Character Limit on Virtual Driver .RDC names

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

This is more of an FYI, as this is something I just came across. In selecting virtual ride drivers I had set up, some were loading in a default car, or the top car in the car selection list. With that, i discovered there is a 27 character limit on the file name. A "space" will count as a character.

In this example:
    RTI20_Eduardo Barrichello_22.rcd = 28 = The game loads the first car in the list
    RTI20_EduardoBarrichello_22.rcd = 27 = The game loads this car as intended

I had to shorten RTI20_Yuven Sundaramoorthy_21.rcd to RTI20_YuvenSundaramoorthy21.rcd in order to make this one work.

Please also note that this is for the .RCD name, the line within the .RDC and the folder that the textures are stored.

Capture.JPG

Emery, svictor, Lazza and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nice find!

Just as a background of sorts, this is likely because internally the names are stored in 32-byte strings. The 32nd byte is a terminator (0 value, indicates the end of the string [series of characters]), so there are 31 useable characters, and ".rcd" uses the last 4. So max 27.

Hopefully they can increase it to 64 at some point, should cater for nearly all names and reasonable additions then.