Bug causing big performance issue for a part of RF2 users + old stuttering issue still there ;)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Dec 31, 2017.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

This. People going "I get X fps in AC on Nords with 300AI and ultra super-turbo-flipflop graphics settings so I should run rFactor 2!

It's like saying "I can run Minecraft maxed out, so why the hell can't I run Fallout 4!?"

AC is more GPU intensive and has an okay (but not as advanced) physics engine. Rf2 has a sophisticated physics engine so needs processing power to do all the maths needed to give you what you feel.

Since I'm running full F1/V8 Supercar grids and recording on an FX6300, 1050ti, 8GB RAM and getting a nice locked 60fps with some CPU headroom left over for trackhat and crewchief in DX11, shows you don't need the computer from the USS Enterprise to run it. That said, running that same V8 Supercar grid of 25 AI does NOT give me 60fps in AC.

The Flight Simulator community is going up the same route. The modders have outgrown the minimum spec requirements as the years have gone by. If you look at the minimum requirements (or even the recommended) requirements of the base sim and any of the addons that have been released in the last few years, there is NO WAY you will run the sim on the minimum required rig. Take RF2's minimum requirements on release:

CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
    Memory: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia 8600 GT or ATI/AMD 3850
    Video Memory: 256MB
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Storage: 4 GB

... And now...

• Minimum:
      • Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: nVidia GTS 450 or AMD Radeon 5750
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection
      • Storage: 30 GB available space
      • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Five years ago. Thing with computers is that video card would have been out of date in a week.

The sim needs optimising, we get that (and the devs are looking at it from other threads I've read). But what's doing my head in is all the 'Marcel! Marcel! It's still broken! Why haven't you fixed it after my last post thirty minutes ago?!' posts that seem to pop up daily. They'll get there; we've just got to be patient as it's not an overnight fix (as they've got to fix all ISI's issues) and going 'this is unacceptable!' isn't going to help it get resolved any faster.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018