Change mod packaging system

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Timpie Claessens, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I guess I can only wish since I would like rF2 to be quite succesfull.
    After a little bit of a simracing break i wanted to do some online racing, couple of servers available with the Clio on Croft etc which I both have.
    But since everything is dependant on packages nothing is joinable unless I download a mod, which in turn doesnt download properly and gets stuck on "Mod name here"

Please, do something if u guys watn to see the game become popular. This is just a major anti climax because my desire to play rf2 tonight has dropped to below zero, and that was for from the initial plan 10minutes ago.

It's probably been mentioned already, but one can only hope

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah its been discussed a few times allready but there's nothing wrong with expressing our concerns, even if its just a reminder for ISI. for all we know they where going to change it but forgot :)

For me its not so much the mods themselfes but the abbility for creators to add tracks to it. I fully understand their enthausiasm and pov on what they think should be used for tracks but i''m not convinced we would want every mod to be released with a number of tracks attached to it.

Recently installed the Lola mod, it came with 3 default tracks and 3 custom tracks, one of those tracks i allready had but no the correct version so the mod would not work.
    It wasn't that difficult to get it all right but it took a while and i (we) where lucky enough the mod-page had comments where people helped eachother out in getting it right because the mod-page itself only mentioned the tracks but did not link to them.
    Edit: i've just learned they also released a non-track version recently, bless them for that :)

Not every modmaker will get this right in the future and we would all be browsing the web in persuit of a correct version of something that needs to be added to get the mod working. something we might never even use.

If people want to use certain tracks they will have to download and install anyways. whether if its for private use or to join a server.
    So the track-persuit is not going to be different at all. it just makes it a more tedious job when those tracks are a requirement to install mods.

So i say, dont even give them the option to attach tracks to mods. there's many other ways for mod-makers or leagues to point to tracks. heck a simple text file would be sufficient imo. but dont force us to have to go through that every time because it will end up in only the dedicated simmers going through that every time and rest is going to skip that if they have had a few bad experiences with it.
    That was one of the fun things about rf1, all those goodies! i would have a clean rf for league racing and my other rf installing mods to try them out, i had many of them. If it means i would have to go on a quest for additional files to even get the mod started i doubt i would be doing that much.

And now someone is going to reply this will be taken care of but not yet......i'm abit behind on things :)

3. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy,

I think I can shed some light on this.

First, there is the MOD you downloaded, be it a vehicle or track.

Then, there are vMODs which the person hosting the server has running on their server.

A vMOD is made up of any combination of cars and tracks.

So... It's the vMOD you're trying to get from the server, you're joining.

The problem, or one of them, is that the folks hosting servers don't visit the forums. This problem was fixed a long time ago...

My server "F3 Fanatics!" has a usable Get Mod button.

The ones that don't work are loaded up with a vMOD that looks something like this. "My Lousy vMOD"

If they named it "My_Lousy_vMOD" it would have worked for you... or it would have stood a better chance of working.

The "Get MOD" button does NOT work on servers with spaces... or hyphens "-" in their names.

Hope this helps, or at least explains why some servers are not working properly.

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Just to correct some things:
    There are two types of mods: mod and vmod.
    Server can host both (so you can get both with the "Get mod" button).
    The only difference between mod and vmod is that vmod doesn't include any content (it is only a list of things you need to already have to be able to install the vmod). So vmod is very small (around 1Mb).
    A mod on the other hand includes some content but can also reference some not included content - an example of such mod is the mentioned lola mod (the car is a part of the package but the tracks you need to download separately).