Can't package HDV file in MAS using DevMode

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dosequis56, Jan 13, 2022.

1. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

I am working on an F1 car set to make a few changes to make mixed online/offline racing more realistic. I have unpackaged an existing F1 car set to make some changes to teams, talent etc. I run in DevMode and I can see my changes having affect in the game (such as the expected drivers and teams now qualifying and running up front). I am able to re-package everything into MAS files (I have tried a bunch of different organizations of the files within a variety of MAS files, including ALL files into a single MAS). However, once I delete the HDV files from the vehicle/mod folder the ModDev program starts just exiting when I go to drive and has the following trace log output:
    92.73s tire_manager 1414: Non-existent tire brand ""
    93.17s ELSLog.cpp 182: Err: Failed
    93.17s main.cpp 322: onFatalError 11
    When I just copy back the HDV files into the base vehicle/mod folder, it all starts working again.
    As a test, I also tried copying in the original vehicle MAS files that I started with and they appear to have the same behavior in ModDev, even though the vehicles work in the main game.
    Any recommendations? I would like to be able to test my packaged changes in ModDev if possible.
    Thanks.

2. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

FYI: I have gone through HDV, TBC and TGM references and I do not see any gaps. There are two tire compounds defined that I do not see used,

3. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Ok thanks. I will change my process to package it all and install in real environment to verify. I appreciate the confirmation.

4. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I think what you experience is a major pain spot with Mod Dev, that took me way too long to figure out. You can't have files loose in the main vehicle folder and the same files in the .mas that is also in the main vehicle folder at the same time. You can only have one.

Having both with CTD with no error message in the logs. I've lost many hours figuring that one out

PatientRF2fan and DJCruicky like this.
  5. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Been there
    -made a backup folder for originals while tweaking
    -driving around for hours testing new settings that are simply not working until realizing the conflict

Similar experience with backup SCN files for tracks

I also recall, lost time not backing up files ........ LOL

6. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

I didn't actually have that. No loose files caused the failure. When I put the HDV files into the folder OUTSIDE of the MAS files it starts working. But I get the idea. In general, avoid MAS files in ModDev completely and test those in main game.

7. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

I have decided to use GIT for source control to avoid losing files and not allowing rollback if something breaks. A periodic commit and push and you have a checkpoint. Using Visual Studio project to manage each MOD.

PatientRF2fan likes this.