Brands Hatch GP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul Knapp, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Many thanks Andy!

2. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Over 25 people downloaded and drove my Brands Hatch conversion with URD Bayro last night online.

Every single one of them, across all brands of wheels did NOT have a problem with the track surface. I specifically asked all of them... No issues. Not one. The feeling I get there through the wheel is fantastic, I wish it was the same for those who complained here.

I think it comes down to the mod and the wheel settings. If you don't want to run ffb smoothing.. well, then yes, you will get rattling, yes it is because of the low res mesh. lol There's a reason that smoothing is there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  3. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Smoothing for low res mesh ha ha

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

thats a great track, road surface feels very alive, bumpy and real - I am using G27 !
    only thing I would like to enhance is AI. They are around 10 seconds off at 100%

5. hangon

hangon Registered

I thought the track was great...I just appreciate the time and effort some individuals take to do these....at least we have a decent brands hatch and until someone goes and laser scans one lets race and enjoy

6. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

endonesia, you see we are not alone in thinking your track is good! :)

Only one urgency (for offline play) : speed the AIs!

7. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

No FFB issues here, seems just like any other track. The elevation change at McLaren feels a little steep compared to real-life, but apart from that, great job! Thank you for finally making a decent Brands for us to drive on :)

8. endonesia

endonesia Registered

I've had to run smoothing from the start with rF2 or else I got very unpleasant ffb jackhammering, especially with ISI open wheel mods and tracks. Shrug.

But hey, I hope to improve the AI very soon. Just need to learn better the process. :)

9. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Shouldn't anymore since build 770

10. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

As one of the many participants online Wednesday night, I have to say bumpiness did not even enter my mind from the time I downloaded the mod earlier in the week to reading this thread. As conversions go, this exceeds the grand majority and some scratch builds. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with comments on the AI...don't practice with them or you'll be wishing for animated fisticuffs in the pits to release your frustrations (repeatedly tap F to beat up UI driver [name])! I should put that in the Wish List thread anyway.:p

11. endonesia

endonesia Registered

I don't know, you guys tell me. This is Brands mesh -

[​IMG]

and this is Lasercutter's Snetterton -

[​IMG]

I don't really see much difference between the two, can someone explain better for me? Does that extra block in the width of the track add that much to the feeling of the wheel?

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm not claiming to be an expert at all, but there seems to be some difference regarding ffb feel.

I get the grinding feeling going through a corner very fast, T1 for example.

But hey, I'm just picky. If that's how the track is, that's how it is. I'm not going to be cheat myself from the enjoyment I could get with it online.

I'm just hoping for AI improvements so I can use it offline too. All in your time and with your priorities of course.

Thanks for a cool track.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That mesh can still be bumpy as heck, amount of triangles used isn't always the issue. See my example from the Nords' topic last year:

Looks fine right? Take a closer look from another angle, this is potentially a rough surface to be driving on:
    [​IMG]

Difference between using meshsmooth vs tesselation, adding triangles without them doing anything etc.
    [​IMG]

More triangles doesn't mean it's automatically smoother, I can chuck a million triangles into a box primitive, it still won't make it a smooth sphere all of a sudden.
    Remember kids, it's not about how big it is, it's what you do with it... wait what?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Is DTM Brands Hatch 0.7 best version out there? If so, I'm not impressed. I guess this is one of those tracks everybody wants at any cost :p It has very rough surface for my T500 without any smoothing (smoothing level 8 made it somehow drivable). Ok layout.

15. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Hey, thanks for the input wgeuze!

Well, since ISI is playing it cool,
    This is what we're discussing..

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks for the link...so I was speaking of the wrong version, sorry. The one I now recieved is much better. It's pretty rough in T1 but on acceptable level still (smoothing 0). Visually it's also pretty decent. AI is slow so no use in offline other than practice.

I also found Road America from my tracks. That was pretty good quality and fun to drive... I guess it's illegal too?

COTA was also pretty decent (not much surroundings but the surface was ok and accuracy was ok too I guess).

I just realized how much good tracks we have in rf2...granted that some of them are more or less hidden.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

We have tons and tons of good tracks, that's true.
    I just counted the ones I have installed right now (after a very recent clean-out)...

That's right. forty... eight... tracks.
    No rather 48 locations, because a whole bunch of those have 2, 3 maybe even 5 different layouts.

That's ISI and 3rd party tracks combined, and it's only ONLY the ones I consider top notch or very high quality (visuals + "finished" surface + real road + fully working AI etc.)
    If I were any less of a obsessive nit picker I could have, like, 90 or so tracks installed. ;)

So yeah... We are very, very spoiled that's for damn sure.
    People who whine about lack of content... Uhm, I don't really know what to say, to be honest.
    Get real... Or something, lol. ;)

18. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Checked now ... atm i have 177 third parts addon locations in Packages.

I dont think i am a "compulsive track addict", but i have room in my HDD and having a nice track collection is a plus for several reasons.

BTW, i have no complaints at all about Brands Hatch ... it is a great track and i think that having a decent rendition of the track in rF2 is a good thing ... thanks to the converter. :)

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I've been basically installing all the tracks, and then keeping all that are decent enough, just because it might come handy when you try to enter a server.

20. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

I would love to see a list of tracks with good AI, proper mesh poly density, real road implemented and no distracting visual problems.