Can Rfactor2 cope with loading a large map like gta4 ?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Skynet, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

My untested idea is to have engine.ini with rev limiter set to certain speed, then AI agression must be kept to zero too, I think.

AI understands walls somehow I guess, edges of tracks too, can they understand if wall is above or below road, invisible one?

How about if both lanes are different track, with 1mm off track terrain between them? Does AI understand road from terrain and what makes them understand that, maybe it can be used as invisible fence for AI, bit like robot hoovers can be told by placing those strips on floor.

Of course building track so that all lanes are separate will be pain.

Fences would be easier, setting so that they poke 1mm above the road might fool AI but human player would not feel much of anything from such, also set to transparent.

I'm not much of track maker, but I just think that any machine can be fooled, but is it useful to anything is another thing.

But also I can't understand why AI cars like to sway on track so much, they turn so much left and right that they spin out even at straight roads, AI is bit mystery to me.

Simple test track for AI purposes could be such that outer roads are like square and inner roads would be cross or + sign, square and cross would then form 4 intersections and one intersection at middle of cross.

2. osella

osella Registered

Yeah I know but I just realized I wouldn't really care about such map in rf2 anymore and that's also probably reason why hardcore sim developers don't include such maps either.
    You either want to RACE and then you want race circuits designed for that and good physics.
    Or you want to drive around a big town with everything that accompanies it and then physics just doesnt matter much.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Overtaking can be completely eliminated by using AIW corridors. But I don't know, it can result into massive traffic jam if there is very slow car in the front for some reason and nobody can pass. Guess that is more safer approach than head on collisions :D

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Stoplight races have been part of car culture for very long, back in old days car road test often mentioned how car is great surprise on those races etc.

Of course then spare tire location could be mentioned to be challenge for female drivers and there was nothing wrong in that, today you get probably sued from saying such in a magazine.

There are much more purposes that what first come to mind. different hazards etc. Hillclimb tracks are not race tracks, nor city tracks, but those too have their supporters, there are some local rally events where part of course is city streets. For example in WRC Jyväskylä, not sure if they still do that city section, but not too long ago I remember how there wer only some ribbons put to marking rally route, no concrete walls or anything as such. I remember someone hitting large tree also and his car was quite wrecked, but that is rally.

Anyway there probably is no single track type that would be useless.

Johannes, do 20 AI race at Mills and you find out something like traffic jam, especially if Kenworths are taking part to race, quite amusing really :D