Build 660 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

Some people seem to dislike some of the changes with the karts in this build, but i just tried them and they don't feel hugely different from before, but in my opinion they feel a bit better if anything.

The strange thing is that i noticed much greater improvements with other cars, there's no real mention of any physics changes in the build notes so this is a bit odd. However, the Brabham, FR3.5, and FISI all feel much more realistic and i can take advantage of a stiffer setup in all of those cars now, but even with the same setups i was using before, they just feel better. I can't quite explain why, but they feel like they're more weighted and their weight shifting seems much more realistic. I had to look and make sure all of my settings and FFB was the same as before because of how much better everything felt. The Brabham before this update felt like a front engine car because the rear was all over the place, it just didn't feel like there was much weight on the rear tires, now it feels much more like a mid-engine car with a very well balanced chassis. I thought the Brabham was always a fun car, but it never felt like a car that i would want to be in if i was looking to win races because it was just too unpredictable and you always had to watch the rear end, i was really questioning how anyone could have won a race with the Brabham, let alone a couple of championships; i couldn't even imagine how bad every other car during those seasons must have been if that Brabham was realistic. That's all changed now though, it really feels like a well designed and capable car now, i'm a bit blown away by how much better it handles actually, i'm able to really push the car now and can trust what it's telling me to do. It also feels much less tiring to drive, although that could be because i was a bit sick the last time i drove it. I look forward to trying the other classic F1's after feeling how much the Brabham has improved now.

Overall, i'm really impressed by how much more dynamic everything feels with this latest build, i've never felt this comfortable in any sim before, it's like driving a real car; this is really impressive. The AI at 110% isn't even enough for me anymore, so either i've somehow become a massively better driver out of nowhere, or a lot of small tweaks were done to the physics, either way, it feels great.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Very exciting to read this.

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

This^ I experenced the exact same thing last night while tuneing my set up for next weeks race I kept tightening the set more and more wher before it would have been a spin fest at thoes suspention numbers ! I also noticed being able to hold it/ save it while on the edge' in power slides it just seems more life like !

;-P

4. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Has anyone experienced any issues regarding connection losses with the new build? My team mate never had problems before, after updating to the new build he almost always loses connection to the Server when he joins for the first time after 5-10 seconds.

Even worse, he loses connection to the server on session changes. Happens 3 times out of 4 session changes.

I have not had problems like this, but noticed that i also lose my connection ( yet very occasionally ) also 5-10 seconds after joining ( not on session changes ).

Anyone with similar problems and maybe an idea what could cause that? Teammate uses the same system as with build 590, same drivers and stuff, no plugins in rF2.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've had two disconnections soon after joining a server, never had that sort of thing before. Haven't had it enough - or tried enough things - to know any more though.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You won't get damper velocity directly from telemetry. You have to create a calculation to get them. In MoTeC, there is a math for that already. I believe, it was always like that, including rF 1.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

We had a few discos

Also no doubt in my mind something about the F3 is better this Build.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I will agree that either AI is slower overall somehow (at the same %), or I've suddenly become a much better driver (don't think so).

Tim, could you either quash this love-fest by confirming nothing has changed physics or set-up wise, or, please let us in on at least a thumbnail version of what could cause these effects.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Whatever you do.......

Just don't touch the F3's again.

lopl

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, and the Motec software has built-in maths for the velocity, don't even need to do it yourself. I don't know that we're losing all that much by not having the velocity directly, and whether rF2 itself uses the velocity in what it does (seems possible the velocity is really just a by-product). Having the suspension positions supplied at the full 400Hz would be great for calculating the velocities but I can't see that happening.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

B660 Dedicated server is running without problems...so far. But another strange issue (reproducible): when i go into the settings, doesn`t matter on- or offline modus, switch to Resolution, change e.g. HDR off and click on "apply", rF2 is crashing completly. Fresh install B660.

//Edit: microstutters allways there...

12. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

That's been an issue for many builds now for me. I have to make those changes from the launcher.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Alt Tab then close task manager .........

No reason you should be changing GFX anyways once they set the way you like......... unless you do not know what you like. lol :)

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for the information. I didn`t played with this settings right now, but now i tried to eleminate the micro stutters withe some different types/combinations of settings.

You are a clown, isn`t it?

How could ich change my preferred setting the very first time, if it`s not working???

Your answer is really senseless, but thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.

I just told you how to save it. Like gee thanks mate. Senseless ?

ALT+TAB hit task manager , cancel task manager

You said .................. " it completely crashes ......." I had to guess you neber tried alt-tab ?

I smiled at end ? ..........I would have rolled my eyes if I was being sarcastic, learn to read the smilies.

Typical HDR guys or people winding up settings too much or listen to anyone with advice.

They all tell me how much better it is okay in that other thread .........then you go whining when you got to simply ALt-Tab once.

:)

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've never adjusted the settings in-game, but this build the devmode crashes when you adjust within it so I guess that's the same thing. So yeah, just use the configure sim in the launcher. If you use devmode copy the config.ini to your main rF2 folder, it seems to read it from there.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Please don't call folks names, even if you feel they play the part on purpose and you don't think you're being offensive, it's still not correct.

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It was proper question, nothing else. But maybe you could explain to me, how i can set resolution settings ingame without crashing rf2? If this is really a long well known bug...worthless. If this happen with an Indy Game wich cost 5$, OK. But rF2 is actual one of the expensiest racing games on the market. Thoose basic functions should expected to working. Please take this not as a personal offense, but as a customers complain.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If I asked someone "are you stupid?" as a serious question, you would not expect that to be taken offensively? Being a question makes absolutely no difference.

If rF2 crashes on your system ingame when changing resolution, please report it in the appropriate place if you haven't already, and change resolution out of game. No, I cannot explain it, I am not a programmer. But as an ongoing development, rF2 may have issues in various areas from time to time, and sporadic issues that don't affect anyone on our testing team, and aren't reported often by users, could be long-term, yes. Welcome to software development. :) What you said isn't offensive, but it should be expected occasionally, even if you choose not to.

As with any product you purchase, if it is set at a price above $5 that you are not comfortable, you have a choice not to purchase. You have a choice with rF2 to even change your mind within 7 days. But away from the price, we are a very small indie ourselves, publishing our own title with all the expenses that come along with development of a niche product with very small profit margins. Cost bears no relation to anything, except cost.

That basic function works absolutely fine here, and although I have seen sporadic reports of it, I certainly haven't seen many. If changing resolution in-game is something important to you in a game, please be aware that at any time we could simply remove that function anyway, as rF2 is an ongoing development, and resolution can be changed prior to launching, in the launcher. For now, I suggest doing that.

Do you often change resolutions in a game? What is the reason?

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

"Crashing completely" suggested to me it is a CTD or a freeze or something.

That is not what rF2 does when you change AA or HDR "from my experience" , it just goes black screen.

I think that was a fair enough assumption on my part, don't you. ?

If it goes black do as I first suggested. ( Alt+Tab, Open task manager, DO NOT CLOSE rF2.. then close task manager ) it comes out of black screen.

If it is CTD or freeze or something like that it is totally foreign to me, sorry if I misunderstand.

Not you in particular, I was making the point lots of people complain about quality and fps, they never stop changing settings so I could understand why it could be frustrating.

Find your sweet spot, use settings give you 10% more headroom in fps then you want and don't touch it again. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.