Can't join my own server??.... (video included)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Spinelli, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Perfect so enter them in both the WAP and LAN boxes, thanks.

Sorry for all the questions but

1. how does the regular internet (browsing, videos, etc.), programs like UTorrent, etc. etc. work if I never manually opened up ports for them? Is there a way programs can request to open ports on their own? Or are there certain ports that are always defaulted open for doing "regular" things like browsing the web, playing online games (not your own server), downloading/uploading torrents, etc?... I know UTorrent uses a certain port as there is a box where you can manually enter a port # (or select the random-port-on-each-start option) and those programs all work perfect, I haven't had to go into my router options to open ports, and neither have any of my friends who have PCs and programs like games, UTorrent, etc....

2. I do have UPnP and it's enabled, is there any difference/risk associated with opening the ports this way rather than just manually directly from my router settings?

3. When I open specific ports for a particular game, does that mean that the ports are opened PERIOD, rather than just opened for that particular game/program to access??... If so, is there a way to specify to keep those ports closed, as usual, EXCEPT for the particular game/program (rFactor in this case)?

Sorry for all the questions...Thanks!

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

1: Apps like web browsers initiate the connection so no ports need to be opened. The web browser opens a connection to port 80 on someones webserver and then requests a file. A web browser is what would be considered a client. Apps like uTorrent, Skype and many others function as a client and a server and make use of UPnP to open ports dynamically. Before UPnP was so common you had to manually open ports for uTorrent and Skype.

2: The disadvantage of opening the ports with the utility I linked to is the maps aren't permanent. If your router reboots then the maps are lost. Some routers also expire UPnP maps if they go idle for too long. Apps like uTorrent add the maps everytime it starts up so the maps are always there. In a perfect world ISI would add UPnP support to the dedi server. There are lots of libraries out there for implementing UPnP. I haven't read the licences though and I'm sure ISI would rather not use a library with additional cost if they could help it and writing their own code for UPnP from scratch probably isn't worth it right now.

3: When you open a port in your router it is not app specific. When you close the app the port will still be open and another app could open up on that same port and receive data. The Windows Firewall on the other hand can be app specific. If ISI made use of UPnP then at startup they could map the ports and at shutdown they could unmap the ports so essentially it would be app specific.

You say UPnP is enabled on your router. If you want to see something interesting, use that utility I linked to with this option:
    Code:
    upnpc-static.exe -l
    That will list all the ports that are open via UPnP. You may be a little surprised when you see this list. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Great thanks! So I'm guessing that the best thing to do would be to use the Windows Firewall to block any and all access to the specific rFactor Ports except for rFactor itself? Is there a way I can set Windows Firewall rules/allowed programs for specific individual ports?

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Can people please try joining my RFactor 1 room? It's rTrainer at Toban, "Spinelli" is in the server title I think.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When windows give you that popup asking if it has permission to allow network traffic to come in I believe it makes an app specific rule but you may want to double check the rules to be sure. The quickest way to look at the rules is by hitting Win+R and then typing wf.msc and then clicking okay. When it comes up click on "Inbound Rules". You will probably see some rules in there titled "rFactor2 Dedicated".

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes but I want to tell my PC to keep blocking everything for the 3 specific ports that I opened, except for rFactor 2. The inbound rules just seems like a general rule for playing rFactor in general (going online, playing on other peoples servers, etc.) it doesn't mention that the rule is specifically for those 3 open ports, but just for the entire exe application in general...If I right-click --> Properties --> Protocols and Ports, then there's options there for ports and such, but I'm not sure....

P.S. So if games supported UPnP then none of this crap would be necessary? Everything would just work "out of the box"? If so, why the heck don't games use this? All these complex deep router and windows settings are ridiculous just to play a video game, jesus.

Online websites are still reporting my ports as closed and I opened them. This sh*t is ridiculous. This stuff should literally be automatically done by the software (it's not 1996) or at the click of a button, open port # "xxxx", done! I'm loosing my patience here.

[HR][/HR]
    Apparently this tool does everything for you automatically (router, windows, everything) -->
    Quote source --> http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/port-forwarding-why-and-how.44943/page-16#post-3305901

Tool --> https://github.com/WhiteXZ/UPnP-Forwarder-Standalone

What do you think, Noel?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The rule be default should let all ports and all protocols from any IP access "rFactor Dedicated.exe". As soon as you close the server, the ports are shut down. So it should function as you wish unless I am misunderstanding.

Yes, if games all supported UPnP then hosting would be a lot easier. The windows firewall rules can also very easily be automated in the rF2 setup program by simply calling the netsh command line tool.

You're right, It's not 1996 anymore, security is a much higher priority than ever. You have to think about the security risks involved with automatically opening ports. A lot of more technical users will actually disable UPnP on their routers to prevent say a virus from opening ports without your knowledge.

BTW, this tool may come in handy for testing your ports if you haven't already found it:
    http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

Keep in mind that you will have to set a rule in the windows firewall for this tool to really work.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Can you check the 2nd part of my post above (added after you replied)? Thanks.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I just tested this tool and it uses UPnP similar to the tool I linked to a few posts back but the difference is the ports are only open while this utility is open.

Personally I would just pull a little hair out learning how all this stuff fits together. In the long run (although not that long of a run) you will be happy to know something new.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks again. In fact thanks for evertything, I'm going to look into it all further when I get home tonight.

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I heard upnp can be a bit of a security risk?
    I've never had this option 'allowed/ticked/open' in my router ever and never had problems.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yes it is a risk because any app is capable of opening up ports on your router without your permission. Just because you haven't had a problem with UPnP doesn't mean it isn't a risk. I could use 123 as a password and never get hacked but that doesn't mean 123 is a good password.

I very seriously doubt your router doesn't have an option to disable UPnP. They probably just invented a new name for UPnP in the webui.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What's the difference between using UPnP w/ one of the programs previously mentioned in this thread, and just manually opening up the port? Why is UPnP different than simply opening/forwarding the port in your router's settings?

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

UPnP is normally a temporary opening where as mapping manually is permanent. I only introduced those command line tools into this thread because it allows people to open ports without having to learn how to navigate their router interface. Apps that support UPnP typically open the ports every time they launch and close then every time they shut down. If you wanted to use that UPnP command line tool to open the ports it would be best to run it every time you plan to host your server to be sure your router still has them open. It's best to just learn how to configure your router and make permanent maps.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why would you want to permanently open ports when you can have them always securely closed except the times you want them open (while running the server). Isn't UPnP even safer since it keeps the port closed as usual except during the times you want it open?

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If the game supports UPnP then yes it would be more secure. The problem is there is no authentication or user interaction with UPnP. So any virus or spyware is capable of opening ports without your knowledge. That is where it becomes a security problem.

17. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Guys, little help here.

Until last year I had a modem given by my internet provider, and a D-Link wi-fi router I bought. Anytime I wanted to set up a server to race with a friend, I just connected my PC directly to the modem and everything was fine.

But since then I moved and the internet provider had to install everything again, now not using their modem anymore (nor my router) but a all-in-one modem+router from Humax. Well, now I keep trying to set up a local server but without any luck. I read all possible posts here on the matter and realised that I'm must be missing something.

I didn't find any specific guide to Port Forwarding on this router of mine, so here's the result of what I did:

[​IMG]

*With the External IP Address being the one www.whatismyip.com provided me.

And my Windows 7 Firewall Settings look like this:

[​IMG]

**I accidentally deleted the automaticly created rF2 entries, so I created these ones with the info I got reading this forum.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Are you having trouble joining from outside or locally. Joining locally is tricky sometimes. The game tries your public IP first and then it times out after about 20 secs and then tries your private IP. If you are talking about problems joining locally then try clicking on your server and waiting about 20secs to see if it lights up.

My only other thought is maybe you have an orphaned dedi server running. Close your server and then check the taskman to see if it definetly closed.

Otherwise, everything you show above looks perfect.

19. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Locally is just fine. I can join it.

My friend who's not able to connect. He says he waits several seconds and yet still can't connect.

Would you mind trying it? I let it running now, it's called Eyemove, no password and a vMod of ISI's FR3.5 + Silverstone.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nope.. the web port isn't responding. If you have access to a smartphone try browsing to this address from your phone while not connected to your local network (wifi):
    http://191.xxx.x.xxx:64297/SessionInfo/

You sensored your IP above so I did the same in this link.. so be sure to fill in the blanks.

Once that link works from your phone then you most likely solved your problem.