Bonnet / TV Cockpit Cameras

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Sam Moss, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Could you please revert to the rF1 method and have bonnet cameras in the middle of the car rather than on the left/right side. It was much better before and since we can no longer edit .cam files ourselves seen as you packed everything up in a mas file we're stuck using weird camera views.

RealGT likes this.
  2. sg333

sg333 Registered

+1000. I dont know where this trend of offset bonnet cam started, but its awful and unuseable. The Megane initially had a centered bonnet cam, but thats offset now in the new builds. Every single mod and any game or sim I have played prior to RF2 had them centered, so I dont know why they changed it.

And yes, one of the "features" of RF2 is the reduced ability to customise it, so you cant even edit these cams yourself.

3. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

This "awful" trend is from real life! It's extremelly rare to see a TV footage with a completely centered camera.

And the ability to change the cam file will probably come with Gold release. The same way we got by now a lot of other things locked. Just be patience.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

I have never seen a bonnet cam in TV coverage, but for example, roof cameras, single seater onboard cameras etc all tend to be centered (ala NASCAR, V8SC, IndyCar etc).

The reason I personally drive off a bonnet cam is having a wheel infront of me, gearstick etc, so dont need to see the virtual cockpit , and assume the monitor/TV is the windshield, hence you are looking "out" of it, and over the bonnet. I always found this much more preferential to my racing.

edit: Seeing as editing the rfmod files causes catastrophe with the new system, I dont think this will ever be possible to edit them yourself.

5. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

But then TV Cockpit should be a seperate CAM type inside the car just as Race07 has a TV Cockpit camera inside the car as well as Bonnet camera in the centre of the bonnet :)

It would be a shame if CAM files are locked into the .MAS files for final release as some rFactor mods came with terrible cam files but once you altered them to a position that suited you it felt much better to drive.

Especially on open wheelers to have a camera on the air intake is realistic cause some people mount GoPro's in that position.

6. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Well, I always see roof cameras at least a little shifted to the side. But that's not the point. I agreed there's should be ways to edit it. And highly believe it will be possible on final version.

7. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Come on guys this is meant to be a sim, the only cam we need for driving is cockpit or helmet cam, period :)

8. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Then they should remove bonnet cam, bumper cam, swingman etc ;)

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

I would settle for a *proper* cockpit view then :)

Meaning, i am in a chair, holding a steering wheel and gear stick so i shouldnt be looking at.... a pair of arms holding a steering wheel and gearstick. I should be looking at, at most, the top of the dashboard and have a clear, wide view over the bonnet.

If you want to be picky... ;)

Edit: on a serious note, the cockpit FOV settings are way off reality right now. Move the seat position to where a real person would be sitting and it cuts off at the A-pillar, and somewhere in the center of the internal mirror. If you are sitting in a real car - any car - the natural field of vision you have without even turning is much, much wider, and you very easily have the entire of the front of the vehicle and most of the interior in your view. The settings for all tin-tops would need to be much, much wider, and hopefully this will be user-configurable.

It also doesnt help that it gives no sense of speed at present.

edit 2: I posted before, but the ISI guys should look at how this is done in pCARS. You can set any view exactly as you like, with any parameters imaginable. SMS really did nail that part.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Bonnet view would be good or closed top cars, for those of us that have custom cockpits etc

RealGT likes this.
  11. Munchk1n

Munchk1n Registered

I Agree, This is what cockpit view is for, for those of us who do not have 3 screens, but just a single display, the TV cockpit is better to drive with due to the better visibility from smaller monitors/single displays, and the feel is still better because you still feel the weight of the car from the cockpit position. Lets Hope that this can at least be adjusted in a future build. I must say, the Live for speed camera adjustment is great because you can completely adjust all your views.

While I agree that true sim racing should be cockpit view only, but I fell less claustrophobic and find that I have better awareness and vision from TV cockpit because I just get to see more. Perhaps one day when I get 3 monitors, I will switch to cockpit, but for now, TV cockpit is better for me and those racing around with me. I would hate to ram another player because I simply didn't see them.

In a previous league I was in, many people would switch to external views when another car was close by, and this was to help avoid collisions.

So basically because this is a game, I have to remove some of the realism portrayed by the cockpit view in order to have a better racing experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012