Central rF2 File Repo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Ball, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Does such a thing exist yet? I know rFC seems to have an rF2 section, but not everyone uses it.

I could knock something up, so is it something people would use?

-a

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sounds great Alex and it's certainly something i would use. A central point for all mods is much needed, atm everything is so disorganized.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

So what makes you think that having yet another place for mods will make everyone use it? :)

ISI can't run such place, because ISI can't take responsibility for what people put there. Ran by someone else this place would be no different than rFC.

And it's called "rFactor Central" :) So the paradox of your request is that we have a central, and you're asking for another central so that there will be just one central ;)

If someone put a lot of work to get rFC running, our best option is encourage people to use this one option, rather than looking for other options, because the latter would actually be acting against your own goal.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  4. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Isn't rFC owned by SimRaceway? People stopped using rFC when that buyout happened, I suppose that there may still be feelings there?

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

even when RFC was privately run you sometimes found other mods/tracks at other sites that RFC did'nt list, having another portal would be OK as theres no one to stop you doing it, whether you manage to get ALL mods/tracks/utils etc is another question.....it can get very time consuming!

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Much need but sadly I doubt it will ever happen. This is where egos start and people want their site to be the biggest and best rF2 mod site. Plus there is also the language issue.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I built one a few years back. rfactorworld.com then my host said, "hey remember when we said unlimited files and unlimited bandwidth? well forget that..." so down the pipes went all our work. so make sure you find someone that will allow you to host like 5 terabytes. and use like 500 gigs of bandwidth a day.

8. Dahie

Dahie Registered

If it doesn't deliver what the name promises, the name isn't worth anything…

The rF-Community is in need for a proper alternative for a long time, and in my experience, everybody coming forth with an idea either didn't have the time or the technical experience to follow it through. This community doesn't have a lot of programming talent it seems.

See my posts a couple of years ago.
    * Alternative Modding Databases
    * Philosophy of an Alternative Mod Database
    * First steps on an alternative modding database

Maybe I should write another update on those. :/

9. coops

coops Banned

+1aaa for this.... if ran by rfactor as i think every1 would then use it... other than that we will have to continue to find them or use rfactor central as we do now