REPLACED Build 590 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:D

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't know about that. Why do some games have tearing and some don't even at the same fps? Why do some drivers do a better job of eliminating tearing, and some drivers make the tearing worse? I can have all sorts of fluctuating fps in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and for some reason I never get tearing. There is more to it than just simply fps not equal to refresh rate = tearing.

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If you are a gamer yes, but if you are hard core simracer you like get it real and get as close 1:1 view as you can.

:cool:

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you can find out how a 60Hz monitor can be supplied at 90Hz and not tear, without dropping 30 of those frames every second (which, whether there's an invisible vsync mode or hardware that just basically does that because of how it works, would be equivalent to vsync), I'm sure a lot of very smart people would like to know.

5. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

agree with this I cant go back to single screen for racing (except for Oculus/Morpheus) so unless GT7 has Morpheus support ill never play it lol (by then I might go the 3 PS4s for triples if GT7 supports it like GT5/6)

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Seriously. It's like trying to fill a 1 gallon bucket with 5 gallons of water without anything spilling over the top. It just isn't possible. If you don't have tearing then something is doing some sort of sync. And from reading around it looks like AMD is doing something different when using DP. The monitor can only handle so many frames at a time. All those quotes pasted prove nothing. The fact still remains that a 60hz monitor is never going to be able to display more than 60fps. If you get the right Framerate you can move the tear line up and down and maybe into a less noticeable location. But it doesn't go away unless some sort of sync is involved or you can keep the game very close to the native 60fps.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok whatever you guys say :)

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

FYI the best method i've found to observe screen tearing is to use the FR3.5 and the home key camera that sits just behind and on the inside of the front right tyre. You can see the tearing pretty much all of the time on the sidewall of the tyre. You might have to change fov a bit depending what you run, with lower fov the tyre will take up more of your display from top to bottom. Using some 'look ahead' helps in addition to the tyre turning/moving which exposes the tearing. Great way to test fps caps, make very small changes and observe easily. Slow moving tears are so easy to watch, but also the sudden appearance and disappearance of tears I get with adaptive sync when fps drops quite a bit under 120 are very obvious.

...and yes, I know, the ultimate test is how your driving experience is, but the above makes tweaking and testing very quick and efficient with blatant visual results from the many possible setting combinations we have at our disposal.

I also just realised I shouldn't have a cap on fps when using adaptive sync, it was giving me a slow moving tear the same as I would have without adaptive on(120hz/120max fps). Most of the time in a race I didn't see it, but at regular intervals it was moving across my focal point and was very distracting. Took the cap away and no more tearing with adaptive unless there are significant drops in fps.

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I set my 'Max Framerate="59.94000"' in my plr file. My monitor is 59.94hz, not 60, I'm sure a lot of your monitors are too. With frame rate set at 59.94 the tear stays in the same place on the screen, with 60.00 the tear moves from the bottom of the screen to the top very slowly which as bad. ~Bad because when the tear crosses your eye view you get a sort of stutter as you seeing old and new frames at the same time. This 59.94 works best for me. You still see the tear, but gives me a more smooth stutter free game.

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Yeah i've started to work towards the exact fps that will give a static tear with my monitor(VG278HE). Goes up, goes down, getting closer!

Though is there a chance that you can get stuck with the tear right in line with your focal point? I'm not sure if it's worth anything to me in terms of input lag against using adaptive sync.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I set 120 in rF2 or -120 in rF1 based sims and my tear point is always almost across the vertical centre of my screen where I'm looking. Terrible. Thanks for the tip though I'm going to mess with decimal fps. When I switched to NVidia it says 59.xx and 119.xx Hz instead of 60 and 120 Hz, same monitor though, weird.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Doesn't pre-rendered frames and hardware have a lot to do with it.

I run "windowed mode full screen" and get no tearing I can see or notice, told everyone here that for 2 years but not many seemed to try or relayed results.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Borderless_fullscreen_windowed

Key points
    Advantage Fast, seamless task switching with no risk of crashes or freezes with no performance costs.
    Advantage Eliminates screen tearing.

NOTE
    Disadvantage AMD/ATI cards do not support Crossfire in this mode.
    Disadvantage Most games will have problems with edge scrolling on multi-monitor setups.

I concur.

As for edge scrolling rF2 does not have this issue.

Also seem to see more ATi threads related to tearing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Then Triple cards and 3 x 4K lol ;)

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Apparently to some people in this thread screen-tearing is impossible to get rid of or not experience, and happens to every single person on every single monitor using every single kind of video card while playing every single kind of video game, unless you have VSync on. And if you don't have VSync on, but still don't experience tearing then you must have some hidden GPU manufacturer implemented background VSync on, as it's a simple matter of pure physics. There is nothing else to it. Monitor clock timings, cable clock timings, other complex electronics, not to mention our very own eyes and personal experiences as well, do not matter because it is a simple matter of physics and that's it, end of story....

NOT.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't get what you say man, all I said is I do not notice any tearing

I never said I have never seen tearing, i could make some if you want. :)

Get yourself a new G-SYNC comp. monitor :) So much for physics.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Because the desktop runs VSync. So if you run in windowed mode you inherit the VSync regardless of the setting in rf config.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No one said it is impossible to not have tear. We said it's impossible to feed a 60hz monitor more than 60fps and not get tear.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Damn, never knew this. and here I was thinking turning off vsync made a difference :/

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Lets make it simple.

Single card, single monitor 60hz, 58- 61 fps, no tear.
    Single card, sinlge monitor 120hz, 118 - 121 fps, no tear.
    Single card, triple screen 60-120hz, mission impossible.
    Two-way SLI, triple screen, 60 hz, 58 -61 fps, no tear.
    Two-way SLI, triple screen, 120 hz, 118- 121 fps, no tear.

No tear in rFactor2 has a simple rule and that is: Never let you fps drop more then -3 fps.

Simple isn't it :confused:

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So I am still getting 160fps in Fraps baby bum smooth ( not stressful ie: ...Kyalami and 8 cars ) it is actually synced ........ ?

I can live with that ? lol :)

I tried adjusting for 60 fps maximum ages ago I must do something wrong, I have another go.