Car stuck on track in dev mode

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Sub, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Sub

Sub Registered

I thought i was pretty close after clearing that last hurdle, but no such luck. I can get my track loaded into Dev mode and my temp textures are loading fine on all of the surfaces, but my car is completely frozen in place. If i let it sit there for a minute or so, it'll temporarily lock my machine up. It clears up after a few seconds and i'm able to kill it via task manager, but it's obviously broken.

I found another thread where someone mentioned a similar situation, but the fixes suggested in that thread didn't work for me. I keep going over and over tutorials and forum posts and looking at other tracks - nothing sticks out to me. Whenever i'm this stuck it's usually something simple that i overlooked and i'll probably slap myself if i can ever get it figured out. But for now i'm about as frustrated as i can get.

If anyone can see anything i'm doing wrong, I'd love to know what it is. And thanks for all the help thus far! it's gotten me close to getting this damned thing working right, now it's just this one last problem... i hope.

Here's a link to the venue folder to drop into Locations in Dev Mode:
    http://www.isaacaubrey.com/rF2/MCO.zip

And here's a link to the Max project file. It opens in Max 2011:
    http://www.isaacaubrey.com/rF2/Skoggit_01_FirstTown.zip

I probably would've given up on this thing awhile ago, but i've been taking a class in 3D modeling and i'm dying to give this track a proper work-over with what i've learned. Hopefully this will be an easy fix and i can finally get to work on it. Thanks for any help!

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Having an instant look I think you need an AIW file put in the "SkoggitCounty" folder.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yes, looks like it. Basically any AIW will do, just make sure you have solid ground under your track entering coords.

Cheers!

4. Sub

Sub Registered

That worked! I thought i'd read somewhere that i didn't need one for dev mode; apparently that's not the case. Now i just need to figure out how to get it starting me in a less hostile spot. I grabbed Joes_Speedway - it's close to 0,0,0, but not quite there. More to work on...

Thanks for the help guys!

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

once in mod dev mode you should be able to set and save new AIW so it works for your track. Check and adjust all options before saving and test and see if that helps.

6. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I have the same problem, different issue. My car loads twice, I can move one of them but not far. No AIW file is present and if I try and use another one, it crashes during loading.

7. ethone

ethone Registered

One of the two is probably the safety car. If you can move one that would probably be your proper one. If you can move it a full car's width to either side you could do that and set the aux spot there. Save waypoints and the next time the second car should spawn beside you.

8. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

i dont think safety cars show up in dev mode. I tried doing what you said and the next time i loaded it, rf2 crashed. The non-moving car is slightly below the one i can move a little making me think its material related but i cant find a bug. The material is ROADB and thats in my tdf file. The gmt name is RaceSurface_01.gmt

9. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

maybe its in the scn somewhere, I also get 2 pit guys showing. GRAB_020.JPG

10. ethone

ethone Registered

That's the same thing I got with Nazareth until I added some AIW to it. The safety car does show up for me in dev mode too btw.

I remembered that for the aux spot to save you probably need at least one garage spot as well. So if you can, try to move your car a bit to the fore/aft/side, enough to take it "out of" the other car present, and set the garage spot 1 there. You can do that while paused to avoid collision detection. Save waypoints, exit, try again.

When you use the rF1 AIW dev mode crashes, right?

11. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

yes, the rf1 AIW is useless. I'll try that next week, life is gettin busy..

12. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

hmm, moving it worked, but the aiw I saved crashes when i try and reload.

13. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

no matter what i do, if I reload the track, it crashes. I can go to the session screen and back and it recognizes my aiw spots, but if I unload and reload, it crashes. I'm thinking its a material somewhere so i'll go through them one by one.

14. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

found a few road materials that werent set right but it hasnt helped. I still cant reload the track without rf crashing. Doesnt matter how much of an AIW I make, even a basic one crashes. Something weird i noticed is the AI drives in a weaving motion in the pits, until it gets to the track path then its ok. All my timing objects work.
    If I set the pace car locations, and go to the monitor and back, the pace car doesnt move there. I havent tried changing sessions yet.

15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

changing sessions doesnt help, pace or "extra" car is still there. Im not totally convinced its the pace car thats showing up extra. Its almost as if its loading 2 SCN files so i'm gonna go over that in detail.

16. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Have you tried to remove your current AIW from your track directory completely, copy new one (lets say Lime Rock, for instance) AIW in and renaming it to match your track?

Only editing you need to do with "foreign" AIW to remove all other garage locations, except first one and edit it's coords to 0,0,0.

Just make sure you have drivable surface below coords 0,0,0.

Your problem sounds so much AIW problem rather than material naming or other problem...

With "foreign" AIW you can confirm your troubleshooting.

Cheers!

17. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

well, its not the surface location, i moved the entire track under 0,0,0 and same issue. I also tried an AIW with only 1 garage/pit spot and it still crashed.

18. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Was your AIW borrowed from some ISI's track or did you make it yourself?

Cheers!

19. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

it was my long beach AIW, i'll try malaysias later.. I really dont think its that though. It loads fine without an AIW (other than the 2-car issue), it just doesnt save a valid one for some reason.

This track does have 2 pitout triggers, maybe thats messing with it. Its one GMT file but i have a pitout near the garage and one near the pitout. It worked ok in rf1 but maybe rf2 barfs on that.

20. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I think you cannot have more than one XPITOUT gmt's, which should be single poly instance (it probably do not affect your double-car issue anyway). I suggest you try one ISI's AIW with single garage spot for troubleshooting. If it works (no double-car problem), you can assume problem is in old rF1 based AIW. If it's not working, problem is something else.

Sometimes rF1 AIW's do not work correctly, even after re-saving it in rF2 editor. I have run similar problem with rF1 => rF2 AIW back then...

Cheers!