Can any graphics gurus helps out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squeeekmo, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

I have reason to believe that my system is bottle necking. Reason is that I have all details set to high and I get 55-58 fps on most tracks. I wanted to achieve minimum 60 fps so I lowered the graphic settings but still the same fps. I turned off HDR and still 55-58 fps. At the beginning of the race I get the same fps at the back of the grid as I do when sitting in pitlane or racing solo. I tried changing AA settings in nvidia inspector but couldn't find a setting that took me over the 55-58 fps mark. Though some settings like 16x super sampling did lower fps to 35 average.
    I don't have mirrors turned on and nvidia inspector AA is set to override the application. I've tried turning shadows down and effects but still no change in fps.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions. Would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Stupid question, but let's eliminate the most obvious first: do you have any sync'ing turned on? (i.e. video, software, gpu)?

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

Or a max framerate set in the player files? Also check your gpu control panel settings for a vsync option and see if anything is enabled.

4. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Thanks blakboks (there are no stupid questions. Most of the time its a simple fix for this sort of thing so its the stupid questions that often lead to the right answer ;) ]

I have sync set as video(I never understood this setting)? What should it be at?

Minibull Vsync is off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Try setting sync to 'none' and see what kind of framerates you get. sync set to 'video' = vsync.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

sync set to video means you have vsync on. Turn it off ("none"), then make sure you don't have a framerate limit set in your rFactor 2 player.json file. Then retest and get back to us.

7. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Thanks for your help guys, I will test tonight and let you know if the issue remains.
    Also just quickly, I thought Vsync regulated the the frame rate to maximum 60fps where possible. How come it floats around 55fps?

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well it can still drop to 55, or any number lower than 60 for that matter. Vsync brings on way too much input lag though for serious racing sims, disable it.

9. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Ok so the problem still persists but I am certain that some kind of vsync is happening even though all my settings say it is off. The reason I come to this conclusion is that I changed my monitor to a lower res but set the refresh rate to 75 and low and behold I got average 73 fps. Any ideas?

10. Comante

Comante Registered

Evidently you still are under V-sinc, if not from the game settings ,probably from the GPU control panel.

11. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Checked out all the nvidia control panel, Vsync was set to application controlled. I changed the setting to 'forced off' did the same in nvidia inspector. But Rfactor still runs with Vsync (other games like fifa 14 (220 fps) and Assetto Corsa around (120fp) do not have Vsync enabled. So I believe that somewhere in Rfactor config there is something I have missed.

Any other Ideas guys, you've been very helpful.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wouldn't even set it to "forced off", but rather application controlled/let application decide. Then, the only other thing is rF2 itself. Before you even go in the game, click on config in the rF2 launcher and set your res, refresh rate, etc. from there and make sure that you select "None" for the sync setting. Then make sure you click O.K. Then open up rF2 single player mode and check. If it's still messed, then, while in game, go to options (or is it settings?) --> Display, and make sure Sync there is also set to "None".

13. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Tried that but still nothing Spinelli, I'm lost...Do you reckon there is anyway to fool Rfactor into thinking my monitor has a refresh rate higher than 60 and still run in 1920 x 1080 res? but I guess that wouldn't help me with the extra delay due to Vsync.
    There needs to be a setting or there is a bug in my rfactor :(
    If it wasn't an rfactor issue it would happen in other games also right?

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There has to be some kind of software running on your PC that is forcing VSync, there is almost no way that rF2 itself just keeps vSync enabled no matter what.

15. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

I will disable all other process in task manager and see if it does anything. Then it should be a process of elimination.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

Go in you Rfactor2 data folder\ user \ ,find the player.json, search for the keyword Framerate, find the key "maximum framerate" o something like that, set it to 200.
    Save and launch RF2.

17. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Thanks Comante, I will try your suggestion also.

18. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Ok Fixed,

Render once per Vsync in the player.JSON file was set to 1 so I changed it to 0.
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Appreciate your time trying to help.

19. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Pretty noticeable difference in the ability to control a slide now at an average of 110fps. The best thing though is it all feels more precise. Easier to hit an apex more consistently. Before I'd hit the inside ripple strip 1/2 the time which would send the car sideways. Now I find it easier to put the car where I want it.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Im pretty sure that ff render once per vsync makes a difference then you still have vSync running.