Can plugins modify Mods (Car, Engine, Tire, etc.)

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by claytonbrown, Feb 22, 2017.

1. claytonbrown

claytonbrown Registered

Title says it all.

I don't see how this would be possible, because the file is "open" right (you're driving on the track). But a friend said at least in rF1 you could modify cars WHILE on track.

2. AceLain

AceLain Registered

that sound like hacking for me...

3. claytonbrown

claytonbrown Registered

Call it what you want.

In an attempt to start races on qualifying tires, the idea is to have a set of tires called "Qualifying". I already have a plugin that records tire wear, it would need to take that and over-write the "Qualifying" tire for the race.

We'd like to do other things with it as well (engine, brakes, etc). In general, I'm wondering if this is possible.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Modifying cars while on track in rF1 wasn't done in the files, it was done in memory. Developers rarely like discussion about such things, so best to leave it there I'd say.

John and lagg like this.
  5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

...it's an interesting question and unless it's banned on the forum - I don't see the harm in discussing it.
    The typical approach to this sort of idea would be to use a kernel level debugger and analyse the application's data, in memory on the fly, while the software being debugged (rF2) is running.
    Then you'd need to isolate the areas of memory containing the relevant data you want to modify.
    After that you need to write some memory resident software to dynamically alter those values on the fly - without upsetting the software in question.
    You could use this kind of method to give yourself an advantage in online races - which I don't support in the least. But modification of memory to change settings would be perfectly acceptable either locally - playing single player, or if you were playing with others who agreed to it - and/or were using similar software - i.e. the playing field is level.

Years ago I used to experiment with software modification using a kernel level debugger called SoftICE for NT, but that went obsolete about 15 years ago (the last version is 17 years old - written for Windows 2000).
    I believe you can achieve similar results on Win 10 with the right tools - but I haven't played around with it.

I think WinDBG or Visual Studio would be 2 tools you could pull this off with.
    Have a read here, do some digging and go from there if you're interested.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn553412(v=vs.85).aspx

Amanda Santini likes this.
  6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Best is to request devs to have this feature. I also would like to have this stuff and be able to take used tires, keep the engine wear for the whole weekend instead of reset it everytime we go back to pit, etc. But modifing on memory open doors for alot of things. Hopefully simracing tools actually detect this

muz_j likes this.