Car Modding Noobie conversion

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Daniel Surace, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hi All,

Ive been pulling my hair out trying to understand how modding and rfactor work. i have a basic understanding oh tools required.

Im using 3dSimedit and photoshop.

My problem is, i am converting a car from Rfactor to Rfactor 2. i set my materials and set fresnel values and textures. i then export it to Rfactor 2 GMT, open the original mas file, add my new texture and GMT file. i save the MAS file.

i load up rfactor and the materials i have editor appear to have not changed and all. same texture, same fresnel values.

When i exit the game i export from the mas file and my GMT has the correct textures.

Can anyone kindly explain to me how it is not updated the textures and materials?? MY gen file only points to 1 mas file.

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

swapping mas files wont work as you see. You will need to remake a new rfcmp file and install that.

3. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

thanks for your reply, but im using DEV mod. does that make a difference.

also do certain material names need changing from rfactor one or can i use any name?

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

What I've found is that DevMode has some weird results, especially where graphics are concerned. I may be alone in this, and more than likely I'm doing something wrong, but once you've packaged the mod a few times and got the hang of it, you can do it in seconds. I now find it easier to bypass DevMode altogether. Make the changes you want, pack them into the new MAS file, and then package the new rfcmp file. It probably only takes an extra minute to do this, but you get to see what the changes actually look like in game.

6. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Thanks guys,

It's weird I got my window textures to change buy renaming the material to something new. I know have an exhaust.got that simply won't change either. It appears completely chrome. And any texture change I do seems to do nothing. Maybe there is a conflict in naming somewhere?

Or as u stated above is this all dev mod issues

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Same materials(names) can be used in different .gmt's. All materials with the same name must have the same property in all get's using the material.
    If you change settings like fresnel in material "WCBODY". You'll need to apply(copy/past) the settings in all WCBODY materials. example: In body_high.gmt, body_med.gmt etc. Or change the material name, but that will have other consequences.
    Check all .gmt's! Maybe material "WCBODY" is also used in the dashboard.gmt etc...

- Extract your gmt.mas and put all files (gmt's and textures) in a folder. Usually carname/assets/gmt.
    - Refer to this folder in the .gen file.
    - Quote out the .mas file with "//" infront if the line. So dev mod will read your .gmt's and textures directly.

Some other tips: rFactor2 doesn't make use of a shadow box. The car produces its own shadow. You can remove it from the .gen and delete the shadowbox.gmt
    rF2 makes use of a undershadow texture under the car and tires. This is a static "ambient" shadow. So the car doesn't look like it's floating on track when it's blocked from the sun and doesn't produce a shadow. Look at the skipbarber.

You can also use GJED to edit materials. It doesn't support .gen car files yet. But you can make a .scn track file from your car.
    - Copy/past the multiplayervehicle.scn file into your car folder next to the .gen file.
    - Give it the same name as your .gen
    - copy/past the complete text from the .gen into the .scn (replace everything)
    - Remove all <MAX> , <HIGH>, <MED> and <LOW>. Just find/replace <MAX> with nothing.
    - Now you can open your car with GJED like a track (see WIKI GJED)
    - you might need to increase LOD settings, so everything is visible.

Only use GJED to export selected gmt's.

Work flow:
    Edit your material.
    Go to "intances"
    Select by MAT = is material
    All .gmt's using that material will be selected.
    Export .gmt's "only selected".

Another tip: always keep a copy/backup of a working car! So you can revert back if you screw up.

I'm not an expert i started like you 4 weeks ago... :) with the same problem. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  8. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, i shall try some time today when i get time. :)

My gen files only refer to one GMT for the main body currently. so WCCARBODY only has one texture, or you think maybe there is another instance in another GMT using that same material name is that possible?? if there is i would have to change them both i assume.

I shall try GJED, althought im experiencing many CTP with it and Dosent Scale to my 4k monitor correct :(

One more question, as stated previously, some car parts seem to have a complete chrome look. but i tried my car on a modded track, and it didnt have the chrome look? is this something to do with HDR?? and the mod track not using it, or again is this just a material issue.

Cheers,
    Daniel

9. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

thank you very much for your reply.

I posted a reply but it didnt post maybe it needs to be approved.

i will test what you have said above its very helpful. one question i have is, why some of my materials show up as full chrome. i i fired up a mod track and its looks fine, then on default tracks its chrome is this a HDR thing??

cheers
    Daniel

10. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hey Man,

Ive followed the above process my car looks normal in the scene, everything working, even in the spinner its there.

soon as i load the track my car has the effect on certain objects. like the interior, even though it works in the spinner. so is this still a material thing?

thanks.

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Nice chrome cockpit. :D
    Looks like the material settings for fresnel reflect are a bit over the top. For the cockpit you want a barely noticeable reflection.
    Fresnel Min is the amount of reflection when you look at the object in direction of the normal (perpendicular). It should be very low. Try 0.01. I use 0.3 for chrome and 0.04 for carbody.
    Fresnel Intensity is the amount of reflection when you look at the object at a narrow angle. For a cockpit something around 1.0 is ok. For carbody I use 20.
    Fresnel Power describes the way from min to max. Most materials become only reflective at very narrow angles (higher value for Fresnel Power). Try 7.0. I use 1.0 for chrome and 8.5 for carbody.

Dashboard_Z06a.JPG

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  12. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

hahaha omg it worked! :D Thanks So much.

so if im understanding correctly. fresnels don't affect the showroom at all??