Can i opt out DX11?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fsuarez79, Jul 26, 2017.

1. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Hi

I just read on the July roadmap that soon DX11 will become the default engine. As strange as this may sound, will I be able to opt out and keep using DX9 if I choose to?

Now the reason is because graphics and a pretty game was never an issue for me, I was happy enough with DX9, but as expected, lots of mods are having compatibility issues and bugs with the new engine and I don't expect many of them to be updated, so I'd rather be able to keep all my mods than have a prettier game with far less content.

SPASKIS and RoboCAT10 like this.
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

Hm, I'm not aware of any popular mods that don't run on DX11, there are one or two tracks I've seen with custom shaders that won't work, but that's all. The excessive glare is the main issue with old mods, but that can be eliminated by turning post FX off.

You are already able to use older builds from the betas tab, so I doubt that's going to change and DX9 builds will remain there. But I assume at some point you won't be able to play online anymore with the old DX9 build when they introduce new physics features. Same with the UI, I don't think DX9 will get the new UI stuff.

3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Excessive glare is exactly what killed it for me. The 2 tracks I tested, the 2 that were unplayable....I changed things here and there in the settings but wasn't able to fix it so I went back to DX9.
    Once DX11 becomes the default engine I'll give a try your suggestion of turning post FX off, if that fixes it for all tracks then great, I just don't want to be switching between one and the other or get rid of my tracks, but it's good to know I'll be able to use DX9 via betas tab if I need to.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

"We will keep the DX9 engine around as an option for a little while longer, at least until we’ve rolled out the new overlays (see below)."
    DX9 gon' die.
    But as stonec mentioned above, get rid of bloominess by setting post effects to 'none'

5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I read that too and was confused by it, hence my question.
    At this point, I'd prefer someone from Studio 397 to answer since we're all speculating :D

6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Some plugins such as Gerald's TV plugin isn't compatible with DX11. So until it is or a new one is made, no one should be forced to move to DX11.

7. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I think it will be some time until DX9 is phased out.

The new UI and all the screen draw stuff needs bedding in and testing.
    People will need time to develop and update their HUD's and other plugin that draw to the screen etc.

Definitely months rather than weeks going by the development cycle of the DX11 build so far.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

I think you can disable automatic updates, but what is the purpose to freeze the development of the game on your PC ? is a single plugin so important?

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I use it to record my races with, so yes it is extremely important. That and I also don't care much for he new updates S397 have announced. I'm happy with how the graphics are now (dx9) but also relies heavily on these dx9 only compatible plugins. So for myself, upgrading to dx11 for no real benifit makes zero sense. I will only start using dx11 until these plugins are comatibale or maybe if S397 can be bothered to fix some bugs. As is the situation now, NO ONE should be forced to use dx11 especially if it detracts from the overall enjoyment for some.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No one's forced to use Dx9 now, and it looks like no one will be forced to use Dx11 when it's default. Don't stress.

11. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Track modders can spend 30 minutes and edit their textures - to update.. Sadly a lot wont.
    You could always contact the author and ask permission to edit them.. and do it yourself ?

12. Jon

Jon Registered

I too have no interest in pretty graphics, but DX11 theoretically should have one major advantage that benefits everyone: far better performance. Why this isn't happening is anyone's guess. But I play it with post effects set to none, and shadows turned off to avoid the stuttering (you still get a shadow under the cars). The plugins should work when the new UI is ready, or even incorporate lap timings and other tools into the new UI making third-party plugins obsolete.

When the DX11 is finally considered stable it's likely to replace the DX9 as the default version in Steam. However there is an option to deselect automatic updates; I think you can find it by clicking on the rFactor tab in the games library on Steam.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think that although it's usually said dx11 will outperform dx9 when doing the same thing, the fact that rF2 has never had outstanding visuals nor fantastic framerates would suggest the engine isn't very good at maximising performance from current systems. Making it work with dx11, which has enabled some extra stuff that dx9 didn't do (even with post effects off), may very well not lead to a performance boost.

New plugins will work when an interface is released, but existing ones will not (unless updated). That might be what you meant, just want to be clear for anyone else.

Jon likes this.
  14. Jon

Jon Registered

It's possible the new UI will expose additional graphic options. Bloom and DoF can be switched on and off individually in AC. In fact one of the most popular filters in AC is the Natural Graphics Mod which by default switches off or at least significantly reduces many of the special effects, and focuses on delivering a clean, natural look with a nice pallette. Hopefully the new UI will give us more options, including the ability to switch off the post-effects completely as is the case with AC, which could lead to a performance increase. I read ambient occlusion is activated by default (which is why shadows appear under cars even when shadows is switched off). However AO can significantly impact performance, so sliders which adjust its quality level or deactivate it completely should lead to a performance increase.

peterchen likes this.
  15. unknwn

unknwn Registered

For me the biggest downside with DX11 seems to be increased input lag. I have no scietific numbers for that, however rF2 with DX9 felt like a sim that had smallest amount of input lag compared to other sims. Now with DX11 input lag seems to be worse than other sims. There have been updates which helped (it was horrible before that) but it still doesn's feel like DX9 level of input lag on my machine. Could be related to my PC specs but I am not sure because I always run 58 FPS limit on 60hz screen to reduce screen tearring. FPS never drops below the limit I set.
    Additionally I notice some occasional stuttering with DX11 despite having stable/fixed FPS.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  16. Stan

Stan Registered

@unknwn Welcome to the long list of those suffering of the stuttering/fullscreen bug!
    DX11 is known to be, for sure more beautiful than DX9, but also as a slower API...

17. Jon

Jon Registered

I had severe stuttering last night which prevented me from doing a race. I checked my task manager and saw a few tasks called "Microsoft Compatibiliy Telemetry" using up the CPU. I typed it into Google and the autocomplete came up with "...high CPU usage". I read a site on how to fix it and found a link to a free software on GitHub which automatically disables it. My CPU bar then went back to normal (about 50%-80%%) depending on where I was on the track. Another thing I did was disabled the background apps when Google Chrome is not running found in the settings of Google Chrome, and disabled its auto start with Windows setting.

I think the same "problem" is with Assetto Corsa. If I race with many cars and several crash then I would get a CPU > 99% warning, and everything goes into slow motion. In fact it's more common in AC with fewer cars than rFactor with more cars. I'm quite sure it's the AI. AC allows me a maximum of eight cars before this warning, rFactor allows 14 AI cars on my machine with the stuttering happening only very occasionally.

18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

@Marcel Offermans has said the contrary in the Discord chat.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Ho3n3r Ok, just did a search on discord and while I think you are right, it's probably not going to happen very soon. But yes, he did say dx9 will eventually not be updated and therefore won't be compatible to play against dx11.

In a way that doesn't hurt RoboCAT10 too much, as he only plays offline. Til more features come in, of course. But we could be looking a long way into the future here; by then new things may well have replaced what is used now, maybe even better options.

But, fair call.

Ho3n3r and SPASKIS like this.
  20. Comante

Comante Registered

In all honesty I'm suprised that some people find DX11 versione "stuttery". I played DX9 version on a R9-270X, and despite having a good framerate, I often found the game stutter somewhat, little but annoyingly. Sadly my GPU fried (no, overclock) and now I'm forced to play DX11 on a old ATI 5760 HD , very low details, no rearmirrors, no Postprocess, BUT despite having the game running at around 45 fps, it look smoother than it was before. I can't wait to try a new GPU and upshift the details, but in my eyes things look promising.