Changing wheel offset ingame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrada, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Torrada

Torrada Registered

Hello guys, I'm new over here, sorry if this question is already answered somewhere but I coudn't find it. So, I would like to know if it is possible to change the wheel offset ingame (a option of some kind in game). Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

3. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I think he means indexing the wheel which would be used for the oval guys. It's a question I'd like to see the answer to as well.

Torrada likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll take a stab:

You can change the centre point, and the left- and right-points, for your wheel. In Settings -> Controls, you'll see graphs that move when you move your controls. Under those graphs are buttons, the steering graph has Min, Center, Max. Move your wheel to where you want the center to be, and click Center. You may also want to adjust the min (left) and max (right) extremes, so that the steering ratio is consistent left and right (if you change the center but not the extremes, one side will have 'quicker' steering).

6. Torrada

Torrada Registered

This is a guide to wheel rotation lock, not offset. What I'm looking for is making the wheel hold straight while the car is turning (like in indy or nascar the cars pull to the left, but this is thanks to the suspension), I wanted to see if there were a way to make the car pull to the right
    Can't try this now, I'll try it later and see if it is what I'm looking for, but our friend @Love Guitars n Cars know what I'm trying to say. I'll try and explain, when in oval the car wants to go left so I'll adjust the wheel (wheel offset) so the car is always turning right (and the wheel will be centered) so I can go in a straight line and don't need to hold the wheel a bit turned to the right. I hope it helped to understand what I'm looking for.

7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Usually done by have different settings from side to side. Just look at the default oval setups to get an idea what to do. You can't set wheel offset in settings.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, yep. Just be aware the setting I'm referring to is obviously just a game setting. Doesn't affect the physics at all.

Also, to make it work you need to set the center with your wheel pointing to the left a bit, so that when it's straight the game sees it as pointing right. Now there's a completely clear sentence.

9. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Sometimes an oval setup can be pretty extreme so when going down the straight the users wheel is turned pretty far right to keep the car straight. Indexing a steering wheel means the users wheel would be straight up and down instead of far right going down the straights. It's a comfort thing and not a physics thing. I'm assuming rF2 doesn't allow this without like you said, adjusting in the controls section.

Torrada likes this.
  10. AceLain

AceLain Registered

with the StockCar you have to keep the wheel turn to go straight...

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@AceLain yes, but it seems fairly common for people to 'index' (re-index?) the wheel so that it's straighter down the straights. Bit of a personal preference thing - some people like to have the wheel straight, or close to straight, on the straights, while others prefer to turn it right on the straights so they aren't turning it so much in the corners.

That in itself you can somewhat do with the controls settings above. You may prefer to check the controller.JSON file in order to get the values exactly where you want them.

AceLain likes this.
  12. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Hi ! i have bought this game only for Oval and i have a very bad feeling in the steering wheel compared to my old iracing experiences.

explanations :
    When I turn and keep the steering wheel to the right, out of turn to position me in the straight line, to keep the car straight is very difficult.
    The car is stretching too much to the left. At this moment I increase very slightly my turning to the right, but the car leaves too hard to the right. then I decrease my right rotation a bit, but the car goes to the left, etc etc ... So I pitch a lot with the car ... right left, right left .... it's tiring and very unpleasant. I did not have it at this point on iracing.

My steering wheel is a Thrustmaster TS PC.

There is a solution ?

I don't have modified the setup of the car...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Well, the car is setup to be turning left. You can play with the toe offset in the setup to make it straighter, but it'll be slower.

14. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

... Yep, I know that it is a normal phenomenon to have a more efficient and more easily drivable car in oval, but the instability is clearly exaggerated. I have never see that on real races. I think studio-397 should modify something.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@akai_fr What's your wheel rotation set to?

16. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

900° in the thrustmaster control panel. The game set automatically the good vehicule rotation degrees.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok. Make sure your Speed Sensitivity in the game is set to 0.

*Also, you want to make sure your steering is linear. In the Controls settings you should have your Steering Sensitivity on 100 with 0 deadzone, and when you turn the wheel from full lock to full lock the graph should move steadily across.

18. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Thank you guyz ! all is conform to your advises... and the problem is still here.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@akai_fr I drove the same car without issues. With the automatic steering lock I had my wheel tilted maybe 5° to the right on straights, and had no trouble keeping it under control. I don't know whether you have other settings causing issues or what, but I don't think it's a vehicle issue.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Are you driving the NAscar Stock cars? Those should have setups that pull left to help navigate the turns. You'd have to steer to the right some to counter balance that on the straights.