Cannot get Simucube 2 Ultimate and SRM Fanatec conversion kit working

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Bernhard Gehberger, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Bernhard Gehberger

Bernhard Gehberger Registered

Hi guys,

is anyone using this combination of controlers?

If I load Simucube 2 Ultimate .JSON file I can configure the wheel axis, but the wheel buttons are not working any more.

If I load the Fanatec .JSON setting the wheel buttons work, but the Simucube 2 Ultimate axis are not recognized.

I do not manage to get both working at the same time. All the other controlers work perfectly fine no matter what.

2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Since the issue seems to involve a Fanatec product, I will point to my experience where my Fanatec firmware was causing a conflict with rF2. After removing all Fanatec firmware and drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling / updating the Fanatec firmware and drivers, problem solved. I suspect it one of the Fanatec USB-adapter's firmware that was the culprit.

3. Bernhard Gehberger

Actually we found out what is the issue and it's not Fanatec, but rFactor2 itself. It's due to the limitation of controllers - I opened another post regarding this issue aksing for the maximum number of supported controlers as well as how to understand which are actually be seen by rFactor2 (as other titles are listing the available controllers and it's very helpfull to understand if something is not working) and how to overcome this limitation with having more than the supported number of controllers.

When I disconnect a bunch of my controlers both, the Simucube 2 Ultmiate base (and it's axies) as well as the Fanatec conversion kit (with Fanatec drivers being installed) are working fine. But half of my controlers are missing by then. When I re-plug-in all of them it stopps working again. It got pointed out to me by some that there is a limit of supported controlers in place - we are not sure about the number, but there seems to be a maximum number. I was shocked to learn about that as I have some very simple driving games listing and supporting all of my controlers perfectly fine. And one of the best simulations out there does seem to have an issue with that..

4. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I have 6 controllers working with rF2 so, maybe just within such limitations but, surely an issue that should be addressed. I agree that all controllers should be identified / listed within the game UI. Even WRC8 finally offers improved and flexible support for various controllers.

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

It's definitely 8 max.
    In the controller and preset profile JSON's you'll find this :

],
    "Device Name 1":"",
    "Device Name 2":"",
    "Device Name 3":"",
    "Device Name 4":"",
    "Device Name 5":"",
    "Device Name 6":"",
    "Device Name 7":"",
    "Device Name 8":""
    },
    "Force Feedback":{

That is where all your controllers are listed.
    Out of curiosity I added a 9th device entry to that list plus a 9th entry in the axis listings above the Device Name list

The game loaded fine, I exited the game at the main menu, I didn't bother loading a track.
    The controller and profile jsons I added the 9th controller to had been overwritten by the game, back to 8.
    I wasn't surprised

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  6. Bernhard Gehberger

I see, well that makes sense.

But does rFactor 2 basically sees all and then just use the first 8? If so, is there a way to choose which 8 controlers it should use - which might solve my issue to some point. Or does it simply do not recognize or know of any devices beyond 8, so it also cannot be manually set?

If I could choose which 8 out of my controllers to be used, I could live with that. But sadly, when everything is connected the important ones won't show up. I tried various combinations and sequencies, but could not manage the most important controlers to be recognized within those 8 slots. When I disconnect one hub (with handbrake and shifters) devices seem to be less then 8 and everything startes to work. When I reconnect - everything is messed up and nothing is working.

So unless there is a maybe a manual way to let it know which devices to use rFactor2 is kind of useless for simulators/rigs featuring more than 8 controlers?!.. : (

7. Bernhard

Bernhard Registered

Kind of solved this issue using a tool someon pointed out to me. I am re-ordering the connected USB-devices using a programm called Devreorder which lets me choose in which order games see the connected controllers. So I can make sure that the most important ones are within the first 8 controllers rFactor2 sees. Well, I'd still prefer rFactor2 to see and support all connected devices, but at least I can get a good part of my sim rig up and running with it..

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Automobilista 1 sees only 4 controllers and choses first one as a wheel. When I added new controller it became first and treated it as a wheel:D
    Took me few hours to find there's a simple reordering app(possibly Devreorder , but not sure)

9. Bernhard Gehberger

Sadly it stopped working for me again. I added a few input devices for a flight sim and now rfactor 2 won't recognize any suitable driving input devices anymore... : (

I am really sad, I consider rFactor 2 to be one of the best sims out there, but this outdated device management - in my case not working at all device management - became a absolute no go.. I spent hours trying to get it running, but I think I have to give up on rFactor2 all together because of that.

A shame because I got all the paid content and I'd love to keep on using it... But with a more sophisticated rig (there are 12 input devices connected here) it's simply not useable any more.. : (

10. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can you send me your controller.JSON?

11. Bernhard Gehberger

Hi Christopher,

thx for your reply and offer to help.

I just got it fixed again. It was a combination of weired issues which messed things up. I had to re-copy and configure devreorder first to get the proper input devices being listed and seen by rFactor 2 - since I have more than 8 that's always the first issue for me..

Then I had to re-new the profile for the Simucube 2 Ultimate and have it loaded first. Then check the rest of the device lists.

And the last which I was struggling with - I did not see any input by the pedals. When I tried to configure them first to throttle /brake and clutch it did not work - I think because rFactor did not see the pedals within the first 8 devices. Now they were there, but still no input shown. Be chance I still tried to configure throttle/brake/clutch inputs and now it recognized the devices and now I also see their input again..

Well, quite a bit of struggle, but anyhow first 8 devices work again..

PS I personally still consider the input device management to be an important candidate for serious workover.. Like 200x more important than another problematic GUI... : ( But that's another story I guess.. : )

12. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

This is a warning for anyone calling others out, you will be banned. Please stay on topic, if this topic doesn't concern you, move on. Thank you