Can we set the starting battery charge < 100%?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MileSeven, May 6, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Now that I’m starting to get a hybrid engine working in place of my previous map-based P2P…

…is there any way to force the battery to start with less than full charge in a session? I’d quite like our drivers to earn (some of) their battery charge before deploying it…

2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I'd say, because battery charge is in principle the same as fuel load (example in here), you could just set "FuelSetting" to a value you like. Or you could use the trackconfigbase or forced setups to achieve the same. But of course I could be wrong or have misunderstood your question :D

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hopefully I'm missing something, but I can't see anything to do that either.

@FuNK! recently actual battery stuff was added, unfortunately (well, sort of, because yay for proper battery code) the fuel isn't relevant in that case.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks. That’s a shame (but I guess it’s a reasonable ‘oversight’ as I doubt there are any IRL formula that don’t either start full or delay deployment for a few laps).

I noticed some entries in the FSR2023 HDV that suggested someone had thought of delaying deployment for the first X laps - might have to compromise on that if there’s no other route - and it has actually been implemented….)

5. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Oh! Seems I need to get an update :eek::D

@MileSeven In case you are just about to increase the challenge for the drivers, you could consider increasing the power demand so that drivers must earn more charge to be competitive. Of course that's not the same, but maybe still a compromise ;)

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - that was already the plan (I.e. make the regen rate / efficiency significantly lower than the power demand so that 1 sec of deployment takes X secs of regen to replace under the same conditions.)

FuNK! likes this.
  7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

So, had a play today. The direction appears to be to specify just a small battery and significantly reduce the Efficiency entries in Motor.ini.

I’m a bit confused by the regen map at the moment though - probably need to get logging with @Lazza’s new toys;).

Subjectively, it appears that the regen map just scales the regen torque but doesn’t actually impact the recharge rate?

8. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Regen map is indeed just a fraction of the total torque, and it will affect the recharge potential because you will have less brake torque from the electric motor.

MileSeven likes this.