REPLACED Build 590 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Most detailed screen tearing thread was at 3DGuru when GPL was first out. :)

Mission impossible ?

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Single GPU cards don't have GFX power to run rFactor2 with triple screens without tearing, there is noway to get settings right, I have tested 780TI and Titan.

Yes, NVIDIA G-SYNC and what is next, maybe NVDIA G-SYNC PC? NVDIA is soon like Macintosh :mad:

Same price as two 780GTX has you can get four 290x cards and there is no tears,stutters etc. with four -way GrossFireX and if there is no fix from NVDIA soon, I may go for that. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha you didn't understand what I was saying. I was being sarcastic, hence the "Not" at the end.

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

What happened to Single card, triple screen 60hz ?

And isn't it acknowledged that two way SLI in rF2 pretty much doesn't work? Or actually performs worse than single card. It sure had a negative effect for me.

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I write: " Single card, triple screen 60-120hz, mission impossible."

This is what Joe Campana from ISI writes:
    "This is nonsense, guys. Our multiGPU performance is as good, or better, than anyone and has been for a while. I have tested it extensively and consistently get 90% GPU util on both GPUs, AMD and nVidia. On my test systems, AC multiGPU does not work worth a spit. pCars is OK, iRacing works very well. Perhaps you need to add some SLI bits with inspector, although I thought the current profile handled this fine. So, do not generalize your specific HW problem to rF2 overall, because it's just not the case."

As I wrote before I don't believe that all users knows what tearing, stutters etc is and it seems that you are one of those who don't know.

I have tested 780TI and Titan with single and triple screen and know from a fact that both cards have tearing when triple screen is used and if you are going to claim that you don't have tearing with you card, when triple screen, it is a lie.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

780 ti OC, 3x 1080p and typically 150-200fps with several cars on track. High to full details with AA Level 4 (that's MSAAx4).
    Tearing? Yes of course, but it's about how out of sync you are with fps. Anyway, single high end gpu is more than fine with typical triple screen setup.

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is April 10th not April first, you must be joking, 3x1080p with several cars on track, high to full details with AA Level 4, 150-200fps Titan,780TI or SLI is not playable at all.

1080P means 1920x1080 Progressive Scan. Which means all 1920x1080 pixels are updated in a single pass(Odd & Even Lines).
    1080P and 1080I have the same 1920x1080 pixels. The 1080P has better quality as the entire screen is updated at 60HZ.

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I tried all the magic SLI bits fixes I read about here in these forums. None of them helped. And though I am guilty of generalization in my statement "and isn't it acknowledged that..." I don't think I am alone in having never gotten SLI to significantly improve my frame rates. Regardless of the tear vs no-tear issue.

As admitted in a previous post I am ignorant of the difference in jerkiness and stuttering. Your apparently smarter than many in this regard. Can you put it into words that I can understand so I'll know true stuttering if I see it.

Tearing, I know exactly what that is. And I wasn't making a no-tear claim when I pointed out what I thought was a missing data point in your listing. But I must say I fall into the science camp that says if you have absolutely no tearing then you either have some kind of sync going on or you have not only perfectly matched your GPU frequency to your monitor frequency but also the timing of when a new frame is handed to the monitor. To do that every time one runs the game seems magical (impossible) to me.

P.S. Even though you misunderstood my post as to be claiming I get no tear, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I or someone who makes that claim is a lair. Perhaps you should ratchet down your rhetoric a notch.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll just jump in quickly here and say that unless I misunderstand what you said here, then no. I run in windowed mode and can flick between vsync or not just fine by using the rf config. FPS counter and tearing follows accordingly ;)

10. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

Oddly,

Upon playing online on a Karts server, my cars/tracks list within the game has been reduced to only Karts now despite the mod manager displaying everything in installed status. I am assuming it's needed to remove all cars and redownload them from ISI?

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Switch back to "All Cars and tracks" on the top of the screen.

12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

From over on RaceDepartment:

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No. you joined a server, it installed a vmod. When you return to offline racing rf2 will load the latest used/installed vmod.
    So if the server vmod is karts only and 2 layouts ony, your initial setup offline will be exactly that.

Just go to race settings and select allcarsandvehicles or select the vmond you where using offline.

This has to be done every time you went online. its kinda annoying but whatyagonnado.

Edit: Peterchen just explained it in way less sentences :/

14. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

I do appreciate the responses gentlemen, thank you.

Do resume the conversation of GPU tearing!

15. tking

tking Registered

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What OS and do you have aero disabled? I was under the impression that aero forced VSync. I've never seen tearing in window mode but I also don't disable aero.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Win7. Only very recently (last week or so) tried switching to a non-aero theme, before that was on the default and was the same.

*Oops... no, apparently it wasn't...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It's funny to read when I quote topic of Joe Campala from ISI and you have an argument that SLI does not work for you. Some in the community have issues setting up SLI , others in the community don't have a problem at all. 780GTX SLI outperforms GTX 780TI easy so simple is that like it or not.

PS. I have not misunderstood you post as to be claiming you get no tear, what I write is if you are going to claim, there is that magic word IF and it makes a huge difference. So it is perhaps you who should ratchet down your rhetoric a notch.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I was completely mistaken on this one. Been having performance issues with rF2 all along but turns out tearing wasn't one of them, until I switched aero off. And even now when looking for tearing it looks worse than I realised (had only been driving before, not sitting here watching things move around). Been running windowed mode for a long time and it certainly doesn't make rF2 think vsync is on (frame counter moves around with vsync off) but it appears that, yes, with aero on it basically gets synced anyway.

Still, on balance I think I'll race with aero off and put up with the tearing... it feels smoother than what I had before, even if it's ugly at times.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My post last so I'll add this... the vsync in windowed mode with aero on partly explains some interesting behaviour for me. Activating mirrors had a large effect on (uncapped) FPS, with both GPU cores seemingly limited to 50%. Without aero they both hit 80-90% and while there's still a 20% or so performance hit with mirrors (compared to 40-50% before) it's certainly much more useable than before.

I guess I was so focused on the stuttering I just completely forgot to look for (and therefore didn't notice the lack of) tearing. Until tearing hit me in the face just recently, and I forgot I was trying aero off.

Ironically that means I was part of the group without tearing despite not actually setting vsync ;)