Change to the slide heat absorbed by tires, or explanation

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Korva7, Jun 3, 2018.

  1. Korva7

    Korva7 Registered

    Joined:
    May 22, 2014
    Messages:
    683
    Likes Received:
    184
    Based on this blog post written by MICHAEL BORDA it seems like 100% of heat energy generated during sliding gets absorbed by tires. Like SPASKIS pointed out in the thread, that doesn't seem right.
    For example here (2nd page) it was estimated that 64% of the heat caused by slip between tyre and asphalt, would get absorbed by the tire. Not the best examble but still something.

    Then quotes from the blog:

    "The third variable, is the most important change, and allows us to specify the fraction of sliding power applied to the tyre as heat energy. On dry asphalt, this should generally be 1.0 or at least within 10% of that."

    "The third variable simply tells us how much of the sliding power should be applied to tire heat. Originally (and now by default), all of the sliding heat energy is applied."

    So my wish is that, if there actually is a mistake in how much of the heat energy from sliding gets absorbed by the tires, the mistake would be fixed.
    Or if there is no mistake, it would be nice to hear what i'm getting wrong.
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Lazza

    Lazza Registered

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    Messages:
    7,574
    Likes Received:
    3,208
    Take 1.0 as your 64%, and accept that the game throws the other 36% away.
     
    TJones likes this.
  3. TJones

    TJones Registered

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    Messages:
    964
    Likes Received:
    136
    Agree, knowing that there was thermal conduction between tyre and track surface before, i don't think that those new variables replaceing the old model, but work on top of that.
     
  4. Korva7

    Korva7 Registered

    Joined:
    May 22, 2014
    Messages:
    683
    Likes Received:
    184
    Yes, that is a possibility that by 100 % sliding power they mean 100% of the energy coming to the direction of the tyre.
    But on the otherhand sliding power seems like a specific term for all energy produced during sliding.
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  5. Lazza

    Lazza Registered

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    Messages:
    7,574
    Likes Received:
    3,208
    I doubt any of us really think that Michael assumes all heat energy goes to the sliding tyre; apart from the negligible amount of heat transferred to the track itself you have the heat removed from the tyre surface with the bits of rubber coming off (which is obviously a big part of wear), I think the point is the game doesn't account for / calculate / monitor those two areas so there seems little point confusing people by having a number like 0.6 in there (immediately people will say well where does the other 0.4 go and why can't I do anything with it, or, if asphalt is only 0.6 then what surface should be 1.0, etc...).

    In practical terms I don't think the heat transferred either to the track or the discarded rubber is of any consequence (not saying it has zero influence, but in comparison to other factors it's a very very small player), so the 'maximum' has been arbitrarily placed at asphalt heat generation and pretty much everything else is lower.

    Maybe one day when the sun is heating the track directly and wind is active and also affecting the track (as well as the car aero, as appropriate with surrounding cars and structures), and rain runs off the track in accordance with gravity and slope and available drainage, and tyre tread depth has a proper effect on aquaplaning and wet grip, and various other more or less obvious omissions are implemented, this might be one of the remaining issues to look at. Until then I think it's a non-issue because of its insignificance.
     
    Emery likes this.

Share This Page