Chassis.ini - body, spindles, wheels. Geometry. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by mantasisg, Jan 23, 2020.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

In this thread I would like to ask: -is there any general rules regarding how to deal with these elements in chassis.ini fle, and just questions, and then more questions...

#1. How to change sub bodies/spindles and wheels locations and inertias/mass without causing any glitches and crashes ? I have a car which for some reason always appear with wrong wheelbase. I believe it could be because I have changed sub-bodies parameters with ptool. Anything more I have tried, I only made it worse.

#2. To begin with, I am working on 1967 and 1954 car packs that started from Howston G4 and Cobra as base cars, and are being progressively advanced and using less and less legacy from the base cars. Recently I have attempted to mod three more unique tires for 1967. I started with "GY 25.5x9.0-15x9" tire and by using these beautiful tools I got some wheels, one of them is 6.5_R10_165/70 for Mini, quite a risky one.

Doesn't work so well with front geometry especially, I guess because it must be because tire is so much lower than the base one. I had so much mess trying to figure it out. Essential issue was that tires cambered like crazy. I was fixing that and got rid of that, but now I have massive toes set at front. I thought that my steering arms links were too short and they were running out of arc radius and causing the toes with bigger ride height, so I tried longer steering rods, and surprisingly it caused even crazier. I wonder if those also could be glitches that happens because some errors with wheels, sub-bodies and spindles...

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@mantasisg You have written "I have a car which for some reason always appear with wrong wheelbase".
    Does that mean, that the positions of the wheels in the chassis ini are the correct ones and on track they are wrong?
    If yes, check the wheelbase and wheeltrack values in the hdv file.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you make geometry changes your hdv steering might need updating. Personally I found it best to use the s397 spreadsheet, avoids a lot of potential errors though it does take a while to populate at first.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Bernd Yes and no. I have values for wheelbase and tracks in HDV, I generally find that having correct wheelbase and tracks isn't really needed in chassis.ini. Though perhaps I am not aware of something. But, I have tried to match wheelbase in chassis.ini as well and it made no difference in game. Actually I had worse results with that. So I think I may have encountered some error, something is mismatching or just isn't in a ballpark that it should be in. Interestingly it appears correct in replays, and of course with AI, so I suppose both of those use .pm file.

I wonder if it is possible that something is mismatching between .pm and chassis.ini files, as it is the only car from the pack that has entirelly different chassis.ini, not derived from .pm file that is used, though I suppose those shouldn't depend on each other directly.

@Lazza Yes those sheets needs a lot of time to fill in, thats the reason I have never used them yet, also because I work starting from some base car, and not starting like from totally empty sheet of paper. But I can't understand what in HDV could interfere, I think biggest chance is that there could be somethign related with ride height, camber, toe and caster values to cause something weird, but can't really see how yet.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If they use the new steering system, the steering positions (left and right steering arm connections, at centre and at each steering lock) are defined in the HDV. If you change geometry, those positions do all sorts of strange things. If they use the old steering system (no coordinates, just a steering lock amount and ratio) it should be fine.

mantasisg likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That could be useful for me with one other car, thank you. But the one that has this trouble has the old way, just general steering lock and wheel lock angles.

I have one question about geometry which could relate to the problem. I was never sure what is the ride height that body connections of the arms in chassis.ini is. I always supposed that it is default ride height that is in setup made with .hdv file. I mean, if I would change default ride height in .hdv, would the suspension arms connections remain at the same coordinates ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am still having trouble with R10 wheels messing up, I think perhaps I just should try runing ttool for those tires. I am not sure if I have all those hours for that, and if I could do ttool properly in the first place...

I have partly solved the second issue with the wheelbase. Not fully, because I am still lost a bit. I was able to fix the thing by naming "FRONT/REAR_SUBBODY" properly, I think it was messing up something because it was like "Front_SubBODY" before. I think that reworking last "[Constraint] Type=AnisoOriJoint_0Name="BodyJoint2"" helped. Interestingly the wheelbase then wasn't fixed yet, but it flipped over from being too long, to too short. Following that dialing back original SUBBODIES locations and inertia and mass parameters helped to move the wheels to their supposed locations, I think inertia values had most impact there. So I am quite confused to what extent and how can I modify these things till I mess up something.

Also during this time I had once this error which gave me this line in the log:
    "After subtracting tire rigid ring mass and inertia from a wheel, the wheel's values went to zero or below! Note that this may be due to some combination of upgrades!"

, which was quite strange because these seemed much lower in .tgm for tire than I had set in chassis.ini for wheels.

So so far in conclusion, I am a bit confused with all these intertia and location stuff, hardly makes sense yet.

hstevefrancis likes this.