Car / track / series database

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by worthy1066, Jan 5, 2012.

1. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

Can an admin answer a question I have regarding mods . Now that every car track and mod package will have a separate ID number to identify it for matching purposes is there anything been suggested whereby You can build a webpage or database where we can search for the relevant component and show the download link .
    I don't know if ISI will offer this option as it will propably be not in their timescales to maintain it but it may be an advantage to at least start a sticky thread to show them . I am quite new to Rfactor so don't be offended if this has already been done but with the short time I have been trying to play online with Rfactor this would be a Godsend to start out .

Thanks in advance

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I'm fairly certain that each mod that is going to be released will have its mod ID published as well.

If I only release my track without announcing the ID as well, there is no benefit from the system at all.
    If I instead release my track and announce the ID as well, someone whose rF2 told them they need to install the mod with the ID "af92h9824b38h" can just google that ID and find my track. If aggregation sites include the ID in their list as well that would be a good addition too obviously.

3. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

If each piece of content has a uniquely IDed then surely an automatic downloader could be implemented (or 3rd party)?

4. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

that was one of the things that really got to me , not being able find the mod and when I did it was different version . Too many weekends wanting to kick the computer lol

5. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

From what I've read(and the way I've read it) the new system will make pickup racing on new user-made tracks harder than the old system. Unless I read it wrong, if you download a new track, you then need to create a mod id package that names the car series you want to use plus the track or tracks your going to race on.
    So the way I read it is, you download new track. You want to race it with your favorite addon car series. Go online find a server running the car series and track. Then the trouble starts. You have the right cars, you have the right track, but hey you cant enter because you dont have the mod id package. Fun stuff.
    I hope I read it wrong but, that is the way I read it. Seems logical to keep car id's and track id's seperate but well...

6. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

I think I see it as as long as you have the right car and track you have the right components to use that series ID I maybe wrong myself but i think thats the way it goes because you can use the same car or track on different RFmod files