Bumps in the circuit problem

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by copa, Feb 28, 2012.

1. copa

copa Registered

Hi,

My problem is that when I convert the old circuit to rfactor rfactor 2 I get very bumpy, my question is
    Any idea to flatten those bumps in the circuit with the 3ds studio max? Many thanks

2. ethone

ethone Registered

It might be bumps (others have suggested to use the relax modifier in 3ds max), but I've also had an issue with a too high-poly road (scratch-made for rF2) causing insane bumps without any actual bumps being present, so you might want to check that too.

3. copa

copa Registered

Then you can reduce those bumps in 3ds studio max?
    If yes, specify as I can, I have little experience with 3D Studio Max

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Also check the .tdf. I know that isi has already said that the amplitude should be much much lower (or even 0 for the road surface itself).

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I wouldn't recommend 0. The sine waves have been replaced by fractals, giving a much more random result. Because polygons (or rather vertices) are samples in 3D space, each edge will be a hard spike until PC speeds are high enough to increase the resolution of the road mesh significantly. The fractal TDF signal will act as a little bit of noise in which most of the edge spike will dissipate.

One could easily compare the road mesh with a compressed image using a limited colour palette (such as GIF). Adding extra noise is a good way to improve visual results (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither). The banding we notice on compressed images without dithering is the same artifact the physics engine sees when it processes the track surface. By adding low-amplitude bumps, you can actually reduce the severity of the physical bumps, making the overall end result feel smoother.

6. copa

copa Registered

Hi,
    I was doing what was said on this subject, but the truth that are still bumps in the path. Any ideas?

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

still looking for a solution.