build 770 - missing part, corrupt meshes

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by PlickBadger, Jul 2, 2014.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Now that he's let the cat out of the bag :)

2. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Cat is clearly still in the bag :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Oh oh, nice catch! I spent lot of time yesterday trying to reproduce this behavior using only ISI content, missed that one! ;)

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Can confirm the problem with the SLS @ Indy

5. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I believe I found the issue with my Miata Mods. The following instance name in the .gen file creates the bug

Instance=SUSPENSION

If I change this instance name to something else, everything works perfectly.

I hope this helps in some way. I'll be releasing version 1.2 of all 3 mods soon

6. Bernd W.

Bernd W. Registered

This would be great!!!

7. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thanks Plick, this really is a jewel of a mod!

9. philman

philman Registered

One more time: many thanks. Hope ISI would explain the problem of "Instance=suspension"

10. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Thank you very much for the fix ... your Miatas are really a fun ride! :)

11. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

And how exactly do you know that?

12. freew67

freew67 Registered

Unstable

13. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

The suspension is deformable, that's how it moves with the wheels. I know we changed how this system works a while back (several months and at least a couple builds) to be much more efficient, but I think it's also a bit more complicated. I don't think it has been directly worked on lately, but as you know sometimes one change inadvertently changes something else.

14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I know the bug was/is present in the newer builds, because I tested it. I figured out how to fix it, by changing the instance name and released an update to the mod.

My other comment was out of frustration and unwarranted - I apologize for getting so frustrated.

15. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I'm just confused by how a single instance name (Instance=SUSPENSION) can trigger such a bug. I changed nothing other than the instance name and it fixed the issue. Are there restrictions on what instances can be called?

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Here's a quick video showing the issue in DevMode of build 770

And then showing how just changing the instance name resolves it.

17. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Instance=SUSPENSION is the 'old style' suspension, where there is a single suspension mesh for the entire car. Modern car cmps use the Instance=DEBRISn style of suspension meshes where there is an individual susp mesh for each wheel, which can be detached in a crash. I can't find any car which has used the old-style of single-mesh susp for many years. It is supposedly still supported, but has stopped working consistenly in the latest builds, still trying to figure out why.

18. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks for the info. I am only using a single mesh for the suspension. It's a graphical relic leftover from the rF1 version of the mod . I will update it in future releases to use Instance=DEBRISn

19. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I was looking at the Nords V1.65 track problem where there are no trees in build 770 (32+64bit). It's not my track by any means but nice to try getting it working. The good news is I did, well sort of.
    I tried a few different things to begin with without success:-
    I changed every instance name in the scn file using Notepads Find and Replace option to change all instance names to something different to see if it was same as PlickBadger's problem and fix. No joy there, still no trees.
    Loaded all trees into 3Dsimed3, re-saved them, rePacked them. Still no trees.
    [​IMG]

I noticed in the scn file all the instance lines for the trees are near the bottom of the file. I thought I would see what happens if I moved the trees from the bottom to near the top of the file so they get loaded first. Low and behold the trees showed up when trying it in game. yeah :)
    [​IMG]

I thought I would see what happens if I moved all the Road instance lines to the bottom of the scn file and sure enough all the roads did not show up.
    [​IMG]

I don't know the reason for this. Why are the objects near the bottom of the file not showing? Is there a limit now to how many instance lines you can have in a scn file? Nords has many. Or maybe something different?

Sorry to hijack your thread PlickBadger :p.

DJC

20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Not my thread any more :) Joe clearly stated that there was some type of issue using the old single mesh suspension graphic method. When I renamed the suspension mesh instance, it bypassed the issue. If there any further updates to the miatas, I'll modernize the suspension mesh instances in the .gen file, but I don't think it has any effect other than visuals.

It sounds like you have found some other type of issue. Possibly length of .scn file?