Can these machines run rFactor 1 & 2? Is a GeForce GT 760 upgrade good enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by jbuttonfan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jbuttonfan

jbuttonfan Registered

Good afternoon, this is my first post here. I am looking for advice before buying parts, computers, the game, everything.

My current computer is:
    Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H,
    CPU is the Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core processor with 3.2GHz,
    Kingston DDR3 8GB RAM,
    GPU is the Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5,
    along with a 40" Samsung Led TV Series 5 5500 through HDMI,
    and a Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD.

OFC it can run rFactor 1 because I have been doing it since 2012 with satisfaction. My question is will it be good enough for rFactor 2? Do I need a GPU upgrade to GeForce GT 760? I liked this card because of dual boot reasons, I have a OS X 10.10 Hackintosh running there as well, so I need a GPU that can be used in both OS without big troubles. Also, this card is within my budget.

Actually I have a small dilemma, I am going to be out for a month in Europe, and from there I could buy a new macbook to replace my outdated 2010 13" MacBook Pro, or a new Mac Mini to replace my current simracing (heavy) PC. I need to make some space in my bedroom and the "big ugly PC tower" needs to go, hence why I thought of the Mac Mini. I also thought of the Gigabyte Brix Gaming mini PC, but I can't find it anywhere and it is quite expensive. My dad wanted my computer to make his own discrete home cinema pc (getting the parts to put in a case he designed for it) and offered me to trade it for his mid-2011 Mac Mini. The CPU of my current PC of course is very powerful and would trash his Mac Mini in a performance comparison, so the proposed trade would be a no-no, but I need a smaller PC/Mac.

The specs of my options as follows, in order of personal preference:

MacBook Air, 11-inch 256GB
    1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
    4GB memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage

MacBook Pro, 13-inch
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

2014 Mac mini
    2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB memory or 4GB memory
    1TB hard drive or 500GB hard drive
    Intel Iris Graphics or Intel HD Graphics 5000

And finally, my dad's Mid-2011 Mac Mini
    2.3GHz dual core Intel Core i5
    8GB memory
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Can any of these Apple beauties run rFactor 2 in BootCamp with Windows installed? Or is my current rig good enough with a GPU upgrade? I am a webdesigner, and I am used to work with Macs, my 2010 Macbook is quite outdated and I needed to upgrade, but I cant put efforts and money in two machines, since I have a "quite limited to one shot" budget. I need something where I can work and play my games. With the Macs, I could get a thunderbolt/mini dp to hdmi adapter/cable to connect with my 40" TV for gaming.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Happy racing!!

2. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Try the demo?

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Depends on your definition of "with satisfaction" ......... run the demo as suggested.

4. jbuttonfan

jbuttonfan Registered

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yeah I have tried the demo on my current PC. Its quite playable like John said.

I can't try the game on any of the other mac machines (needs windows and bootcamp) listed above, simply because I don't have them. I was hoping someone had this experience here to share.

I might just buy the Gigabyte BRIX Gaming Mini-PC (the green one) when I am in Europe and do a dual boot hackintosh on it. It is much more powerful than the Mac Mini, and is a little bit cheaper. I am not a hardcore simracer, I used to be before I got into karting, but now I just play the games when I am bored at home and sometimes it would be good to follow the trend and play the game with my friends online :p

But... if someone has tried it before in any of these apple machines, please share the experience! Thanks.

5. jbuttonfan

jbuttonfan Registered

Hahahaha, nice one! I'd definately do it if I had more room. But the idea is to get a smaller desk, space is quite limited actually ;)

I'll try to find a smaller case and just put everything on it. Actually before considering all the options above, my first idea was just upgrade the current rig in a smaller case, just need a mini-ITX mobo, and a new GPU upgrade. It'd be way more cheaper than the current options. I think...

But I'm curious to hear from someone if any of the integrated intel graphics above can handle the game at a reasonable level. I heard that Intel Iris Graphics/Intel HD Graphics 5000 have elevated the level of the integrated graphics actually.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The HD6770 will run rF2 (I used to run on an HD5770) but a GTX760 would be much better. You should be able to max just about everything out with the GTX760 on a single monitor and stay above 60fps.

7. jbuttonfan

jbuttonfan Registered

Thanks! Indeed the GTX760 would be much better but if my HD6770 does the job it is good enough for me, actually.

How about the current mac's integrated graphics? Iris Graphics and HD 5000? I know we wouldn't be able to run it maxed out on them but I was hoping they could "give my HD6770 a fight". Like I said, I don't want to build the "ultimate gaming rig" - just something that can let me play the game and enjoy some decent graphics in online races, and under my current budget/needs.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Not sure about Iris HD 5000. I've tried HD 4500 and it ran like crap. I'm not sure how big of an improvement the 5000 is over 4500. I guess just give it a shot. Although loading Bootcamp and all that just to try the demo is a bunch of work. :(

9. jbuttonfan

jbuttonfan Registered

Hi, I am back, and this time I wanted some opinions about a particular notebook. These are the specs, and below the reason why I need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Xiaomi-Notebook-Pro-Fingerprint/dp/B079XX2FLF

Actually I run a hackintosh desktop computer (dual boot macOS and Windows 10), and a MacBook Air for web work. Recently I got fed up of giving maintenance for both machines, and I need to move for a 2-in-1 one portable computer capable of handling the rF2 only, I really don’t care about high quality graphics as long as I get a good FPS with decent graphics. I used to play GrandPrix 1 and 2 in my childhood days, so I really don’t care about eye candy graphics (more about performance). But doesn’t mean I can live with ugly graphics, I need “decent”. I’m not a pro gamer, neither a casual gamer though. I used to do simracing competitions before and now I am a bit older and with less time for these things, but I don’t want to stop now.

Most powerful gaming notebooks are ugly, heavy, too big or not hackintosh compatible. I need one for hackintosh and for rF2 as well. And most of these are expensive in Brazil, and the trade off between price and performance does not compensate the investment. I can afford machines in the range of 4000-5000 brazilian reais (1000-1400 US Dollars).

The one I mentioned above is cheaper, closest thing to a macbook pro design (important), lighter, and can run a hackintosh, but I am not sure about rF2, although the video shows it can game - project Cars runs fine on it. Seems to run closer to what my hackintosh could do.

So... can it game with rF2? No? Then what are my other options? I don’t want any desktop computers. Thanks in advance!

10. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

The processor is probably fine, but the GPU (MX150) seems to be of similar strength to a GTX 650 or HD7950. It'll be able to run rF2, but perhaps with a most settings on low.

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

For gaming the i7 8550U will not be a good choice, the U is generally for low power use thus longer battery life and good for office use or casual light games.
    For gaming you will probably need an i7-7700HQ or i7-8750H.
    Overheating is a problem with these notebooks while hard gaming so make sure you have something to lift the back of the notebook off the table to help airflow under the notebook.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.242108.0.html

If you work loads demand the clock speed of an i7–7700HQ (as a basic option) - the i7–8550U is not a good replacement
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...0U-in-terms-of-performance-CPU-intensive-work