Blurred rim tutorial?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Coutie, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Anyone have a tutorial on how to do this? Is it just a texture animation on the rim material?

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Yes, just rotational blur texture animation, but on its own material. Stick a flat plane in there to apply material to.

3. Coutie

So I can't use a 3d rim for low speeds? Or will it disappear?

4. lordpantsington

You should use a 3d rim in addition to the blur animation object. At low speeds the amount of blur should be small, and if I recall correctly have a variation in transparency.

5. Coutie

If I have both, it would look strange to have them going at the same time, so how do I turn the 3d rim off? I was thinking(haven't had a chance to test this, maybe tomorrow) that I would set the same amount of frames for the rim and the blurred rim, maybe four, and have the first stage of the blurred rim be completely transparent, then 1,2,3 would be their normal look, and the exact opposite for the 3d rim. Is this the correct way to do it?

6. lordpantsington

It won't look odd if done correctly. Here is an old wip screen cap of what it looks like. Note: I hadn't adjusted the blur's texture to match the gold color of the rim yet. Coincidentally that helps now, as you can more easily distinguish between the blur object and the 3d mesh. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img847/6319/grab003h.jpg

The number of frames I used was 3 [0,1,2] and the only thing that varied between them is the alpha channel. 0 made the blur completely transparent, 1 was for lower speeds, 2 for higher.

FYI: Fuji is a track with fantastic cameras to look at wheels/tires (or at least it was in rf1).

7. Coutie

8. lordpantsington

What are the original source pages for those images? I'm looking for an image that shows thickness on the 'spoke' of a rim (at rest).
    Specifically what new ISI car?
    Still looks like its just texture animation.

9. Some1

Some1 Registered

Hi! You can turn off the 3d spokes, if you apply a 2 frame animation to the spokes, and the material should use chroma color. So, the first frame would be a normal 3d spokes texture, while the second one is all black (or whatever the chroma color is set to, but black seems to work best).

My Corvette, Supra and NSX use this method.

10. Coutie

Ok. I was testing last night using the method I talked about in post #5, but I was using alpha channels and I wasn't having any luck. I'll give chroma colours a shot now.

11. lordpantsington

Seems like you've got it now, that is where I was going with my line of questioning in post #8. In rf1 it was not uncommon for people to just have a face for their 'spoke' mesh whose texture is then animated. If there is 3D thickness at rest, like in my wip photo, then the spokes must also have texture animation.

12. Coutie

Yes, that's how I've done it. I'm pretty much making two rims, and hiding one(the 3d one), then showing the other(the blurred one).

13. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

the easiest way is to get your original 3d rim, clone it and on the new rim,remove the inner part of the wheel leaving you a blank 3d rim with no spokes.

Next, create a face for the inner part of the rim, a circle, if it's a straight face spoke rim it's fine as it is, if it's a rim with curved spokes arcing into the hub centre then you will need to create some loops on the circle and adjust it to reproduce the contour to match. Make sure the mapping is as needed.

Make your blur rim textures, and make sure both diffuse and alpha are blurred, using 3 texture stages like you would normally, (0,1,2). Do all rims.

Now you have 2 sets of rims for the car, the 3d rim gmt and the 3d blur rim gmt for each corner, set the 3d rim to lod in from 0 and out as you want(normally set up and adjusted and checked ingame, it will be very low), set the 3d blur rim in from where you decide and out at your highest lod out.

If your only using 1 texture like normal(wcrims) then there will be blur bleed a little bit on the 3d rim due to the blur texture animation but nothing really noticeable in real situations.

You could avoid that altogether if you were prepared to use 2 textures, wcrims for the 3d rim and using wcextra for the 3d blur rim, but that would then mean anyone wanting to paint rims would have to do 2 textures. A small price to pay really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014