Car setups v track conditions (green, rubbered-in)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FoXXb8, Jan 10, 2012.

1. FoXXb8

FoXXb8 Registered

After some reading in the FAQ section on green tracks and rubbered in tracks, i was interested to know how a car setup would react to certain track conditions and are we going to need lots more variations per car, per track setups?

My thinking goes something like this.

Race weekend starts with a green track and by the end of prac 1 you have a setup saved for a green to a some what level of rubbered in track. Now this continues through qual but close to the end of qual it rains and the track has gone back to green. Now the start of the race is on a green track.

So how would the setup that has been progressively made for a rubbered in track work on a green track? Or is it more likely that the setup made by the end of prac 1 would be a better option to start the race on if it were a green track to start with and just make the limited addjustments through the race to help get the car more to the rubbered in setup?

Sorry for the noob question but i only know the sim racing world and the one setup rule i pretty much use, where once i have a setup i like for that car and that track its all i would use for the weekend. I also have no knowledge of how the real race teams do it in this area.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  2. dragon

dragon Registered

Do You will create guide on how to create settings for the car depending on track conditions? :D

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Good questions and I highly doubt anybody will be able to tell you a definitive answer. We'll all have to wait and see, get some laps and experience with it to know. I'm hoping even after alot of experience there will still be some guessing which makes for some fun strategy.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You see, that's the main issue with real racing - you never know, what to exactly expect :)
    And it's also not like you have some rain for a few minutes, track dries out within another few and bang - you have fresh, clear track. Some layer might be taken off but those hard pressed rubber pieces will still be there.
    My guess is, even ISI guys won't tell you exactly how all that will look like in rF 2 (I mean, they know how each piece works but probably didn't test all available situations), because it's not so simple as 2+2 (and that's the whole beauty of it!). It's working on its own. We can only hope, it works in a proper way :)

5. dragon

dragon Registered

I hope that the compounds ISI with F1 teams to help set up such a guide. :D:D:D

6. FoXXb8

FoXXb8 Registered

Yep i agree with ya CdnRacer, and i get what your saying LesiU.

Cheers guys.

7. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

I think its gonna b all about having a good neutral set up that suits u and adjusting ur driving style to the amount of grip present at a given time.

8. punkstjimmy

punkstjimmy Registered

I'm guessing all that happens is as the track rubbers in you'll just feel more grip, being able to brake later etc. It shouldn't have too much of an impact on the balance of the car.

I should think a bigger issue would be something like setting 7th gear then finding in the race the wind has changed and suddenly it's too short. Like in real life, you can't have a setup that works in all conditions. If they change mid-race you just have to deal with it!

Can't wait :p

9. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Brake balance is another setup item that can make a big difference as the rubber builds up and you can brake later and harder. There's more thinking involved now, and anticipating the grip you'll find (or hope to find!) in the next corner based on the data you have accumulated on the previous laps :) .