Changing Steering Wheel Sensitivity Can Make You A Better Driver?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Dec 20, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

In rF2, I used to drive with 10% sensitivity. With this setting, I always had tire scrubbing in every car I drove. My steering input wasn't as small as I wanted to. Then after updating to build 134, I increase this setting to 50%, and the result is amazing. I can give small inputs/corrections to the car, tires are not screaming as loud as before, and my lap times are getting better and consistent.

I test this at LRP no chicane, using Skippy Regional and Clio, and been very happy about this "revelation" :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2013.

2. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I haven't messed with the steering very much. I do believe the slider is currently a little to the left of center.
    I have lowered the Throttle all the way to the left and get along much better with it there. But I used to do the same with rF1 too.

Anyway, next time I play I will remember to play around with the steering slider some more.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

10%?!! Holy crap!! It must of felt like you were driving a bus.

You should have sensitivity at 100% as that will make your wheel linear. Out of curiosity what brand and model of wheel do you have?

1 person likes this.
  4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lmao!!! +1

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

LoL! I think that's the best word to describe how I felt with 10% sensitivity.

My wheel is a Logitech MOMO black. My throttle and brake pedal both are set at 100%.

Using 100% for steering wheel is way too much for me. At the moment I'm quite happy with car handling at 50% sensitivity. Haven't try other car though, I only tried Skippy and Clio so far.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Wow, I have no idea how you could drive with non linear steering XD

Try messing around with the car steering lock values to tone down the steering, and leave the steering sensitivity at 100%
    How does it go..."you should be using 90% of your steering lock at the part of the track you are turning the wheel most" or something like that.

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Haha, yeah, when we were racing together, I was still at 10% setting. Maybe that's why I was all over the place. Keeping smooth cornering (without scrubbing too much) was difficult, and I was using Skippy's default setup.

But now, even with Skip's default setup (regional series), I can get steady lap times at LRP no chicane: 1:00, and sometimes 59.7xx seconds. I'm still too slow for you MB, :D

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

+1 to this advice.

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

g27 here I use 85% sens. For each car I match the steering lock with whatever it says in the rf2 settings and I love the feeling I recommend it

10. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

G25 here, but I think the sensitivity is probably around 85% like yours. I adjust the steering lock depending on how much I want to have to turn the wheel for certain tracks. But I have always used a less than 100% sensitivity in every title I have played, that has the feature. It feels smoother to me at a little less than 100%.

There is a very good detailed article on setting up wheels in race sims. I can't find it though.:confused:
    It was rather old, but info in it was spot on. That is where I learned to lower it some and sure enough, it is much smoother feeling. I know it kinda defies logic, but it does work.

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Steering should be set to linear and speed where steering lock override ends should be lowered from controller.ini (or was it plr file?) Default is 20 meters per second and to get real steering you need to lower that bit more, it should be used only for getting out from garage.

Steering ratio is something you need to look up to, for example if car's max steering lock is 35 degrees and steering wheel of it turns 550 degrees, that is ~7.86:1 ratio (550/2/35), remember that rFactor steering lock is half, so that is why degrees of wheel needs to be divided by 2.

Check each car you drive, what is maximum lock and what degrees it says in garage, then calculate that ratio.

Now 7.86:1 is very fast ratio and I'm not sure if any car actually uses that, but with that ratio you can then calculate steering lock you need to set to get realistic steering.

If your wheel turns 280 degrees, you do math 280/2/7.86 = 17.81 degrees, that is what you need to set in garage.

This way you can experience car how it really drives. For some cars you end up with really little lock, but that is how much you need to turn wheel in real car to get that amount of steering and it is realistic way of setting steering if that is what one is after.

With some cars like Volvo that slow steering plays very large part of how fast one can go with the car, so having faster steering can be efficiently cheating.

Even with low lock one can do well around the track.

Kenworth that I'm working has 14 degrees of lock with 900 degree wheel at the moment, that is slow steering of bus or truck, it still turns to most of the corners just fine, but that steering limits greatly speeds one can use as it is in reality.

We really could use steering ratios instead of locks in garage though ;)

12. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Agree! Steering ratio setting in a garage is easier to understand than steering lock.

I always thought, regardless of the car, bigger steering lock = less responsive car. Is this correct?

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you keep steering wheel rotation same, then yes wheels turn less when you turn half turn of the wheel if you have higher lock.

But I think many have issue where they turn too much, with quick steering it can become habit to correct too late braking by harsher and faster turn in, which may cause slower laptimes and higher tire wear. With slower steering one has to be more precise in entry, imo.

If you increase steering lock and increase amount wheel turns in same proportion, then steering ratio remains same and steering is as responsive as before.

14. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I reset mine to 100%, just to see how it felt. It is better than at 85 or 90. Mine was at 85, out of habit. I increased it to 90 and after a few laps set it to 100. 100% feels good. In the past with F1C and rF1 I always had it around 85% because 100% just felt too twitchy, too sensitive. But rF2 isn't like that. I suppose it is the more advanced physics, but whatever the reason 100% is working very nice for me.
    Thanks for bringing it up :)

15. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Well I jumped the gun I think. I am finding it too sensitive at 100%. I'm back down to 85% and my lap times improved due to the smoother and more precise feel I get from it there.
    Anyway, it was worth a try.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Keep it at 100 and lower steering lock in garage screen. ;)

17. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I'll play around with some more. I just wanted to get in some laps so I lowered the steering and just drove, lol.

18. JETninja

JETninja Registered

Start saving your pennies for at least a G27. The Momo Black uses bushings and tons of plastic, if you drive much it will eventually fail on you. We (my Son's and I) ran the Red Momo Force....HD FFB Motor, Ball Bearings, mostly metal...but after many many years of league use the plastic center shaft eventually shears. So now we run G27s and they are a huge upgrade. Slides that would have me spin out with the Momo are totally controllable with the G27. Its a night and day difference. It will improve your laptimes as well.

19. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Another way of improving my driving skill is by reducing the wheel forces via Logitech/Windows device properties. By reducing the wheel force to 80% make me drive more consistent now. Haven't try value lower than 80% though. I also set the in-game wheel smoothing filter to 4. Just my 2c :)

20. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Started using 50/50/50 on my g25 out of curiosity and to me it feels better than 100/100/100... Could someone explain this? Because it shouldn't be that way. But 50/50/50 feels linear. 100 is a bit like a progressive curve...

Something is not right there and I felt like it from the very first time I tried rf2. (first build...)

BT: I let the software do the work on steering-range and -ratio...

Thoughts?