'Bout had it with this AI...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Well, The AI car WAS behind me at corner entry...

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

When ai get any tow from you and have less then a car width gap they will still brake later and try to run up inside.

All you need do is take their line earlier they will slightly hesitate then you start deep braking.

Once they are on your line they not going to hit you.

You are washing across their draft so they get confused and accelerate more before they realize it is too late.

I have seen F3 totally lock up and take the grass at Parabolica then leap across the gutter into the sand on the other side. I can even force Ai into doing it to themselves.

This is all because I took good tow of them and they take it back off me too late.

My method is simply to take their line and slow them, or give them space let them go and tow them back next lap, we are talking about Historics yes ?
    Any historic you can slip stream again in a instant.

How many times in real races have you seen a car suddenly pull across into another's path, they crash and the driver says he never saw the other car ? It is part of racing.

[​IMG]

Perfect Ai should be a fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  3. FauxPo

FauxPo Registered

-EDIT-
    I had an old version of the F3 Eve mod in comments below....

I just tried this "type 2 learning" with the F3 Eve at Brianza 1666. The curb hopping was mostly cured for races at 100% difficulty, but that's too slow - I'm at the front by lap 3 (24 AI starting last). For racing at 120%, they were certainly still hopping over the curbs and I couldn't really see any difference from before. I even tried 're-learning' them at 120%, but no difference. They're still bouncing off apexes into each other and half the time if I avoid it, there's a full course yellow (which never ends) because they've hit each other. At one point, I ended up with one on top of me and drove about for a while. :) Also saw one burst into flames in front of me. Although a little alarming that the driver is sitting there engulfed in flames. I might need therapy. Anyone who says they've never been taken out around this track at 120% is playing a different game to me.

When they sweep in front of you on the straight, it can be just as you're starting to overlap. Particularly at the barrier at the end of the grid straight, I'm sure they're trying to swipe you into it! They got me the first time. You can back off or feint but it's a bit silly.

At the left-hander leading on to the Parabolica, they often sweep wide and if you're outside even right up against the grass, their wheels come inside yours, so nowhere for you to go. That's not good enough for AI imo. You've left them all the room there is, and they've no physics need to go out that far.

When you're on the inside, you often need to have your inside front wheel pressed up against the curb or they drive across you like you're not there, they don't leave enough room.

Some of this would make sense at high aggression but no low.

Btw, the AI are being disqualified for 4 laps of quali here. Have I got some setting wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  4. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I also wrote in another thread of the same problems with AI. I completed AI step 2 learning. Tracks LRP NO CHIC, MId Ohio NO Chic, Bathhurst, Sao Paulo, Sebring full course, with Skippy, Flat 6, ISI Camaro. AI racing at 20% aggression. All have the same result with 110%AI ability of jus like OP describes what happens. My lap time is within 0.5 second of fastest AI. When I race by acceptable racing rules and etiquette they are just IMPOSSIBLE. No regulation for no pass unless at B pillar, no respect for car infront just total ignorance of its presence.

I read in both my thread and this one how others are having good experience with AI, I just don't get the same. I understand what Durge explains but to me that is unnatural and not how you would normally race.

IMO like Lazza identifies once above 100% things just are not right. 100% should be the best possible.

I continue to try against AI with various tweaks but it is very frustrating for me and definitely others.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

For qual set unlimited laps.
    10 minute qual at Italy you get 4 timed laps in you fast enough getting out or do 2 one lap runs.

Like I said yes ai can take you out at 120% easy.

The more cars you have around the more effect is concertina.

At 120% you can let them go at Start and just tow for a lap close.

Naturally lap 1 at Curva Grande, Lesmos and Parabolica they will be slower.

Tow them from Parabolica and plan passes, don't go for max amount of cars Lap 2

Settle again get close into Lesmos 2 and tow the next few

If you want to run wheel to wheel 3 wide out of tow down to turns something will give.

Realife, 1966 if you gave drivers the same cars and told them to push as hard as they can there would be grief.

Any race back then there always incidents and crashes, why do people expect perfect Ai

Lemans and Spa 24 Hour are wrecking grounds.

At Belgium in 1966 7 cars retired from accidents ie: unforced errors.

Tell me when does that happen in rF2 ? ;)

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Try using rear view into a braking area make sure you are in front of the ai not moving across onto their line.

The other thing is so easy to do is shake their tow by letting them get close up then move the same line they will try to pass you on.
    They will instantly slow a bit giving you the extra gap you need to brake clean. the next turn.

Just remember not to drag ai in your best tow to next corner or you asking for trouble.

Belgium at 120% you just have to leave room at all turns when you have a large group in front.

Lap 1 when they close they can crash easy at both chicanes and Stavelot so just give them room.

After Lap 1 you rarely see a car crash there again.

Italy, Belgium at 120% you can give them a 10 second start, still catch and pass in tow once cars have spread out nicely.

Need separate forum with separate threads for each cars, flaws and tips.

Not how you would drive ?

Real life you see drivers brake test, take other drivers lines, dive bomb, all sorts of stuff
    and a lot of accidents look every bit as silly as rF2 Ai lol ;)

If you want rF2 ai to be perfect so any mistake you make they do not hit you, or they never make a mistake is just pure fantasyland.

P.S. take into account F3 is least powerful car , the more power the more the effects multiply.

Try 120% F3 at Italy once you can do that try another car and start learning process all over. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hey mate get into rookies right now

we do 120% with 30 Ai ....... or how ever many your PC can handle

We had 2 races this morning but my desk and chair were all bent up
    and I make unforced error.

The 2 races we had FR went from last to lead and in both races on the last lap he went 4 wide into Parabolica offline

Then only just had the ai tap him in the rear, both times he spun out of race.

IF he had been aware they may do this and he was ready with his brake pedal........ he could have easy kept his car straight

In both races he gave up positions to Ai under braking a few times and simply towed them back.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think that's an important distinction. It's easy to see every incident as an AI failing when it could just be a somewhat realistic level of driving mistakes (playing online you might call a person careless, or a *******, but AI you tend to look at the same sort of incident as a programming fault).

Of course that's very separate to cars continually driving over kerbs, or bashing into walls and turning it into pinball (pincar?) lap after lap.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Like look H

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From last to first in 2 laps and pulling a gap by keeping them out of my tow.

Destroyed them at 120% " can't race with them bull dust" lol

BUT IF I make one tiny error its all over red rover they will be on me in a heartbeart !
    Then I let a few past relax gather myself up and tow em again............ assuming I am not in a paddock that is . lol

But I rather take 5 /6 laps to get to lead relax do it bit by bit.

In the end on last lap you wait and let 2 past to tow again before Parabolica , all good practice.

Not like that is not doing it proper, I not going to win a medal either way am I ? lool

P.S.

lol , look at pics typical Boxer and Dalek.

Like 2 dogs chasing a bone , they never give up.

looool

;)

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

To be totally honest I don't even even think of them as Ai anymore since the Community Pack.

To me they are real drivers and I treat them like that.

lmao Funny the individual drivers too, like Ernie can sometimes be a total maniac, I always give him a wide berth. lol

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I always try to treat AI drivers like I would treat human drivers too.
    It makes for much more enjoyable racing, far fewer accidents, and when I make the jump to a server I don't need to adapt that much.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How do you make replays work ? All I can get this to do is resume. ?

Here is good race with real road and setups ( you want the F3 Community pack installed )

https://mega.nz/#!ih42TL5I!LoHMXonbMDdL9KTeB7Ha4mK90e4kQrYNgYnNC8N5Dj8

29 Ai quallied at 1:47.9 - 1:49.2

Watch how I slow a number of times for ai, how I use inside lines they can do nothing.

Watch how one Lesmos I get dive bombed but see it coming and react.

Watch how I lock wheels with Ai 3 times and don't panic

Watch how many tiny gaps I thread.

Watch how I let ai know I am right beside them inches away and make them go the long way around.

You see I put in a best pass and tow lap of 1:47.4 :p lol

You need the community pack

P.S. and you barely see a ai " straddling gutters at lesmos" as suggested earlier, the one that dived bombed me ( Mat or Bwana i think ) did

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  14. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble racing the AI. I understand what y'all are saying, even humans make idiotic moves sometimes, but if it's EVERY SINGLE CORNER LAP AFTER LAP and they can never learn from the same mistake, that's not human like at all.

I hate to come through the downhill at LRP and the guy in front hits the curb and goes flying into the trees (I hit the same curb and go nowhere???)
    So there are definately a lot of issues.

People who said "BS" to my last comment, I have raced LOADS of AI races in rF1, GTR2, GTR, GTL, Race 07, Papyrus NR1-2-3-1999-4-2002-2003, GPL, EA F1, CM F1, Forza, Gran Turismo, and I've NEVER had a problem.

So what other conclusion can I possible come to other than rF2 AI is broken??

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ever considered starting a blog?

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

The all or nothing approach eh...go write for PRC Pearce ;)

The rF2 AI is not "broken". We get it, you really want to drive home your points. Exaggeration is often used on any forum lol. No issues with any AI in AAALLLL those titles? Because I've had a few.

What it appears to be based on your LRP examples is that the track needs an update, one covering the AIW. Sao Paulo too.
    Because while you say that every single corner on every track is where they turn to crap, I find myself having great close races with them over and over...but not at LRP.

If the AI started a race in reverse, and didn't try to slow for corners, that would be broken. They don't work.
    As it stands, they still need work (everything will always need constant improvement), but the work involved is finetuning. "Oh, they are clipping this corner here too hard when the speed is turned up way high, their line isn't quite perfect here", etc.

Now, that could set you off on a "why didn't they already do that then?!?" rant...but hey...

17. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Durge replay is version 1.08 where can I get that F3 rookies version. Server not visible.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

A thousand times THIS! The number of times I've seen people whine about AI issues when in actual fact it was THEIRdriving in the video that caused the incident, or the very fact that the AI had a crash that resembled something that happens in real life.
    Pearce (and his broken record) posted a video months ago with a similar rant about the AI but then he was proven to be wrong time and time again, now here he is again banging on about the same AI,and that video he posted on the other page....yeah because first corner divebomb smashes NEVER happen in real life do they :rolleyes:

I just hope (and sorta know) that ISI won't pander to the few and dumb down the AI as it's quite clear most of us can respect them for what they are, as they are they are the best in the business. Sure they need to be tweaked here or improved there as every aspect of a racing sim (in general not just RF2) does, but if you want perfect AI then you want an unrealistic world of racing and that is NOT what RF2 should become.

19. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

I don't believe anyone will stop you reprogramming the AI paths in whatever track and cars you're running as you seemingly don't drive multiplayer online much. Then they will drive lines more to your liking I believe, Pearce. Some people do actually do that and be productive rather than constantly critical of all and sundry. I do enjoy some of the discussion you raise, but in this case, its not unthinkable for you to fix the issue yourself on the tracks affected. I do believe there are forum articles on exactly that topic.

You could, as Lazza suggests write a blog about your experiences doing so. That, I would definitely want to read.

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, I write it once again:
    If AI is "broken" it´s propably time for a fresh install of rF2. Experienced some times that a screwed-up install is firstly noticable by "broken" AI,
    going over corridors and such.

"Autocalibrate AI Mode":2, ------> should always be on "2"!!!!
    "AI Power Calibration":7,
    "Auto Line Smoothing":7,

That are the recommended settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.