Build 798 Tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimcarrel, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

You will have to convince me that they are not different (for the better) in this build. I didn't really notice it when driving some of the open wheelers I rarely drive (Marussia) but when I loaded up the Megane, it stuck out like a big beautiful thumb.

2. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Excuse my ignorance. I am interested to know how does a build alter the tyre? I know tyre data/physics is packaged up with each mod..

3. Comante

Comante Registered

Coanda, as I learned, the data are packed in the mod, but how the simulator employ these data is up to the build version.

4. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Yeah rightio. Interesting. Tim can ISI confirm a change?

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Funny because I thought, but never mentioned, that the tires were tweaked last build. It seemed to me cold tire behavior was slightly different.

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Well they were drifferent/changed in B770, the most noticable was heat buildup. However tires from 798 are night and day compared to 770. Sliding less, more consistant grip, unless you drive like a total tool, it's difficult to overheat, almost bake them.

I like it very much. FFB is slightly different too and that makes a difference in driving since you feel a bit more. At least that's what I'm feeling right now, just a suble more refined feel.

7. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

So were the tyres 'wrong' before this build and are they 'right' now? Maybe I'll get more realistic F1 grip around Silverstone now, or maybe I just suck at applying the throttle correctly.

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

No, don't look at it in wrong-right shades. They are just different now. I believe we are still lacking very important, almost essential feature that is tire pressure working properly, changing correctly as the temp goes up and affecting tire shape and therefore contact patch and grip. Maybe it's finally working in the background but it needs content update to take full advantage of it. I will have a better picture of what's going on when new/updated content comes out and it will be soon.

Even if there isn't any change in that aera yet I'm happy because it feels more natural to drive these cars right now. Just this feeling of slowly getting there, step by step. Can't deny that it is making me feel jolly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I just took out the GT-R @Indy 2014 and all seems same to me. :p Did 20 laps with default. I'm not fast though, maybe that's the difference. :)

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

We don't only have GTR. ;) Try other GT cars, Camaro or FISI. URD cars feel different too. About being fast, it helps to pinpoint and spot changes easier since most subtle feedback can be felt near the limit. The closer you are to it, the more you actually should feel. For me it was immediate, first few corners and I already knew things were changed. Wasn't even pushing on the outlap and then as I did a longer stint of faster laps I was sure of differences. :)

Hardware and software set up is also imporant to catch such changes and feel them straightaway instead of guessing. :)

For me tires now have a stronger bite. It's like they are less hesitant. That makes cars firmer and less prone to lazy slides (not talking about big moments, wild oversteer, surprise understeer etc but the small, tiny ones [slides], even in slower corners). Makes them feel a bit more hooked around the corner and that makes thermal deg less of an issue (Less sliding, less heat building up) and becasue of that grip level is more consistant. You just feel more in control.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  11. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Tested my usual league car BT20, no difference in grip nor laptimes

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This is funny... Straight after having updated, I loaded up my favorite combo; the F2 at Silverstone International.
    Driving full throttle down the Hangar Straight I suddenly had the best feeling ever over the bumps; the tires actually felt "bouncy".

It's hard to explain. It like when you watch the replay from an onboard angle close to the tires, where you see them move and "deform" under loading.
    I could suddenly "feel what it looked like" in the force feedback. Awesome stuff.

Oh my, the other sims have their work cut out for them... ;)
    ISI keeps the lead and extends it by a country mile.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

Very speculative but something feels better. I hope it is not a placebo. I've drive so rarely last time that it is very well possible, but I do not care, it feels good. :)

14. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I just updated from unstable 789 to this build and for me it feels different as well and the tyre heat & slip angle data backs it up. I can feel a change even on my gpad and I don't even have my wheel & rig setup. I have been doing allot of testing with the modified RFT F1 lately and for sure as soon as I did an out lap I felt it. It feels as Ronnie described above. More grip, allot more stability and greater feel. My initial thoughts are that it feels positive. Nice one ISI. I may need to tweak my setups to get the desired slip angle however that's no big deal.

It still would be good to have this confirmed by Tim/ISI..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  15. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm a bit off atm from driving. I'm anyway tired and have no motivation to dive in as i would like to do. I was already bad with half motivation but with zero energy i feel back in the days i've started, perhaps even more like a beginner. I really don't know what's going on with me atm but i have zero passion for something i loved for ages. Are i'm getting older or is it the sim community, i don't know.

I believe you if you are in to it and say so. Nevertheless important is you feel good and enjoy driving it. ;)

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1

17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

That happen to me from time to time, and in that case I need to get some rest and step back from the sim. Usually I do something totally different instead for some days, or sometimes I jump in other kind of Sim (Space like X3 or X-Rebirth, Flight Sim, etc.). And I wait to get the feeling I need to come back to rF2. I call that "saturation" even if it sound hard, that's probably something not far from this feeling, even if it's our main passion...

Edit: and BTW I feel also something different coming from tires and FFB, something I like, don't know how to say it technically.

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Is it the age, or just a saturation in general ? I don't get it, because i loved it and couldn't do without for ages and now i'm burned out anyway. Maybe your right and i should dive in a brain-less play for some time, any shooter or something else. Or i just should spend more time for practice Wing Chun, my new one with my 40 after decades of different martial arts. :)

Btw i don't know if the tires are different,.........before someone says me is off topic. :)

19. Comante

Comante Registered

Speed, I spent my freetime with various flight simulations (always combat, never civilian),more button there were to press, more I enjoyed doing it. Falcon 4 ( a 1999 simulator, still alive in several difference versions, had something like 300 keystrokes, probably more today). After several years, the entusiasm curve flattened, and then dropped. While I still like to be online with my squadron, I was doing it only for that,for the people, and not for the simulation itself. Things get worse when the time you spend on it, does not repay you with satisfaction or fun. Now, I would really like to restart, but you know... after several years far from a very complex simulator, you have to find the time to study the freaking manual, that is several hundreds pages thick.
    All this to say that I understand you. Now I prefer to invest my freetime with RF2, it allow for a more casual fun, but I understand that if you want to receive some satisfaction from it, you have to invest a good quantity of time, despite having just a wheel and 2 pedals and not hundreds of keypresses to do, the level of complexity is so high that frustration is alwas behind the corner.
    Our passtimes will kill us! :D

20. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

It really depends what you are doing. I was a bit turned off mid of last year and frustrated due to a leauge I drove in. It wasnt a speed problem, but the mistakes I did etc. which was unusual. I really questioned my ability.
    A few month later I joined a team, which was newly formed to run an endurance series. I helped to build it up and get a few of the drivers up to speed. We ran an 8 and a 12 hour race and it was really the best experience I had so far in rF2.

Unfortunately we havent found a nice endurance series so far for 2014, but some will come and it will be a blast again.