and extremely frustrating when it doesn't work. 20221230152229_1.jpg

2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Maybe is your spindle location not matching your source material? The spindle location can be moved, and it is the reference point for the rf2 physics. However that wouldn't explain the inner positions being wrong by a different amount - as your picture shows. It's a hard question.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Chris Lesperance Hello Chris, can it be that you clicked the Button "Adjust Cords to CG" in the Susp Tab of the Spreadsheet?

4. Chris Lesperance

I did. I'll need to double check. But I'm pretty sure it moved everything in the opposite direction I needed it to go.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Do you also use the Flex Chassis.ini, that gets generated from the Spreadsheet?
    If not, you should do that. and then recheck the Position Values of all Geometry in the Susp Tab and if it's not the one that you have entered, enter the correct Positions again.
    And then don't ever click the Button "Adjust Cords to CG".
    Export the Physics Files again and recheck the Positions in DevMode.
    You can also check some Positions in the Chassis.ini, if they match your entered Values in the Spreadsheet.
    For Example:
    The Front Left Fore Upper Arm is in the Section FL_FORE_UPPER
    Check the first Value of the Entry LocalOffsetA=(.... (inner Connection)
    That normally should match your Spreadsheet Value in the Cell D14 (Spreadsheet Version 0.35).
    If you can not solve it, i can offer to take a Look into it, if you upload the Mod and Spreadsheet and send me the Link by Mail.

Chris Lesperance and Emery like this.
  6. Chris Lesperance

I am using the generated chassis.ini. So I'm thinking it is an HDV line some where. I don't have everything fully in the spreadsheet yet. Things like the packers, cambers, roll bars, etc. So I have an existing .hdv that I am copying and pasting the values from the spreadsheet .hdv into the "current" .hdv. Hopefully that makes sense. I'll see if I can get more things cleaned up in the next few days and I'll get it sent over. I'm also having a suspension issue like what I had with the DP01. NOt sure if I can quite fix it or if it is something fundamentally that I'm doing wrong.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Normally no HDV (and i guess Damage.ini too) Setting should move the Suspension Parts in that Way.
    Did you compare the X Values, like i have written above (ensure that it is the one that also the 3D Geometry has, from that you say that you use these Positions).
    When the 3D X Positions are entered into the Spreadsheet and also appear unchanged in the Chassis.ini, the Geometry that the DevMode shows (the thin Lines) should match these Positions.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

..... wait, i forgot 2 Values in the HDV.
    Check the
    FrontWheelTrackRange=
    RearWheelTrackRange=
    Entries.

Use the from the Spreadsheet calculated ones.
    They should match the used Geometry Data.

9. Chris Lesperance

So I think I'm slowly figuring things out. Still running into a few issues. But I'm getting closer. I'm writing this down for future reference or for anybody else that might have had the same experiences.

Suspension Width - FrontWheelTrackRange and RearWheelTrackRange do play a roll. At the time, I was also trying "0.0" in the .hdv as those values, to no avail. What I think I found out is that the calculations is taken from the spindle location. That is the anchor point and the other points for the suspension is based from there. I ended up having the spindle point and the wheel point on the spreadsheet be the same for thing to line up. This is the same for wheel base as well. I recalculated the 3d model points and put those numbers in as the values.

Car graphically raised up from the Mod Dev suspension view - Fix: look at model and see if origin is at bottom of car or bottom of tires. If at tires, car will graphically be higher. :)

Inertia box - At some point, the magenta boxes were not lined up. I didn't get a picture but I drew it up quick. I honestly have no idea how that happened, or how I fixed it. But if somebody might have an idea, I'd like to know what I did.
    Inertia.JPG

My current issue:
    The car currently has an opposite rake. The front is exactly where it needs to be, both from the graphics and physics perspective. The rear, the suspension lines up, but the car model is sitting about 15 cm too low. The 3d model is good. Just not sure what is causing the car to be graphically low in game.

EDIT: As I was typing this out, I had a thought. I think that I might have the radius or diameter value for the rear tires wrong in the spread sheet. I'm using some existing tires, so I don't think I have that matched up in the sheet. I'll get a picture and double check those values when I get home tonight.

Emery likes this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

@Chris Lesperance The whole Thing is hard to judge, especially because you copy Lines from the Spreadsheet and paste them into the existing HDV as you have said. :)
    It's definitely better, to export HDV and Chassis.ini from the Spreadsheet.
    With the Height, also check the possible Travel of the Dampers.
    If that is too low, the Body can of course not get high enough.
    And also check the HDV Values GraphicalOffset= and set them all to 0, to avoid any Influence from that.
    There can always be several Reasons for many Problems and, as said, it's hard to judge, without to have the whole Mod on the own Computer.

11. Chris Lesperance

I was having some initial crashing when doing the export from the sheet. I now have everything in the sheet with the exception of the engine and driveline sections of the HDV, and the TBC file name. I think the damper should be ok. I believe the real car had the same damper on all 4 corners. I'm pretty sure I have replicated that in the sheet, but I'll need to double check.