Camera stabilization High do not work or need extra option

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by magicfr, Jun 29, 2021.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

As a long-term VR user (ooh, 5 years or so with just one short break back to triples when some of the eye-candy was introduced) - I’m somewhat bemused by the whole concept of horizon locking - but I’m one of the lucky ones that don’t have motion-sickness issues in VR (well, until I tried Boneworks this weekend - the walking/running effect in that takes some getting used to….)

I did have reason in the last week or two to try stabilisation/locking on Low (can’t recall what I was driving or where - possibly the Caterham Academy cars) to try to tame some head vibration, but I couldn’t discern any difference and didn’t come away with any better idea what it was trying to achieve. So yep, quite subjective I guess - and therefore hard to develop/test unless you’ve got someone to hand that experiences the issue.

mixer61 likes this.
  2. Roberto Camplese

Roberto Camplese Registered

3. Maarten Bakker

Maarten Bakker Registered

I'm new to this sim, and I'm having the exact same problem. Doing a session of 15 minutes in VR makes me feel ill. It seems like the HMD is connected to the movement of the car, the camera is constantly moving up and down. That might seem realistic to some, but without having g-forces applied to your body that are exactly in tune with the camera movement, this doesn't work. In raceroom I'm not having these issues, it's not perfect, but in comparison, the ride there is pretty smooth.

This unfortunately makes me not able to play this game, what a shame. It would be nice if the community would at least be able to create a plugin to fix this. But what I understand here is that plugins cannot access that area of the game.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's correct. We went from having no stabilization options, to the 3 levels we have now, and I don't know if any devs have ever commented on it. There's probably an element of 'realism' in there somewhere (as a motive, at that time at least), but there's obviously a diverse range of preferences with the users so I'm not sure why nothing's ever been added/changed.

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I spent some time last night racing various cars in rF2 VR, a couple of them were LMP class (Firm susp). It actually worked fine with the cockpit-cam stabilization set to max. I'll have to try those cars on Sebring next and see how it goes.

I do have a motion system plus Valve Index VR HMD (Lighthouse Tracking), so that makes a difference in the result but, there are other sim titles that can cause considerable discomfort for me so, rF2 isn't the worse of them. That's not to say rF2 stabilization couldn't be improved, though.

Wherever I've used Lock to Horizon in VR, that would really mess with my senses on incline / decline terrain changes. In AMS2, there is a balance slider ranging from Lock View to Horizon, to Lock View to Car, and in between. There are also 2 different algorithms offered, so that covers all the options really well.

Still, the intensity of motion effects makes a difference here, as it can flip things the other way in regard to real vs virtual head-movement due to bumps and undulations on track. My point being, there is a fine balance in making it work together. Three choices may not cover enough ground to suit many players.

6. Maarten Bakker

There should be an option to set the bounciness from "full on" to "full off", so people can choose the intensity themself. Right now you're just excluding many VR users to be able to enjoy the game. Of course there are people not affected by this, and say there is nothing wrong with it.

They can also make it so that a plugin can to control this, because sim developers don't seem to be very interested in VR, and the community can pick it up.

richiehatchet likes this.
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Turn head physics to 0%

pilAUTO likes this.
  8. Maarten Bakker

it is already on 0%

adam jay and rinalduzzi like this.
  9. rinalduzzi

rinalduzzi Registered

10. rinalduzzi

rinalduzzi Registered

Same for me. No motion sickness on the other SIM...

11. rinalduzzi

rinalduzzi Registered

I think DEV don't care about this, i think they don't play in VR.

adam jay likes this.
  12. rinalduzzi

rinalduzzi Registered

We are enough clever to set 0%.

adam jay likes this.
  13. Sairus

Sairus Registered

Studio 397, please fix.

14. NClabs

NClabs Registered

C'mon guys, please! I can't this game without feeling sick after few minutes!

adam jay and Maarten Bakker like this.
  15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I use vr and have been fine with it, even before any stabilization was introduced.
    Just recently started trying out the 3 modes, and cant say anything about it yet. Im so used to the camera movement, that its hard to tell if its "better" for me?

That said, any argument against having the option to full lock is kinda invalid, due motion sickness being a real issue for many, and mostly because other games have recognised it, and added the feature.
    So its pretty much a thing to have in a racing sim.
    Hopefully it will be added soon.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd like to see video of someone driving in VR with 100% horizon lock at Bathurst or Nords - I just can't see how it would be the most preferred option, having to look up and down hills when you're in a car that's pointing up or down those same hills.

But anyway, sure, add it as an option - but please also increase the number of available settings to what's already there. Just adding a full lock to the existing 3 options would be a shame.

17. NClabs

NClabs Registered

It's hard to explain with words. I think your best bet should be taking a look at what iRacing does. It basically mimic the neck and the vestibular system. When you have rapid movement the horizon stay stable but when you are climbing a steep the horizon offsets and during that climb the horizon is set to new angle, and it's stable like that until you change the angle again. It's like having a double system to detect fast changes and gradual changes.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, but that's actually what the existing Stabilize Horizon setting does. It just needs some extra options, to extend the smoothing period.

19. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

@3:12
    Request to rF2 devs for at least enabling plugin developers to fix the motion sickness / camera stabilization issues: "It'd be really nice if rF2 devs actually exposed the roll locked horizon and the head filtering options more", because high frequency roll vibrations with horizon lock cannot be fixed at the moment with plugins.

adam jay likes this.
  20. adam jay

adam jay Registered

Had to register just to complain. As a VR title:You, the developers, have to remove the camera shaking as an option for VR, or other setups.
    It makes no sense to force motion sickness on the players who desire a horizon lock. It is a feature found in Kunos titles, VR games, whenever a headset is used. I understand it might be a creative choice to retain some camera movement but it only causes discomfort. There is no reason why we VR gamers shouldnt enjoy your sim, which is fantastic. But dont make us nauseous please! :)