Build Release Notes 382 announced ``soft particles in UI`` - what does this mean ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GauchoRS, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you go out on track and do some donuts, and watch where the smoke is meeting the track surface, you can see that with Soft Particles set to Off that there is a sharp line between smoke and not-smoke (so there's smoke... then there's none... no transition). With a number of smoke/dust 'clouds' you end up with lots of these lines.

With Soft Particles on High that line is 'blurred'. You can still see that they are individual 'clouds' but the sharp lines aren't apparent.

But I'll agree the FPS didn't seem to be affected much for me. Maybe 5-10fps change on a base of 70-80.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Pre build 382

[​IMG]

Build 382 (regardless of the soft partials setting)

[​IMG]

....something wrong with my installation ?

(I installed rf2 fresh )

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh I'm with ya,that could well explain the slight FPS drop when the AI lock up in shadowed areas but it's nothing really noticeable for me, thanks for the explanation.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Adrian, as discussed in the Build 382 thread, most people (as far as I know) are no longer getting massive FPS hits when smoke/dust clouds appear (in build 342 I could literally drop from 100fps to <10fps just by doing a donut or two, by myself on track). This has to be due to some change, and your screenshots are probably some indication of those changes.

So no, I don't think anything is wrong with your installation. Things look different because they have to in order to perform ok.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  6. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

I apologize but I was not able to follow this thread shortly after I had created.

I really missed some explanations of how this feature ``soft particles`` was implemented in rFactor2 and the differences between the levels, as John re asked. I thought that asking for explanations is constructive critism if the build notes informs about the UI representation of the feature.

If this offends you, I apologize too.

So let me ask again as polite as I can do it:
    - Can you please explain what "soft particles" are in rFactor2 and also please explain what the different options are and their individual effect on the game? What can we expect from each of the options?
    - What happend with the ``sun occlusion`` feature ?

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Without soft particles
    [​IMG]

With Soft particles
    [​IMG]

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Dj

Thanks! At last screenshots that show what this option actually does

Previously if someone was to mention the words "soft particles" I would have though they'd be talking about quantum mechanic's !