"Bug" in 3DS Max Exporter or Shaders?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by redapg, Oct 25, 2020.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

I'm using 3DS Max 2012 64 bit for Modelling.
    Since the last Update of the Game, i have a "Bug", that wasn't there before.
    It did appear like this:
    At the first Export, after the Game was updated, i still used the Exporter from before the Update, which worked properly before.
    But after the Update, i've got the below Message from some Files, that could be exported without any Problems before:
    _Warning_rF2_Exporter.jpg
    I did make some Tests and it could be fixed by Remapping the Mesh.
    Then i thought it maybe has to do with new Shaders, that require to also use the new Exporter, that came with the latest Update.
    But with that new Exporter, 3DS Max just crashes in the Middle of the Exporting Process, without any Message.
    And it was the same Mesh that i had fixed and exported before, like written above.
    @Marcel Offermans and @Alex Sawczuk Is that a known Bug that will be fixed soon?
    Or can i get some Information, about a possible Reason for the Exporter crashing 3DS Max?
    BTW Would it be possible, to give the Exporter another Number for each new Version?
    That would give a much better Overview.

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The warning message is telling you that the exporter encountered questionable triangulation or uvw, and it had issues creating tangents from them.

About the crash I don't know right now. We have not had any issues in 2021 at least. Perhaps you did not setup the material correctly? If it exports OK with a different material, that would be my recommendation for now, and then to change the material in the Material Editor.

3. Alex Sawczuk

If the old plugins worked, perhaps just reinstall them. You can grab them by switching to an old build in Steam.

We are likely to deprecate the 2012 plugins soon - Autodesk does not even allow people with valid subscriptions to download it or the sdk anymore. (They would not be updated anymore)

redapg likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

Thanks for the Info, so we'll have to switch to Max 2017 or 2021, to get proper working Plugins as it seems.
    I have Backups from 7 former 2012 64 bit Exporter Versions, so it's no Problem to use an older one.

5. Alex Sawczuk

Even 2017 we can not legally obtain with a subscription anymore. Autodesk removed it from the system. So going forward 2021 is likely to only be maintained further.

Obviously it is still on our road map to migrate to a complete FBX Importer pipeline, which will be software independent. But I have no timeline on that at present.

lagg and Mauro like this.
  6. TTM

TTM Registered

I was a little surprised that support for gjed ended sometime ago, because it was great tool with .fbx support. Hopefully we can see same kind of tool in the future...

I also got same kind of warning message with 2017 version, but i can’t remember how i fixed mesh. ..but i don’t use 2017 version anymore, so....