Blender: Grass/Dirt Shader (inspired by Gijs video)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by adamfarmer, Sep 30, 2016.

1. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Hi all,

I've just started to work my way through Gijs' excellent track building videos and got inspired to re-create the grass/dirt shader in Blender.

I've made the shader node tree in cylces because that's where I'm comfortable, but once you've done your painting it's fine to change to Blender Render as the vertex colours will be retained.

As in Gijs' video, start with a black base, use Mix for green and red, and Add for blue. I've set up a colour panel for these 4 colours to easily switch. I've also grouped some of the nodes to make it look more tidy and make more sense.

This is a little rushed so I haven't got the Blender/gJED colour tones too similar, but you can see exactly what you're painting on the mesh and the effect it's having.

One more thing - Blender doesn't support alpha channel vertex painting yet although it's due to be added soon. A shame because it would offer more control, but it's not a huge loss!

The Joesville grass textures are packed in the blend file so it should just work when you open it. You can Append the shader to your own project, or just mess around with this file.

Hope its helpful. BIG thanks to Gijs!

Adam

View attachment 20882

Download Blend file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmSBACT5SF1xg_cPa5ACns5lGJU6Xg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
    Gijs van Elderen likes this.
  2. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Thanks to Vincent for pointing out I messed up my link to the .blend file.

Now corrected in the first post.