Can see server, cannot join, button greyed out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RealGT, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Goanna

Goanna Registered

From memory the default port number is 5397, if the are both the same change one to 5398. Prompt from the workshop?

RealGT likes this.
  2. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Prompt from the workshop attached.

Attached Files:

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

run steam as admin....Close Steam then navigate to your steam folder and find steam.exe, right click and select properties, click the compatibility tab and select change for all users, then tick the run as admin option, save and ok. You're good to start steam again.

RealGT likes this.
  4. RealGT

RealGT Registered

You're a hero. Making changes now.

5. RealGT

RealGT Registered

It still lives LOL. Steam and RFactor won't start without clicking OK to this prompt box. I made the changes to the json file like you instructed, the webui ports were indeed the same. But now they're different like you directed.

Attached Files:

6. redapg

redapg Registered

I hope i read the former Post correctly.
    You want to join the dedicated Server, that is running on the same Machine, from where you want to join, right?
    Try a direct LAN Shortcut.
    Create a Shortcut of the Bin64\rFactor2.exe.
    Rightclick on it, select Properties and in the Field "Target", at the End of the Entry, add a white Space and then:
    +multiplayer +connect="127.0.0.1:64297"
    And in the Field below of that ("execute in" in english, i guess), remove the \Bin64
    then click OK and start the Game by a Doubleclick on that Shortcut.
    Does that work for you?

RealGT likes this.
  7. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks red and goanna, I'm sorry to be such a pain in the ass. rFactor 2 is a beast of a thing, lol
    Trying now.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

... I should have test that before Posting....
    That Method still worked for me ~ 2 Weeks ago and now it doesn't work anymore as it seems.
    Another Test. :)
    If you open my Server list Website and click on your Server, does that connect you properly?

RealGT likes this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, next Info.
    The before described Method with the direct Shortcut LAN Link still works, if the Server needs no Password to join.
    Maybe it also works with a Password, but the old "Addon" +password XYZ seems not to work anymore.
    And if you try to join a Server with a Passowrd, but without the Addon +password... in the Link, you don't get leaded to a Screen where you can enter the Password.
    Another Bug in the new UI maybe.
    But as said, if the Server has no Password, the above Method still works.

RealGT likes this.
  10. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Having a bite to eat, will test shortly. :)

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Bon Appetite.
    I'm out of Home for the next Hours, will check this Thread later. :)

RealGT likes this.
  12. RealGT

RealGT Registered

update, I think I have it working, not 100% sure yet but I think I know what happened. There was a second player that I created called Player 1 in the userdata folder that had identical attributes as the "player" folder. When I deleted the Player 1 folder it launched. But not 100% sure yet. Stay tuned.

OK I think it's working, I got to launch the shortcut that goanna created and with redapg's edit it seems to be allowing me to connect to the server from the same PC hosting it. I am wondering if I copy all these files to a thumb drive can I replicate this on another PC to be a server.

Also, this only works when the server has no password meaning anyone can get it. Kinda not ideal. Let me see if it continues to work once I reboot. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. rand777

rand777 Registered

Here is the cmdline I use to start the dedicated serverr in case it helps:

"C:\Racing\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=".." +profile=player2

And this is the document I used to set up my dedicated server on the same machine. I use a password with my server and it works fine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4h9j2xzii98ohie/Steam-CMD.doc?dl=0

RealGT likes this.
  14. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thank you, this is by far the most helpful forum and community I've ever encountered! It's amazing. I'm learning so much. I think we have this part licked hopefully. I'm going to test all night.

My next questions if this functions is can I replicate this on other PCs by just copying and replacing the same files on another PC.

Can you freeze the spectator camera after hitting the U key. If you even slightly move the mouse the camera moves. I'd like to be in bumper cam, hit the U key and rotate it with the mouse, and then hit U again to freeze it there. Right now if you hit U again it resets it back to the nose cam.

Man so excited, this has been a 4 year project and I've gone through all the sim racing games until I got to rFactor! :D

rand777 likes this.
  15. rand777

rand777 Registered

Cool, hopefully that works. Once I started playing RF2 on a dedicated server with friends it took it to another level for me too.

I am interested to know if copying the server to another machine would work as well. Haven't tried it yet as I just have one PC at the moment.

RealGT likes this.
  16. redapg

redapg Registered

It worked also with Password protected Servers in the Past, so i guess it's just a Bug in the new UI, that will be fixed in the Future.
    The only Questions is, when in the Future it happens. :)

RealGT likes this.
  17. RealGT

RealGT Registered

So I moved everything from the PC running the dedicated server to the laptop. I ran steamcmd.exe to update and now I'm getting the following error when kicking off the server "Ensure ports set in multiplayer.ini are available"

It was running fine until I ran steamcmd.exe

edit: I think I know what happened. Since I switched machines the forwarded ports on the router are set to the desktop and not the laptop. let me change the IP to the laptop and see what happens.
    edit 2: hehehehe it worked. So now I know whatever machine is hosting you must change the IP to that machine on the router port settings.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    rand777 likes this.
  18. RealGT

RealGT Registered

I guess there was an update since this thread started and now when I try to join on the same PC as the dedicated server it says "mismatch" the server is running 1124 and my steam client is running 1123. I can't figure out how to update the steam client to the server. I already ran steamcmd in an elevated command prompt. Thanks!

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Message is back to front, server is 1123 and client 1124, you’ll need to update the server to 1124

RealGT likes this.
  20. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Ah OK, I ran steamcmd and it runs but it doesn't seem to update anything. Any advice Goanna? Thanks again for all your input.