Center of Gravity calculations

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Gumball, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Gumball

Gumball Registered

Hi all,

I am wondering about COG and how it is calculated in rf2 physics and represented on ptools.

Had a look at some examples. seems like all the cars have wheel and SUBBOD at 0 height. There is parameter to adjust within ptools which raise the SUBBOD and changes the ride height of the car, leading to handling issues. There is also a line in .HDV under CGheight. Im not sure how they interact with each other.

my guess is that the HDV over rules everything, and would take the suspension geometry in ptools as the 'resting on road' state.

Would this be correct?

thanks guys

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think what you've surmised is correct, for the subbodies.

Note the physics calculation spreadsheet lets you enter the CG but outputs the bodies with 0 Y position. Meanwhile the wheel and spindle positions reflect the suspension design (in accordance with the design ride height), so they aren't always 0. Then in devmode if you press Ctrl-U and look at the car from different angles you can see the subbodies have been raised (from 0) in accordance with the HDV CGHeight.

*Correction: DRH isn't used in generating the chassis.ini wheel and spindle positions. Where you put them in the susp page is where they go in the chassis.ini. So the game just raises the bodies and leaves everything else, at least until the actual car setup ride heights are taken into account.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Gumball likes this.