Cars are too small

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by saloei, Jan 17, 2012.

1. saloei

saloei Registered

How can I make the cars appear bigger? They are small little cars compared to rfactor1. I get a sense of immersion when I play rfactor1. The cars give the intimidating appearance with their aggressive defined lines. In rfactor2, they look like small, bubbly, remote controlled plastic cars. I feel no immersion with F1 cars in this game.
    I play both games at 1920x1080 resolution. FOV is also the same in both games. This game looks like f1 2010. I hope this changes with CTDP add-on. But then, CTDP is making a 2004 season for this game. I don't understand why they would go backwards with rfactor2's technology.

2. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Try changing FOV.

3. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

please define what you mean by the term "small cars"? they look ok to me from the cockpit view

4. Dahie

Dahie Registered

This is how rumors are started. We do 1994, not 2004.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  5. saloei

saloei Registered

you're right. my type error. i knew it was 1994. thats why i said i don't understand why create a mod based on old model f1 cars with rfactor2. i was expecting 2010/2011 season.

6. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

what do you mean by too small? They fit the track in perfect scale

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ermm maybe because thats what they want to build...and who are you to say otherwise?

8. saloei

saloei Registered

Resolution is the same on both images: 1920x1080. FOV is the same on both images: 70. Camera position is the same on both images. Notice how wimpy the cars in rfactor2 look compared to the CTDP mod 2006. This scale result could be based on real model cars but, I must say I enjoy the bold models better. I get a better sense of immersion when the scale of the opponent's car is bigger.

image>> http://home.comcast.net/~saloei/images/rfactor2.jpg

9. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

A Formula Renault 3.5 is not as big as a 2006 era Formula 1 car. Problem solved

10. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Exactly, you are trying to compare cars that are completely different in size. For instance the Renault's run a V6, and the F1's a V8. Also the F1's are around 1.5m longer than the Renault.

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Seems to me grid spacing is different , and objects closer does look like some sort of FOV difference rather than a asset size different ( aside from the cars not being the same as well) maybe RF2 calculates FOV different more or less horizontal/vertical evan though the setting numbers r the same might be different in terms of what it is in game.

12. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

What a weird thread :)

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Because 1994 was a classic (if dark) period in F1's history and everyone and their grandmother will make 2010/2011 mods?

14. Just to say hello to Dahie with all the respect I have for CTDP!
    Can't wait for CTDP'94 for rF2!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

1.5m? The figures I found suggest something more along the lines of 20-30cm.

And I really don't see why anyone would rather drive a 2010, 2011 or 2012 F1 mod when an early to mid 90s F1 mod was available. The Formula 1 cars today are utter **** and have been for quite a while. Remove all electronics (well OK, you can have a starter engine and a pit radio) and most of the aerodynamics, then maybe I'll watch.

16. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Yeah you could be right, I mistook the Renault's wheelbase as overall length. I thought 1.5m was extreme haha. Ohwell, fact is F1 is still bigger than Renault 3.5 overall.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Maybe they are leaving that to someone else? :)

18. saloei

saloei Registered

a hint of things to come? cool

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

In Belgium track, I parked car from mod I'm taking part to next to VW beetle and Saab (95, two stroke?), I'm not sure, but somehow it did look like that those cars are bit large, not much but a bit?

Car I was driving should of been clearly larger than Beetle or Saab. VW beetle I know, I have driven one, Saab 96 too and that Saab is predeccor of 96 so size is similar or smaller most likely, also I know car I was driving and it is surely bigger in real world than Beetle, at least by length of hood.

Of course it is not very big issue as those are just surrounding area objects, but happened to notice that.

20. magicfr

magicfr Registered

From this screenshot, the visual final FOV is not the same, the perspective line seems different. Maybe rf1 and rf2 don't use the same fov calculation.
    For instance , Rf use Vertical FOV, but IIRC , in RF1 the ratio may be fixed on 4/3 screen where rf2 use correct 16/9 screen, it's just a supposition, based on the screenshot you made.