[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Here is a little taster now the Lola graphic update is finished.

Mark

2. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

very good!

DiggerHawk likes this.
  3. vava74

vava74 Registered

Excellent work, but if you don't mind opinions which may go a bit against the flow, I believe that less gloss on the cars would make them look more natural and realistic.
    This issue - for me - happens also on DLC and other official contents. In my view, unless cars have just been ceramic coated, they do not have this depth of gloss, making them look like they are made of glass.
    So, personally, although PBR stuff does look great, it is often overdone for my taste.

DiggerHawk likes this.
  4. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I think I based the paint material settings on one of the Tatuus cars. But I could tweak the clear coat roughness to tone it down a bit.

5. vava74

vava74 Registered

Thanks for considering my suggestion!

6. heisenberg70

heisenberg70 Registered

At first sorry for my emotional comment ;)
    BUT: I can`t wait no longer!!! Please, please!! Keep the work like you do till today!
    This Video.....WOW! :eek::D
    For me the absolute Favourite Mod in rF1. Ok, the conversion to rF2....hmmmmm yeah, ok.
    BUT THIS: i am so hopefull, thats blast me away when its finally done! The sound, that cars (the most beautyfull Formula Cars in that time, till today, for me!), the handling and last but not least: shifting with stick manually!

Wow wow and chapeau!

Just an example for that sounds in real. Absolutely insane for me!

Ok, not a car from 1998, but.....it stands for itself i think :D
    Its music, gentlemen!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    atomed and juanchioooo like this.
  7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  8. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Great video, I like the shot when the cars drives away from view. Smoke and hay trail then you here the popoff valve in the distance.

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. heisenberg70

heisenberg70 Registered

Yes! You got the point :D

Thank you!

btw: i beg you pardon for my bad english...but its just english from school :rolleyes:
    I am from Germany, hrhrhr....

juanchioooo likes this.
  10. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject and your English is better than my German (or any other language to be honest). That video you posted helps to encourage me to continue working my way through this mod.

Elcid43 likes this.
  11. rFactorForLife

rFactorForLife Registered

I have all four chassis converted to Flex
    I have added upgrades that include FFB strength / Semi Auto lift and blip or Auto lift manual blip downshift/
    Split mirrors / onboard ARB / pressure on the fly / body and suspension repairs
    Working on turbo engine and gears
    testing primary and wet tires
    Creating default setups with motec
    Once road package is closer I will shift into some oval action

Have been using the physics blog, ptools and looking at the physics spreadsheet (rather intimidating).
    Unfortunately this will be by feel as there is no real spec data to be found for this era.
    I have probably reached my peak of ability physics wise and will have to find a mentor on this forum.

There has been some encouraging improvement. The turbo testing has been interesting.

Tracks:
    My main focus was to re-mesh and add proper bumps from cockpit footage on these tracks.
    I will eventually pursue permissions to share but want the product to be clean before asking.
    I just keep going back into tracks as skills increase. Still using legacy shaders.
    Anyone want to help PM me. I would appreciate it so I can focus mainly on the mesh, bumps, lines curbs, walls, setup and AIW. Be great to learn from others

Long beach 98 new layout remeshed bumps and lines Doug offered to host but I want to clean it up first
    Belle Isle 98 remeshed bumps lines and billboard trees
    Surfers Paradise 98. remeshed bumps and lines

Midohio: re-meshed added bumps and lines
    Cleveland: resurfaced need bumps and paint
    Toronto: re-lofting track and walls then adding bumps, lines, adds
    Vancouver: re-lofting adding bumps and lines
    Road America; havent tried it enough to feel the bumps

Ovals
    I have a bunch loaded up in MAX and been working with the meshes[/QUOTE]

I'm a newcomer here, but I'm no stranger to rFactor. Been simracing in various forms for more than two decades.
    Microsoft Cart Presicion Racing was my first taste of this wonderfull hobby.
    Once I saw there is some progress on updating this mode, I was extremely excited.

I've tried all the sims and all the best mods, but in my humble opinion, this is the best mode of all time in all of simracing.
    My reasoning - these cars put you in the mindset of a real race car driver.
    Apart from the physical fitness, you gotta have gargantuan mental stamina - 100% focus, high attention span, split second reflexes.
    This mod perfectly captures it all.
    It is the only thing I drive, it is my inspiration and motivation to get a DD wheel and take a DIY route for the sequential shifter.

If you can perfect this even further, it'll be a dream come true. I would be more than willing to make a donation.

I would however strongly suggest not to mess with the physics too much because of the following reasons:
    - The original rFactor1 mod was created in cooperation with Dario Franchitti and Chip Ganassi who proved their insight into the driving feel
    - Richie Hearn, the guy who drove the series, thought very highly of the mod when he was introduced to it. I'm stating a comment from a person close to him:
    "I am roomates with Richie Hearn and I loaded this up the other day just to see what he would say. He was smiling from ear to ear. He said the cars were almost identical in behavior. Such a great mod."
    - Judging from the onboard videos, the cars indeed handle identically.
    I've been driving a lot lately around Portland, and the resemblances really strike my mind. Goosebumps all the time.

If you fast forward to a 20min mark, you will see Zanardi's car oversteering in the exact same manner in the exact same section of the circuit, just like in a sim.
    You have to be James Brown with your right foot to be able to control these ridiculous machines.:)

GPNeville, Rogger, pkelly and 6 others like this.
  12. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks Rfactor4life,
    Looks like your passion for this series prompted you to sign up and post. Awesome!

It was this mod that inspired me to learn the steep learning curve of modding in RF2.
    I loved the driving challenge of Grand Prix Legends and view this late 90s CART era as the best modern Historic.

Your concern is shared no doubt.
    The team has all agreed that these cars should not be easy to drive. Lots of power and very avg down-force.

FYI :
    I have some actual aero data and was measuring and testing. The original mod actually had too much down-force so I suspect your focus and concentration will be required. ROADCAR anyway!

That was an old update and there is a new one coming soon. Just gathering some more permissions and testing.
    We have been given official permission in terms of updating the mod and several tracks too.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Hazi, Corti, jayarrbee36 and 2 others like this.
  13. rFactorForLife

rFactorForLife Registered

Awesome stuff my friend!
    When everything gets polished up, I'm really looking forward to driving these beasts with the folks from the forum.
    Although the AI is decent, racing a Champ car against real people would be a dream!
    Hope we make a league or something!

14. Gleidson

Gleidson Registered

If you have already answered this question, I'm sorry because I haven't read all the posts but will there be any upgrades adding the hard compound? There is only one tire compound for dry and one for rain.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Cart had one basic tire compound and then had the RED sidewall tire. I can't even remember what it was called, similar to the option or softest tire offered in F1, it was a faster tire but with a shorter lifespan. So they didn't have hard/medium/soft tires, they had the standard tire and then the red tire.
    They do need to create this 2nd tire and they probably will also have to build an oval tire with the same two levels of grip...who knows, perhaps multiple tires for big oval like Indy and the shorter flat ovals like Milwaukee or Phoenix.

Emery and atomed like this.
  16. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

The original mod took an interesting approach with the tire wars ( goodyear and firestone)
    They used the identical TBC entries
    The firestone was the dw12 primary tire and the good year was the dw12 alternative tire.

We have the dw12 tires and have added a few new entries from the physics blog.
    Alternate
    Primary
    Wet
    Short & Speedway ovals.

The focus for physics is currently on the road chassis, primary tire plus a few tracks remeshed and optimized for frame rates
    Turbo engine
    2 Transmissions options
    FFB options
    Onboard arb
    Workarounds for push to pass - separate on and off button
    Workaround for weight jacket - using wedge or track bar- whatever is available onboard on the track

The big car highlight is the super pbr work being done on the car and driver models as seen in diggerhawk videos within the thread.

Don't underestimate the impact that the Tracks being re-meshed will have even though they are legacy shaders.
    Creating a new mesh that’s 1 or less m sq and placing bumps rollers and dips where they are supposed to be really makes this mod come alive. The testing group can speak to that as they have conveyed very positive feedback in that regards.

There may be a track and car sample before the end of the year.....

sg333, GPNeville, Hazi and 4 others like this.
  17. boxer

boxer Registered

Are you increasing the poly count for the cockpit view? Would be nice to have a smoother cockpits.
    Looking forward to these beast.

18. vava74

vava74 Registered

Marcel mentioned that push-to-pass and weight jackers are incoming and soon (I think rF2 will be hosting an official Indy500 under MSG's Indy licence) so need to update the available features for a new Indycar in production (or an improved DW12).

PatientRF2fan and davehenrie like this.
  19. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Apologies if this is somewhere stated in this long thread, but is there an estimated (full) release date/period for this interesting mod?

20. djvicious

djvicious Registered

I think Digger can comment on some of the cockpit graphics as he's worked on them, but I can say we're integrating the updated driver model and I've redone all the driver suits to a modern standard (okay I have a couple to do still, but you get the point).

pkelly likes this.