Build 590 port conflicts with multiple server instances and possible bug?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by matte3560, Apr 9, 2014.

1. matte3560

matte3560 Registered

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a pair of servers going, and I'm having problems with the ports conflicting. I'm running the first server on the default ports (54297 sim/64297 http) and the second server one port higher (so thats 54298 sim/64298 http). According to what I've been reading, only the ports specified in the config will be used, but I'm getting this error message:
    [​IMG]
    I have separate profiles with separate folders for both servers. I launch them through the launcher.

After playing around with this for a while, I've noticed that the port the server actually starts on is all down to the profile that is already selected when I press the host button in the launcher. If the profile for server one is loaded, I get the ports for server one, even if I change the profile. The pre-selected profile is always the one that last ran and actually started. If I get the port error, the pre-selected profile does not change. What this means is that when I launch my first server, the second one attempts to start on the same port as the first one. It's really strange, because the correct profile appears to be loaded, even when the port is incorrect. If I launch server two, exit, and then launch server one, I get the port from server two with all other settings from server one (as far as I can tell) including the mod.

I can actually get both servers to start, by first launching one of the servers, exiting it, and then launching the other one. I then launch the server I first started. What then happens is even more messed up. If I join server one in the server browser, I download the mod for server one, and then end up actually connecting to server two. If I have not previously connected to server two, I get kicked out, because I the mod I just downloaded is not correct for this server. The same happens when I connect to server two in the server browser. I download the correct mod, and proceed to connect to the wrong server. If I actually have the mod for the server I end up connecting to, I can play normally.

I've also tried launching the servers directly with shortcuts. On server one I used:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=.. +profile=howston +oneclick
    On server two I used:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=.. +profile=f1karts +oneclick

The profile names are both correct, but they are not loaded. Whatever profile last ran is what the server starts with. Launching without the oneclick option gives the same issue that I had with the launcher. Removing the profile option does literally nothing. I've also tried playing with the port option that apparently exists, but that did nothing.

As a sidenote, documentation on command line parameters and launching directly is downright awful. There is no official writeup anywhere from what I can tell (google gave me nothing). I have no idea what parameters are available, and the ones I now know about I more or less had to figure out myself, or by using google.

I'm not sure if it really matters, but I'm trying to set this up in a virtualized install of Windows Server 2012 R2 (VMware ESXi 5.5 hypervisor). All other VMs on this box are running fine, so the problem would have to be within the OS itself. I created a separate user for rfactor, so I'm not running as admin. I have checked to make sure the server executable is allowed through the firewall.

When I'm running a single server, everything works fine. I can connect, other people can connect, everything works as expected. I really have no idea what the hell is going on here. Something seems to be broken. I don't know if I messed up, or if something is bugged.

What do I do guys?

2. matte3560

matte3560 Registered

I realize I have posted this on the wrong section. Could a mod please move it to the hosting subforum?

3. UlrichBlanke

UlrichBlanke Registered

did you try to make the different between the ports greater?

ie:

Server 1 54297 sim / 64297 http
    Server 2 54397 sim / 64397 http

4. endonesia

endonesia Registered

This is not new.

Make another install for each server instance, set the packages directory, set new .plr correctly, and it will work.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

6. matte3560

matte3560 Registered

Thanks, that seems to be working. Seems a bit inconsistent that the path command uses = and doesn't need quotes, while the profile command uses a space and does need quotes. It's no wonder people get confused. It's also a bit sad that the launcher is broken, but I guess most people that run more than one server don't use it anyway.