Blending, texture "overrule"

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Bjørn, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hello everyone I'm having some trouble with a texture/gmt (carbody) being BEHIND another texture/gmt (red light flare) yet it "shines through" or overrules the texture in front of it

On the carbody, the object behind I've played around with colour/transparance > blending settings (source blend, dest blend and blend result) and I've kind of lost hope with my lack of knowledge...

Can anyone point me in the right direction or spare a few tips? :)
    [​IMG]

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If you are talking about two different alpha transparent materials overlapping, you need to set the alpha sorting correctly (higher value, higher priority) - or they will fight for "being on top".

But not sure I understood correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hey Tomas, thanks for replying...

The flare I think has to be set to glow
    [​IMG]
    so I don't reckon that's changeable, so it has to be the body that has to blend "less aggresively", right?
    [​IMG]

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You need to explain what 'body' covers, same for 'glow', which shaders you are using and what you seak to achieve.

To be clear, 3dsimed does not support custom shaders. I see no good use for the original flare shader.

It looks like rear/brake light, so don't understand the 'body' part ?

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah sorry for calling it body, it is rear brake lights, but they were on the body so I went to call it body :)

The body/rear brake light is using T1 shader... I changed it T1 from bump specular map T1 hoping it might help avoiding the ghosting through the brake light flare... Didn't change anything though...

What I seek to achieve is the body/brake light to just stay normal and behind, not interfering/ghosting through the flare.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Again, if you are using TWO materials using alpha transparency (as in the level of tranparency defined by alpha channel) you need to set the "alpha sorting" correctly - higher value=higher priority

But I think that you misinterpret the blend settings, they are really to dictate how the shader behaves within THE material - not (directly) how it interact with others.

Zero/Zero is an odd blend setting.

This would be a "standard" T1 alpha material setting:
    Regular_T1_Alpha.jpg

"Alpha Sort Offset" is optional, but required in case of what I mentioned above...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015