Car Skin Location

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djvicious, Sep 1, 2012.

1. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Hi all,

I apologize if this is a repeat post but I need some quick help. I've made some skins for the Formula Renault but I cannot find where the skins are hidden. I looked in My Documents/rFactor2/User Data/player/Settings, but alas, there's only folders for tracks, and nothing for cars.
    *My rfactor 2 folder IS in my documents.
    *all mods have been installed as normal
    *there's only one username
    *I haven't played around with any settings

What am I doing wrong?

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Skins for Formula Renault are inside the file FR35_TEAMS.mas. Location is "rFactorDatafolder\Installed\Vehicles\FormulaRenault35s\1.2". You can open the mas-file with the gMotor2 MAS File Utility (rFactorDataFolder\Support\Tools\MAS2.exe).

3. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Thank you. Pour yourself a beer.

4. djvicious

djvicious Registered

I opened the mass and added an 'alt' version of a vehicle. Now my formula renault mod is no longer in the game. GONE. What is wrong now? This is getting a bit silly. I'm certain this wasn't intended to be this difficult.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Alternate skins should go in a different location.

See this link

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

You have to create the folder for the skins yourself, unfortunately. This means you need the correct name for the mod so it will recognize the skins. I'm not sure what it is for the FR cars, but for the 60s cars it is 'HistoricOpenWheel' IIRC.

The Formula Renault mod no longer shows up for you probably because you 'saved' the mas file, instead of 'rebuilding' it, so it is not a proper mas file now (that was an issue I had at first, too). You have to use the yellow mas file icon in the program to build the mas file, not the save command.

You COULD insert your skins into the mas file, but then you will not be able to go online as your mas does not match the server's. It is best to put the ALT skins in the skins folder, you just need to find out what the correct folder name should be. :)

7. djvicious

djvicious Registered

thank you for clarifying, much appreciated

8. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Ok this is getting ****ing ridiculous. I removed the added skins from the .mas file and tried to save/recompile the file. a message came up saying "nothing changed". I went to launch the game, no formula renault cars in the game. I re-downloaded the Formula renault packages and removed the existing ones. Now the packages won't show up in the mod manager in the launcher at all. What the hell is going on and how do I make everything work again without having to reinstall the whole bloody game. ISI you're making me feel stupid and I don't appreciate it :(

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You may need to reinstall the whole game unfortunately, currently the way skins work in game is messy at best but can be done. Hopefully ISI get around to fixing the issue to make it much easier...ala rf1.

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Tell me what file you messed with and I will post it here for you if not too big. Save you from reinstalling.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

That's funny you saying like rF1. There was a lot of people that couldn't get their head around putting skins into that game. The biggest difference now is your limited sooo much. You could create a complete new team car or cars in minutes. It would work in all aspects. rF2 is only a alt skin. As such in replays they all revert back to the default. Your unable to create your own teams without going through all the mod ID update mod system if it works at all. There's been so many people having issues with that side of things just to add to the confusion already there trying to add skins.

I build teams, Add new cars all the time to rF1. Not 1 for this game. It's just not worth the time to do it when it can't be added and just used without making the hole mod unusable online. With rF1 if you have a new team in the mods teams file it will still work online provided you don't use that team until it's been distributed and it's on the server.

rF2 just want work! Making skinning for mods other then your own pointless.

12. djvicious

djvicious Registered

I messed up the FR35 TEAMS.mas I think. It's a big file. I'm probably best off reinstalling.

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Try to uninstall the Formula Renault 3.5 mod in modmanager, then reinstall, update and you should be fine.

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

This new mod packaging system will be a disaster, time will tell...

15. djvicious

djvicious Registered

The problem is the mod disappeared from the mod manager, so I couldn't uninstall. I tried to curtail that by deleting the rfmod files and replacing them with new ones (re-downloaded) but the non-installed files don't even show up. They just completely disappeared. Is this a known issue?

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

I see the skins that are getting downloaded and placed in my packages folder. What are they, and can I use them... what happens if I just delete them as excess baggage?

I painted and added many car skins in rF1. Not hard at all. What is the thinking of downloading someone else's skin... I really don't give a hoot what their car looks like :confused:

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I believe there is an option somewhere that allows you to turn off auto-downloading of other people's skins. It might be a plr option. The problem is that I believe the cars with custom skins then become basic car colors with no skin applied at all. I could be wrong on this last part though.

I do have to say though that there are a lot of people that enjoy seeing races with other people's custom liveries, and I think that is why it was put into the sim.

19. RJames

RJames Registered

I see no one has mentioned the easy way of making folders for each car.

If you launch rf2, go to your car list and select the car your going to skin. Click Tuning, then on the right hand side there is a button that says create dir. Click that and that will now create the folder within your player/settings/ folder. Simply put your new skin .dds into that folder with alt in the name for example skin2_alt.dds

Also for cars such as Clio where you can skin multiple parts (files) you simply name them like:
    skin2_alt.dds
    skin2_altEXTRA0.dds (wheel color on clio)
    skin2_altWINDOW.dds (window graphics)
    skin2_altICON.dds & skin2_altSMICON.dds (images that display in the car menus).

Regards