Business Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMattyOnline, Feb 3, 2017.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

One thing that strikes me with rfactor2 at the moment, is what do S397 get out of all this work?
    Surely they have to make money somewhere, other than the initial sale of the game, which I bought at a big discount on a steam sale.
    IRacing charges a monthly sub and huge amounts for any new content.
    Assetto Corsa and AMS charge for new content / DLC.
    So i assume S397 are going to have to start charging for their work, such as the USF2000 and the Nissan?
    Or am I missing something.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

No idea how I missed that bit! Thanks

Having paid more than is sensible for content from iRacing, I would be very happy to pay for good quality content. Either official or otherwise.
    I purchased the URD mod recently and it's worth every penny.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Wish S397 went for a model like RaceRoom to be honest (the model of the packs, not the lack of custom skins), having these licensed championships would be nice and depending less on modding would be amazing, especially the tracks

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I personally have nothing against modding, but would happily pay for licensed content, as long as feature set stays the same or improves.

gpfan likes this.
  6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Nothing against modding from my side either, but things take way too long to appear with mods and the quality changes a lot depending on who did it so you have not so nice surprises when a track runs very poorly while others run smooth as silk
    Also modding will never attract as much people as licensed content with a good marketing plan. You can't market a mod officially, except if you want a party with lawyers, reason why I'm not so sure the plan to allow modders to sell stuff will work that well. If that makes rF2 get like 1500~2000 daily peak players I'd be happy tho